Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
So... My 2013 Pilot has less than 60k on it. VCMuzzler has been in it since about 4k miles. Mobil 1 synthetic since new, literally; Drove it from the delivering dealer and did a full service on it. It uses absolutely no oil between changes @50% oil life per the MM. Should I pull the PCV for cleaning/inspection/replacement?

Confession: I very seldom check the engine oil level. It gets a look after an oil change to verify that I got the right amount in there, but after that it might only get checked a couple times before the next change. I've gotten so used to checking and seeing the level still at the full mark on the cable-stick that I'm probably getting too complacent. Here in Oregon, we can't pump our own gas, so that traditional oil-check ritual while fueling isn't a good option. Attendants prefer that we don't even step out of the car while fueling, lest we be tempted to "help". I hope there's something before three "Hail Marys" that will cure me of this negligence habit I'm building.

Out of a certain amount of guilt after reading this thread, I did go pop the hood and check the oil level. Then spent a few minutes cleaning the orange handle on the dipstick. It was a little dusty...

Is there any hope for me?

Signed: Sinking Sinner

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
So... My 2013 Pilot has less than 60k on it. VCMuzzler has been in it since about 4k miles. Mobil 1 synthetic since new, literally; Drove it from the delivering dealer and did a full service on it. It uses absolutely no oil between changes @50% oil life per the MM. Should I pull the PCV for cleaning/inspection/replacement?

Confession: I very seldom check the engine oil level. It gets a look after an oil change to verify that I got the right amount in there, but after that it might only get checked a couple times before the next change. I've gotten so used to checking and seeing the level still at the full mark on the cable-stick that I'm probably getting too complacent. Here in Oregon, we can't pump our own gas, so that traditional oil-check ritual while fueling isn't a good option. Attendants prefer that we don't even step out of the car while fueling, lest we be tempted to "help". I hope there's something before three "Hail Marys" that will cure me of this negligence habit I'm building.

Out of a certain amount of guilt after reading this thread, I did go pop the hood and check the oil level. Then spent a few minutes cleaning the orange handle on the dipstick. It was a little dusty...

Good question on an obviously working PCV valve. My OCD would probably prompt me to check it anyway. Clean it with brake clean, possibly install new O-rings if they were loosing their elasticity.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts

Dear Sinking Sinner,

Yes there is still hope for you. Everyone suffers from "dusty dipstick" every once in a while. It is nothing to be ashamed of and there are various treatments for that. The one issue that suffering from 'dusty dipstick" can cause is stuck dipstick.

Stuck dipstick can be quite debilitating if not treated. Stuck dipstick should be treated within 4 hours of the onset of the condition. Failing to treat stuck dipstick can result in permanent damage and even be fatal if not promptly treated. If allowed to continue stuck dipstick may require surgical intervention to remedy the condition if allowed to persist for too long of a time period. If left untreated a complete and fatal seizure can occur as it will be impossible to assure that the vehicle is maintaining a proper operating fluid level.

To mitigate stuck dipstick you first need to find a Post it Note and write on it, Check Oil Level. Next take that Post it Note and stick on the dash near the instrument cluster so as to be visible when checking the speedometer/gages, but not in a position to block out any of the gages. Finally make sure to check the fluid level every time you fill the vehicle with gas or once every 2 weeks, which ever comes first. This will mitigate suffering from dusty dipstick and will prevent the ever dreaded stuck dipstick disease from occurring.

Good luck and happy motoring.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My Pilot used to go through a quart in about 3,000 miles. I've had the muzzler on for 60k miles since I got it but I think it has actually started to burn/lose less oil over that time cause it's only lost half a quart (per the hatching on the dipstick - it's halfway between H-L) after about 3,000 miles.

Halfway down the Nail Grease maintenance list, when I clean the EGR/change PCV/replace spark plugs we'll see how much smoother it's running.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease
21 - 25 of 25 Posts