Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little concerned. I had to add one quart of oil at about 4000 mi
Had my first oil change at 5000 mi. I going in for my 2nd oil change at 10,000 mi and it is down a quart.

I have owned many hondas in the past. They have never used any oil not even a measurable amount on breakin.

Has any one seen anything like this. I hope I didn't get the lemon out of the bunch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine burns oil but I'm not concerned about it.

I haven't checked it in awhile since the first oil change tho, so I can't provide an update.

Read this thread

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your first oil change was good...no oil consumption? so only your second change that you have noticed it. Factory oil...is a special from Honda which was in there first. So it must what your dealership is using for oil or what ever you used. Try switching to a different oil...right now im using Castrol Syntec Blend....3200 miles with no consumption....that would be my suggestion.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I put one quart in 1000 mi before my first oil change at 5000. now it needed another at 10000. Dealership no nothings blew me off said it was normal to burn a quart of oil in 5000 miles. I think I will go to another dealer and talk to a mechanic trained on the new pilot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
could be true...what's your driving like hwy or mostly city? I bet a lot of 09 pilots burn oil majority of the owners never really check.

To have a piece of mind have a different mechanic check everything under there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
416 Posts
hondamen said:
I am a little concerned. I had to add one quart of oil at about 4000 mi
Had my first oil change at 5000 mi. I going in for my 2nd oil change at 10,000 mi and it is down a quart.

I have owned many hondas in the past. They have never used any oil not even a measurable amount on breakin.

Has any one seen anything like this. I hope I didn't get the lemon out of the bunch.
I did my first oil change at about 8000, according to MM. Before that at about 4000 - 5000 I noticed the oil on the lower side, so I added about half of the quart of Honda oil. I don't know if it was lower initially because I didn't check... :bangh:
After first change (to Mobil1) oil stays on the same level as with other Hondas I had. I am at 13000 right now.

M :4:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These were 95% highway miles

In all my mechanical knowlege which is limited on new vehicles. It is my understanding that an engine can only burn oil thru the rings or the valve guides. I have rebuilt several chevy V8s and several 4 cylinders from vw to nissan. After the rings seat the mechanics that helped me informed me that an engine should not burn a significant amount of oil if the rings are seated and the valves and heads are working properly. I will investigate further and post my findings.

By the way if I had followed my service minder it read 50% at the time of the second oil change. I believe the pilot holds 4.5 quarts that means I was running on 3.5 quarts if I had waited to change or check the oil until the 15% mark came up I think that my low oil light would have been on by then. NOT GOOD in my opinion

·
Registered
416 Posts
hondamen said:
These were 95% highway miles
By the way if I had followed my service minder it read 50% at the time of the second oil change. I believe the pilot holds 4.5 quarts that means I was running on 3.5 quarts if I had waited to change or check the oil until the 15% mark came up I think that my low oil light would have been on by then. NOT GOOD in my opinion
You are right. But we should check oil frequently and add if low. You can wait for the oil change to 15% but not with oil check...

·
Registered
106 Posts
We have about 5500 miles on ours with a 50/50 mix city/highway driving. I checked the oil last week and had to add a quart. I never added oil to my '05 Pilot during its 68,000 miles. Nor have I added oil to my '08 Acura, and I change its oil on the MM intervals. I am concerned with a new engine consuming oil, but this thread seems to make it a common thing with the 2009 model.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Why is consumption of oil on a new car "normal"? Of all the cars I've owned, I've never had to add a quart anytime in any car I've owned. I take that back, I have add a quart every now and again in my '80 Triumph TR7 convertible. :3:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
humanoid said:
Why is consumption of oil on a new car "normal"? Of all the cars I've owned, I've never had to add a quart anytime in any car I've owned. I take that back, I have add a quart every now and again in my '80 Triumph TR7 convertible. :3:
Some minute amount of oil should remain on the cylinder walls, even as the oil ring passes. It gets burned on combustion. It's normal for any engine to "use" oil. I had a '91 Taurus that used almost no oil between (6000 mi) oil changes. My Pilot takes about a quart or less between (7500 mi) oil changes. Both are normal. I'd say, anything up to 2 qt between oil changes is acceptable. I certainly wouldn't overhaul the engine because it uses 2 qt between changes, assuming everything else is okay.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oil burning is not "normal" in new cars

Oil should remain in the cumbustion chamber?!! In a new car? In a Honda? Wrong, that is called burning oil, which is unaccepatble for a ULEV rated engine like the 2009 Pilot's because it creates elevated hydrocarbon (HC) emissions.

Oil consumption depends primarily on two things: the valve guides and piston rings. If the valve guides are worn, or if there's too much clearance between the valve stems and guides, or if the valve guide seals are worn, cracked, missing, broken or improperly installed, the engine will suck oil down the guides and into the cylinders. Spark plugs get fouled, catalytic converts get damaged, and emissions increase.

I've owned 6 Honda products, this is the first, the first, that I ever had to add oil to it. I had a '05 Pilot, '86 Prelude, '92 Accord, '96 Accord, '02 Odyssey, '08 TL and never had to add oil.

Brand new 2009 Pilots should not need oil with low miles. No new model cars should be a quart low under normal driving conditions (highway or city driving). I think given the comments by 2009 owners, we are all surprised to see we need to add oil at 5000 miles where previous ownership experiences did not require it . Our collective experiences say it is not "normal" for a new car to need oil before the first oil change of its life.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting

As my revious post said, Hondas in my experience, do not burn oil in normal driving and under 100K miles. So I maintain it is not normal for Honda engines. But I found this on http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/motor_oil_consumption.htm

Before we review the reasons why oil consumption occurs, it should be noted that a degree of consumption should be anticipated in all engines. What is considered normal or acceptable, however, will vary from one engine application to the next. For example, Ford Motor Company considers consumption as high as one quart of oil per 1000 miles to be acceptable in a gasoline engine. For large diesel engines used in over the road trucking applications, many manufacturers are not concerned until consumption reaches one gallon oil oil per 10,000 miles of operation.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
All engines burn oil, some more than others. While most new engines probably burn less than 1 qt/5K miles, this rate of consumption is COMPLETELY WITHIN NORMAL TOLERANCES and is not a cause for any concern whatsoever. Honda considers anything up to 1 qt per 1000 miles acceptable, so your consumption is 20% of the acceptable limit.

Complain to Honda till the cows come home, but unless there is a leak or some other easy fix, I can guarantee you that they are not going to tear down and rebuild your engine for $8K just because of this rate of oil consumption. And you wouldn't want them doing this even if they could.

- Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK
Just recieved a call from the lead mechanic trained on the 09 pilot at the Dealership. Here is what he said.

1. The piston to block clearances have increased in the past few years. He has seen more carbon built up when tearing a new engine down over the last few years. (I wish I had a repair manual to verify this statement)

2. He stated that the longer oil change intervals make the oil consumption more noticable. I would agree with this statement. BUT my hondas of the past at 3000 or 3500mi had no noticable oil consumption. I'll bet when I check my oil at 3000 it will be down 1/2 qt. So I'm not biting on this one.

I guess I am going to switch to Mobil 1 on the next oil change. See if that makes a difference.

I just know that as the Mechanic mentioned not all of that burned oil is making it out to the tail pipe. Which means that the deposits in the engine will be be ???? maybe causing problems in the future???

·
Registered
416 Posts
hondamen said:
OK
I guess I am going to switch to Mobil 1 on the next oil change. See if that makes a difference.

I just know that as the Mechanic mentioned not all of that burned oil is making it out to the tail pipe. Which means that the deposits in the engine will be be ???? maybe causing problems in the future???
Please let us know if you see the difference after you change to Mobil1. I thought I saw the difference, but didn't pay enough attention to quantify it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
hondamen said:
BUT my hondas of the past at 3000 or 3500mi had no noticable oil consumption. I'll bet when I check my oil at 3000 it will be down 1/2 qt. So I'm not biting on this one.
Where in the warranty does it say that the oil consumption on your new car must be less than your old car? What your old car did or what some cars do has no bearing on whether your new car is performing to specification. I'm sure there are some Pilots that get 1 mpg more than the fleet average, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with every Pilot that is returning average mileage.

Also, there is some evidence that engines that consume moderate amounts of oil like this actually last longer than engines that have very low oil consumption. The small extra oil consumed helps upper-end cylinder lubrication.

- Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone feel that the 2009 Pilot's cylinder deactivation system may in any way be connected to increased oil consumption?

When up to half the engine's cylinders are not firing does anything different happen to the oil or oil flow?

Is there any more or less of a reason to use synthetic oil with this active-cylinder-managed engine?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
ed1 said:
Does anyone feel that the 2009 Pilot's cylinder deactivation system may in any way be connected to increased oil consumption?

When up to half the engine's cylinders are not firing does anything different happen to the oil or oil flow?

Is there any more or less of a reason to use synthetic oil with this active-cylinder-managed engine?
The engine doesn't actively change the oil flow in the engine when cylinders are deactivated.

Cylinders that are not firing will have their valves remain closed to minimize pumping losses which essentially turns the combustion chamber into a big air spring; this and the fact they run cooler might affect oil consumption, but I have no idea if it would be higher or lower - probably negligible.

I'm not aware that a VCM engine has any different lubrication requirements that either encourage or discourage synthetic over conventional oil.

- Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whizmo,

I never said that Honda promised or quaranteed that my oil consumption would be the same as my previous vehicles. I am just concerned about the amount of consumtion.

I have personally disassembled engines that were burining a quart every thousand miles. The were blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe when under load. When you looked inside the cylinders and the valves and the manifold it was amazing the amount of crap in there.

Honda like every car manufacturer is just covering ther BUTT when they say what is considered NORMAL oil consumption.
If my NEW rig currently had that type of consumption I would be selling the vehicle.

I am not at all complaining about the oil consumption at this point. I was just curious as to WHY. And now I know. Honda has increased the clearances on the piston to cylinder wall.
Now I know to check my oil inbetween oil changes. Which I never did on my previous Hondas.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts