Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready for 400 miles trip and the service minder just turned on. Should I be concerned with no doing the oil change prior to tomorrow trip. Any suggestions on what to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
The MM will light up when you have 15% oil life.

The following chart will explain exactly when service is due:

Oil Life %MessageWhat to do
15%​
Service Due SoonPlan to take your vehicle in for service.
5%​
Service Due NowTake your vehicle in now for maintenance.
0%​
Service Past DueService is overdue. Take your vehicle in now.

I think you can do the oil change after you come back from your trip.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I’m getting ready for 400 miles trip and the service minder just turned on. Should I be concerned with no doing the oil change prior to tomorrow trip. Any suggestions on what to do?

My own opinion--try to have the service well before you get to the 15 percent oil life level. A full 100 percent service cycle in the Honda is about 10k miles. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's just too many miles, even with synthetic oil. Just to pick a number, try to schedule the oil change when you hit 25 percent oil life.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
My own opinion--try to have the service well before you get to the 15 percent oil life level. A full 100 percent service cycle in the Honda is about 10k miles. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's just too many miles, even with synthetic oil. Just to pick a number, try to schedule the oil change when you hit 25 percent oil life.
If you're resetting the maintenance minder before the oil life gets down to 15%, or less, then you're missing the codes for all the other maintenance items that might be due.

For the "old-fashioned" types, who prefer a shorter oil change interval than is called for by the maintenance minder, do an extra oil change when the oil life reaches 50% - but do not reset the maintenance minder at that time.
Then, when the oil life reaches 5%, or less, do the "regularly scheduled" oil change, along with whatever other maintenance is called for by the displayed codes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The "service due soon" message shouldn't appear until the oil life gets down to 15%.
You’re right. I just checked the oil percentage and it is at 15%. I don’t mess with any of the notifications. The message just popped up. Unfortunately, I will not have time to take in for service until I return from my trip.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you're resetting the maintenance minder before the oil life gets down to 15%, or less, then you're missing the codes for all the other maintenance items that might be due.

For the "old-fashioned" types, who prefer a shorter oil change interval than is called for by the maintenance minder, do an extra oil change when the oil life reaches 50% - but do not reset the maintenance minder at that time.
Then, when the oil life reaches 5%, or less, do the "regularly scheduled" oil change, along with whatever other maintenance is called for by the displayed codes.
That's good advice. Since we are stuck with the onboard MM, it's probably best not to get it out of synch. I do wish that Honda would simply publish a maintenance schedule linked to mileage. I guess that would be too simple. Might let the average person actually take care of their car. I will simply add in an "extra" oil change at about 50 percent, without resetting the MM. This is what a local dealer mech recommended, anyway.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My MM shows 15% when I only had 3,5xx. I wonder if MM is malfunction....

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
My MM shows 15% when I only had 3,5xx. I wonder if MM is malfunction....
Before the maintenance minder was introduced, 3,750 miles was the oil change interval for use under severe service conditions, such as mostly with trips of 5 miles or less (10 miles or less in freezing weather), and/or in 90°+ temperatures, and/or stop-and-go driving, and/or towing and/or driving on mountainous roads.
Does any of that apply to your driving conditions?

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
10k miles is an approximation, based on what I've seen, ...
Before the maintenance minder was introduced, 7,500 miles was the specified oil change interval based on use under normal service conditions - and that was with conventional motor oil.

Mobil claims that you can run Mobil 1 full synthetic oil for 15-20K miles, and Honda specifies that the oil filter has to be changed only at every other oil change.
So, if you are using an appropriate synthetic oil and the Honda filter (or one that is comparable or "better"), is 10K really too long of an interval for an oil change?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Arguments can be made both pro/con on whether changing oil more often than suggested has any measurable benefit, but regardless, worrying about whether you go over/under by a few hundred miles is silly. Once the MM gets near 0% then schedule a service at your convenience, but if you do it a little early (or late) really doesn't matter.

- Mark

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
I pride myself in going longer than the MM says. But I will be changing it a 0% this next time because of the pandemic. We've been eatting in the Pilot at our favorite restaurants with the engine running.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
370 Posts
The MM is great in my opinion. I Like that it tells you based on how you drive when to do services. A one size fits all for oil makes no sense. 5000 miles of stop and go short trip city driving is like 20K miles of 1 hour highway none stop driving. Our 2 commutes are great for keeping oil and engines in good shape. I get 10-12K miles on the pilot MM and it also tells me to do rear end, tire rotations, plugs and it told me to do timing belt at 102K miles (did it already based on yrs). My Yaris doesn't have a MM but I do 1 x a year with Mobile 1 oil and filter which is 20-22K miles. My wife drives 1 hour one way at 70-80 MPH. I go 20 mins one way non stop at 55-60 MPH. We swap cars based on needs but those 2 commutes are great for piling on miles but not hard ones.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm not sure why there's so much heartburn about the MM. I pretty much ignore it until it tells me the vehicle needs service -- based on my driving habits -- and then go get the service done. Insisting on a 3k, 5k, or "whatever"k oil change might give you peace of mind, but it's completely unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts