Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I find out when the oil was changed last? I bought my 2017 Honda Pilot used in March with 13,000 miles on it and it now has 20,000 miles on it. The "oil change needs to be done" message came up. We were told that synthetic was used and it should last 20,000 miles NOT 7,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Carfax may tell you. But in terms of the interval, you should follow the maintenance minder. It's possible that it was not reset, but one thing is certain, you absolutely do not want to go 20K miles on your oil. 7K miles is probably about right dependent on driving conditions. Our 2012 has gotten an oil change about every 7K-8K miles based off the maintenance minder. It's got over 100K on it now and we just gave it to our daughter this past weekend. The new 2019 has not gotten an oil change yet.

The oil specification for your Pilot is 0W20 oil, which is available as a full-synthetic or I believe one company makes a synthetic-blend. It's not like someone did you a favor and put synthetic oil in it so you can go 20K miles on an oil change. It simply just does not work that way. Given the features of the 3.5 engine in the Pilot, such as i-VTEC and VCM, you do not want to neglect oil changes.

In comparison, my Toyota uses the same 0W20 oil. It does not have a maintenance minder (that I know of - I don't put enough miles on to hit it). Their oil change specification is 10K miles or annually. It's five years old and only has 22K miles on it. Since I only put about 4K to 5K miles on it per year, it gets changed annually - every November.

·
Registered
223 Posts
7,000 is about right for an oil change. That way you also know it was done right with the correct type of oil. Oil changes are 'cheap insurance'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would agree never go more than 8K miles without changing the oil. 20K is crazy even with synthetic. My company vehicle uses full synthetic and the change interval is 9K per company policy. They get pretty upset if you don't bring it in on time.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I bought my 2017 Honda Pilot used in March with 13,000 miles on it and it now has 20,000 miles on it. The "oil change needs to be done" message came up. We were told that synthetic was used and it should last 20,000 miles NOT 7,000 miles.
One possibility is that Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil was used.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection
Mobil claims that the oil change interval using this product can be extended for up to 20,000 miles or one year.
This also depends upon the use of a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter.
Based upon your present rate of accumulating mileage, the one year interval would equate to about 12,000 miles.

However, Mobil also states that if your vehicle is still under warranty then you should follow the service interval shown in the owner's manual, which is, in the case of your Pilot, determined by the maintenance minder.
Also note that the maintenance minder tells you about other service items that may be due, not just oil changes.
If you ignore the alerts from the maintenance minder, you may be missing out on other essential preventive maintenance.

Regardless of what you choose to do, don't neglect to check the oil level periodically.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Never go 20,000 miles on oil....ever. I just had the oil changed today in my 2018 Pilot that I bought new in June of this year and it only had 6,505 miles on it. My CRV does all hwy and I never go past 8k miles on full synthetic even if the MM is telling me I'm at 40%. If your MM is telling you that you need an oil change than get it done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carfax may tell you. But in terms of the interval, you should follow the maintenance minder. It's possible that it was not reset, but one thing is certain, you absolutely do not want to go 20K miles on your oil. 7K miles is probably about right dependent on driving conditions. Our 2012 has gotten an oil change about every 7K-8K miles based off the maintenance minder. It's got over 100K on it now and we just gave it to our daughter this past weekend. The new 2019 has not gotten an oil change yet.

The oil specification for your Pilot is 0W20 oil, which is available as a full-synthetic or I believe one company makes a synthetic-blend. It's not like someone did you a favor and put synthetic oil in it so you can go 20K miles on an oil change. It simply just does not work that way. Given the features of the 3.5 engine in the Pilot, such as i-VTEC and VCM, you do not want to neglect oil changes.

In comparison, my Toyota uses the same 0W20 oil. It does not have a maintenance minder (that I know of - I don't put enough miles on to hit it). Their oil change specification is 10K miles or annually. It's five years old and only has 22K miles on it. Since I only put about 4K to 5K miles on it per year, it gets changed annually - every November.

Hi, my husband changed the oil with 0W20 with 7,000 miles on the car. We checked the Carfax and it was changed right before we bought it in March. So with that said, we changed it at the recommended interval, I went to reset the "oil change life" and did not get anywhere. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Hi, my husband changed the oil with 0W20 with 7,000 miles on the car. We checked the Carfax and it was changed right before we bought it in March. So with that said, we changed it at the recommended interval, I went to reset the "oil change life" and did not get anywhere. Any suggestions?
I thought you were upset that the MM came on at 7K and not 20K? But, now the oil was changed at 7K and you want to reset it? I'm confused. Either way, it looks like you got your answer in the above post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts