Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just changed my oil by myself for the 1st time and I let it drain till nothing was coming out then filled 4.5 quarts and now according to the dip stick it’s way too much. What’s the deal?
2015 Honda Pilot EX-L

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
So I just changed my oil by myself for the 1st time and I let it drain till nothing was coming out then filled 4.5 quarts and now according to the dip stick it’s way too much. What’s the deal?
2015 Honda Pilot EX-L
Start the engine. The oil must circulate. Then check it.

Reactions: eragsdale

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Overfilling is bad, the oil can foam. Can you measure what came out? You used the right quantity as long as you got the right amount drained.

If the numbers are all adding up I guess drive it a couple days and check it. I always check it after it cools off.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I did that. Still high. But I drove it around the block and it seems to be ok now. And no leaks! Go me! 😬
If you put in 4.5 quarts, you got nothing to worry about. 👍 If your vehicle was on ramps or jacked up on the right side, there may have been a little oil still left in the pan (speculation).

Reactions: Hondapark

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Did you remove the filter too? That holds some oil so if you didn’t remove the filter that may be why you’re showing as overfilled.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
2015 Honda Pilot EX-L
Assuming you put on a new oil filter, it has to fill up which will bring down the dipstick reading.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Did you remove the filter too? That holds some oil so if you didn’t remove the filter that may be why you’re showing as overfilled.
Assuming you put on a new oil filter, it has to fill up which will bring down the dipstick reading.
Surely they she replaced the oil filter... Surely. It's like Butter on Toast, Syrup on Pancakes, Ketchup and Fries, Pickles and Ice Cream.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I’m a girl but not stupid. Yes, I replaced the filter too. It’s reading a good level now. Thanks guys 🇺🇸

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
My doctor would advise against eating any of those things, except maybe the ketchup - but then what would you put it on?
Well I'm not supposed to be eating fries either, so not much ketchup use.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Surely they she replaced the oil filter... Surely. It's like Butter on Toast, Syrup on Pancakes, Ketchup and Fries, Pickles and Ice Cream.
LOL I’m a girl but not stupid. Yes, I replaced the filter too. It’s reading a good level now. Thanks guys 🇺🇸
Got that corrected.
Oil change now, transmission fluid later. Next thing you know, you'll be doing a timing belt water pump job.
😁👍

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Not supposed to be eating fries ... or not eating fries? You're not supposed to be speeding either, especially around curves. Try and behave willya?
Why does everyone automatically think that I'm a Speed Demon just because the highways I drive on are all 75mph? Lol

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
2015 Honda Pilot EX-L
FWIW- I changed the Oil and filter recently, before the Negative temps hit outside.
My garage was 24degrees this morning and the doors had been closed all night too. It's COLD out.

Anyways- I changed the oil and filter,
Supertech Full Syn FTW, SuperTech filter too!
I put the whole 5 qts in! Yeah, I'm a radical like that! I don't care. 4.2 qts? 4.5qts? FT, I'm putting all 5 in! LOL
Checked it the next day- barely even a mm over the hash mark thingy. - PERFECT!

Reactions: eragsdale

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
FWIW, the S2000 oil filter is a tad longer and otherwise fits perfectly. Holds just enough more oil that I don't feel at all guilty putting a full 5 qts in the car from the Mobil-1 Wal-Mart super jug. I keep a few Bosch D3312 in my parts cabinet, but see that they are getting hard to find in the market right now.

Oh, and pre-fill the filter with oil before installing it. Saves some dry-run time on first start after oil is changed.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Why? Because we have you on tape speeding around 25mph curves on those squishy, stiff sidewall, but slippery tread Sumis.

Um, not me.
Riding on Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s makes your Pilot feel like...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts