Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot has 2000 miles and I am planning to do a trip that is about 2400 miles round trip. Should I change the oil before I go, or after the trip?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
After

5000 seems to be the recommended minimum for the first oil change.

If you ealy believe that you meet the severe oil chnage requirments, you might consider otherwise, but even if the first 2000 were "severe", I would guess the trip would not be. Unless you are towing, or carrying a large car top load.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wait, Wait, Wait!!!!

Honda recommends that PILOT owners do NOT change their oil for the first time until 7,500 miles.

I've read this in the owners manual, and Honda doesn't explain why, but they say you can chance the oil at whatever interval you want after the initial LOF is done.

So, unless you're using your PILOT to tow a ton of crap or using it in what is considered a "severe" manor, just wait.

And besides, your "Maintanence Required" light won't start blinking until you hit 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is all interesting. I was given a Service Maintenance Book when I picked up my car. On each page there is a recommended maintenance schedule that is to be performed and certain mileage or time intervals and a place for the dealer to stamp and date. The first page is labeled: Every 2,500 miles or 3 months" and it says that there should be a lube, oil and filter change and this interval. My dealer rep also told me when I picked up the car that I need to get the first oil changed at 2,500 miles.

Am I being bamboozled by the dealer?

Anyone else have a similar maintenance schedule given to them?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Tom said:

Am I being bamboozled by the dealer?
In a word, "YES"

2500 miles?
That would be double severe use!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I was given a Service Maintenance Book when I picked up my car.
How convenient.... for the dealer..:rolleyes: Follow what's in your manual.

The following is for a CR-V, so I know yours is probably different.

My dealer assumed I was going to follow the severe schedule, which I do not, and even then, they didn't do what was scheduled in the manual.. They wanted to change the transmission fluid at 15,000 miles!! The severe schedule states 60,000 miles for the first change and normal is 120,000.

Anyone try the ownerlink? I checked the maintenance schedule for my vehicle and it does not list all that should be done at major service intervals.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Our dealer placed the oil change reminder sticker on the windshield and listed the first oil change due at 3,750. I believe this is the "severe" schedule which I would have followed anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Owner Link Info

Quote from Owner Link on first oil change (under maintenance FAQs):

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

FWIW. I changed mine with 3000 miles on it this past weekend. I wonder if it is possible to replace with this special oil? I called my dealer and they said they have been changing at 3,750 on all Pilots.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Response from Honda

Called Honda and they told me changing oil at 3000 will not be a problem and is really intended for the initial 1000 miles or so. He told me that at 3000, the breakin is essentially complete and that severe conditions call for oil change at 3750 (which is close enough to 3000). Does anyone know what is different in this oil (additives, viscosity, etc)? The Honda guy though these were the differences, but wasn't sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts