Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just recently bought a Silver Pilot !!! And I was reading the manual. I noticed that the recommended oil changes for normal driving conditions is once every 7000. It has been awhile since I bought a new car (since '97) and was always accustomed to changing the oil every 3000. Just wondering if any of you guys are following the every 7000 or changing it every 3000? Thanks!

-Arnie

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
congratulations.....great color ;)

there are plenty of theread discussing this topic if you search for them.

If you do not do severe driving you should be fine with 7500 mile oil changes....
best of luck

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, I was told by the service dept. that the intervals between oil changes was every 7000 miles as well. Its been ingrained in me to have my oil changed every 3k that I feel like its abusing my new Pilot if I wait to have the oil changed every 7k.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Anyone have a reason (other than cost) not to change more frequently than recommended by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
tim.s said:
Anyone have a reason (other than cost) not to change more frequently than recommended by the manufacturer?
I do most of the maintenance using the severe schedule, which is every 3,750 miles for oil changes. In 100,000 miles, that's 26.66 changes. Doing oil changes every 3000 miles is 33.33 changes in 100,000 miles, or 6.67 more times.

At $25 a change, it's $166.75 more, or .0016675 cents per mile more in 100,000 miles. I'd say the only reason not to is you now have almost 7 more times to possibly strip the drain plug threads or have a filter problem, etc. resulting in a more expensive repair.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
tim.s said:
there is no other reason..... except there was some discussion that the original oil has some additives to help break in so it should not be changed too soon.....

but after the first oil change no reason but $$$$$$

·
Registered
160 Posts
My first change was at 1500, and I will change it again at 3000. After that I will change it around 4000 miles apart. Only thing I see is the problem is if you don't have the time. It took me around 45 minutes to do it, but I think next time I could whip it out in 30. Only one gripe is when you take off the oil filter, you get this flood of hot oil that makes quite a mess. I guess the way the oil flows through it, it cannot empty out all the way with the drain plug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did my first oil change at 2000 miles on my silver pilot, and can't afford to leave the original oil until 7K. The original oil is just 5W-20 oil for break-in purpose ( don't believe Honda added any additives) and its chemical properties will change quickly during break-in period due to tight clearance. So recommend to have first oil change after 1500 miles.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My Oil Changes

I'm getting used to not changing the oil on my PILOT every 3,000 miles, but the other recommendation to change your oil every 2,000 miles is a stupid waste of money.

I know what the owner's manual says, I know what I'm used to doing (changing oil at 3k), so I decided to split the difference.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles and I've talked with my Service Manager at Ralph Schomp Honda in Littleton, Colorado (yes kemosabe, another plug for my dealer) and he my maintenance plan is a good one, but if I get into "severe" use I should switch to the 3,750 miles plan for oil changes.

The 5k plan I have also works well, because it coincides with my "rotate and balance" schedule for the tires.

Anyone who is changing their oil on the PILOT sooner than the 3,750 plan (unless your PILOT is under horrendously extreme/severe use) is just pissing money down the drain needlessly.

Also, if you have any questions on oil changes - just follow your owner's manual and you'll be just fine.

And for those of you who've never seen your owner's manual - it's that white book with blue letters sitting inside your glovebox. I highly recommend you read it. You'll find many of your questions will be "magically" answered.

Just my opinion!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
tim.s said:
Yes, the environment!!
With cars getting cleaner, waste fluids are becoming a sigificant portion of the total polution they generate. :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do agree that every 2000 is a little to early. Todays oils are better than lets say 10 to 15 years ago and are made to last longer. But of course changing your oil according to your driving makes sense too. In Hawaii where I live, our traffic is a mess. I spend at least 1 hour every day in traffic to travel 30 miles. So I feel my driving is a lot of stop and go to say the least. So I feel comfortable changing my oil every 4000 - 5000 miles. On another subject though I may change to Synthetic oil later on.:2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I happened to check my oil today.

It's been just over 2K since and the oil to my surprise appears as clean as the day I poured it in.

My other vehicles oil gets the dirty brown look after 1K.

You can't go on looks alone, but it sure gives me a bit more confidence when it comes to extended entervals.

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
sagepearl said:
I do agree that every 2000 is a little to early. Todays oils are better than lets say 10 to 15 years ago and are made to last longer. But of course changing your oil according to your driving makes sense too. In Hawaii where I live, our traffic is a mess. I spend at least 1 hour every day in traffic to travel 30 miles. So I feel my driving is a lot of stop and go to say the least. So I feel comfortable changing my oil every 4000 - 5000 miles. On another subject though I may change to Synthetic oil later on.:2:
I was told by an "expert mech" that if you're going to use synthetic oil and get the max benefit from it, you need to start using it from the very beginning in a new car. Using it later on is just a waste of money. :1:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting, I've been using Castrol Syntec in my 93 Honda Civic for 6 years. I change the oil and filter (just a plain jane Canadian Tire filter) every 20,000 km's, around once a year. It just got back from a tune up, two weeks ago, the mechanic said the motor was in excellent shape, compression was near factory original.

Most literature indicates that you can safely double or triple the time between your oil changes when you use synthetic. Something to think about once your warranty expires.

There are a couple other threads on this website that discuss the advantages of synthetic motor oil. I'm a firm believer, the two side benefits I've noticed when I changed to synthetic are: a slight (3-5% increase) in mpg and a much easier start in cold weather (-30 to -40C) when there are no plug in's.

My two bits .:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
vkarcher said:

I was told by an "expert mech" that if you're going to use synthetic oil and get the max benefit from it, you need to start using it from the very beginning in a new car. Using it later on is just a waste of money. :1:
well to the contrary. it is better to use standard oil during the break in period, so the seals break in. using synthetic oils early will prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sagepearl said:

well to the contrary. it is better to use standard oil during the break in period, so the seals break in. using synthetic oils early will prevent it from happening.
That might be true 20 years ago (and oil were labeled SB :) )

Nowadays, Porsche, Mecedes & Corvette all filled with Mobil-1 out of the factory.
The design tolence of these engines are so good that there is no need for special break in procedures.

Tat

·
Registered
163 Posts
Months ignored

I guess all have ignored one important factor - month. I think oil needs to be changed every 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. So, it depends on each individual. I drive 18 miles a day and it comes to roughly 3,000 miles for 6 months and 7,500 miles for 12 months. I can't wait that long for a oil change.

Do you think I should wait 7,500 miles for a oil change or every 6 months?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Months ignored

hondalover said:
I guess all have ignored one important factor - month. I think oil needs to be changed every 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. So, it depends on each individual. I drive 18 miles a day and it comes to roughly 3,000 miles for 6 months and 7,500 miles for 12 months. I can't wait that long for a oil change.

Do you think I should wait 7,500 miles for a oil change or every 6 months?
Lets see, if it says "7500 miles or 6 monthss" it means 7500 or 6 months.
If the 6 months comes first, that is when you change the oil!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: Re: Months ignored

N_Jay said:

Lets see, if it says "7500 miles or 6 monthss" it means 7500 or 6 months.
If the 6 months comes first, that is when you change the oil!
brutal dude! :1pat:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Months ignored

Jet-Pilot-64 said:
brutal dude! :1pat:
No Way Man, like you know, sometimes you just got to read the words on the page, like ya-know, like!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts