Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil at 3750 miles and only got just a touch over 4 quarts out. I typically account for some loss that you never get back out of the filter, but this is pretty far off from the 5.1 quarts that you put back into it during a change. I know that some will tell you that it's fairly common for a new vehicle to consume oil until seating is really complete, but I've never seen it on a newer (last 10 years) vehicle. I've had some cars burn oil later in life, but never in the beginning. The first thing that came to my mind was the break-in oil. This is my first Honda, so I'm not sure if this is normal for their engines that come from the factory without friction modifying oil. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this typical for new Hondas with break-in oil?

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
Curiosity.... Did you check your oil level b4 you changed it? Are you DIY?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I honestly did not look and took it for granted that the factory would have sent it out with the correct amount of oil, but I agree. You never know! I guess we'll see in another 3,750 when the Castrol GTX that I just put in comes out and the Mobil1 goes in.

Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine

xyzzy - Know you have commented on the oil change interval thread. Mine gets the 1000 mile and 3000 mile change in the beginning. I now have 10,300 miles on mine and near 5000 on the existing oil (usually never go this long). My Pilot's level is on the top circle and has not used a drop. I credit this to good driving, good living, and getting that metallic mess out of my engine as soon as possible. Take care - BP

·
Registered
199 Posts
xyzzy

Have another suggestion. Go get some of the "Foamy Engine Cleaner" that I believe is sold by Radiator Speciality Company. It comes in the blue can. Spray it on a cool engine and let stand for a few minutes, then jus spray it off with a garden hose with a sprayer nozzle. Looks like shaving cream. The engine will look so good that you will want to paint the lettering on the plastic cover (and stripes-will send photo later). This will make you want to look at the motor often. Then while you are looking at it, you can simply = Check the oil. BP

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always a good idea to check the oil. I forget how quickly I got spoiled by my wife's Toyota. I put 5 quarts in, and nearly every drop (minus what I would expect in the filter) comes out. I'm hoping to get the same from my Pilot.

I've always been a DIY for service and this just caught me off guard.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
1st Oil Change

xyzzy,

Chris, how did that oil look after 3750 mi.

I'm wrestling with that decision (on when to change) and leaning towards 3-4000 mi.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looked like, well...like used oil! LOL. I must admit that I've never subscribed to the theory that you can tell how well an oil is holding up by the look. It was black as can be, but that's the way I always see it when draining. I've even run short cycles before in other engines (1-2k) just before switching to synthetic and the oil was black coming out. I honestly think that the oil turns black more as a result of the heat as opposed to wear.

What I did notice is that it was nice and clean. There wasn't any metallic glint from shavings or anything. I've seen what that looks like (mostly from motorcycles), but this stuff was just plain black.

The reason I drained at 3750 is that we've had quite a large number of 90 degree days around here and that's listed as one of the qualifiers in the manual for "severe" conditions.
I still plan on changing at 5k intervals with Mobil1, but my neighbor is lobbying for 3750 changes with Castrol GTX. I'll let you know if he's successful in convincing me.
:D

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understand, got it now. I'm just so used to the other question (color), that I made a bad assumption, sorry! I wouldn't think that metal shavings would be an issue in modern engines. Put your mind at ease and change on the schedule that you are comfortable with. There are more beliefs on the subject of oil than there are religions. Again, just do what makes you feel comfortable.

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
xyzzy said:
Good question. I honestly did not look and took it for granted that the factory would have sent it out with the correct amount of oil, but I agree. You never know! I guess we'll see in another 3,750 when the Castrol GTX that I just put in comes out and the Mobil1 goes in.

Chris
Don't feel too bad b/c I haven't yet checked my oil level too. I got the Pilot on 8/15 and I think I am going to make my business to check the level the next time I drive my pilot.

If you see my signature, I used to have '78 Accord which never comsumed any oil till I put in Mobil 1. Mobil 1 gave me noticeable performance gain but I had to add in a qt/2000 miles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
oil

I found my oil down about 2/3 qt after about 2200 miles. I just added 2/3 qt a 5w whatever it recommends. The dealer I spoke w/had no idea why you shouldn't change the oil early.
The owners manual says not to. The shop manual doesn't mention early changes??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oil Consumption?

3500 miles and steady at the full line.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just changed the oil at 2950 miles, really had to wrestle with my mind to wait that long. I've always been a proponent of a very early oil change on a new vehicle, usually I do it at about 500. Got pretty much the full 5 quarts or so out, looked about right in my drain pan. Very, very few metal particles in the oil, but there were some, completely normal on a new engine.

Al

1 - 15 of 15 Posts