Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change engine oil without jacks? I can reach the oil plug without a jack. And, oil filter seems can be accessed by turning the wheels all the way to the right.

Have anyone done this without jacks?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Why not? No covers have to be removed like on some cars so you have a clear shot.

If you can reach the drain plug, and get a good grip on the filter, go for it!!!!

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
Is it possible to change engine oil without jacks? I can reach the oil plug without a jack. And, oil filter seems can be accessed by turning the wheels all the way to the right.

Have anyone done this without jacks?
Yes,
What kind of oil and filter are you using? 😈

·
Registered
813 Posts
You could try putting 2 wheels up on the curb and 2 on the road. It'll be worth the $50 for the ramps that Daltongang posted above, but if you're skinny and are able to do an oil change on the curb, go for it! I don't know if the underbody covers get in the way of the drain plug tho.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I learned one trick here: wrap your filter in a plastic bag before you unscrew it fully, and catch the spill in the bag.

I learned another one elsewhere: buy an extractor (I love my MityVac) and suck the oil out the dipstick tube. I don't crawl on the ground to change oil anymore.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
I learned one trick here: wrap your filter in a plastic bag before you unscrew it fully, and catch the spill in the bag.

I learned another one elsewhere: buy an extractor (I love my MityVac) and suck the oil out the dipstick tube. I don't crawl on the ground to change oil anymore.
I'm deffinetly going to try the plastic bag. I dont like wearing gloves (nail grease).
Im going to keep crawling around under the vehicles.
Thanks for the tip. 👍

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
I think the OP got his answer. He's changing his oil.
I hope he bought good oil and filter.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You could try putting 2 wheels up on the curb and 2 on the road. It'll be worth the $50 for the ramps that Daltongang posted above, but if you're skinny and are able to do an oil change on the curb, go for it! I don't know if the underbody covers get in the way of the drain plug tho.
There is no under body cover in the engine area as I mentioned in post #2. You can look under the car and see that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of the best Sub $50.00 purchases you can make.
The reason I'm asking "oil change without jack" is because I'm too chicken to craw under jacks. I've read many good reviews on similar ramps you mentioned. However, it really bugs me that the ramp are "C" shaped not "E" shaped. I'm no mechanical engineer, but common sense tells me "C" shape can collapse easily. Probably I'm thinking too much :LOL:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pilot calls for 5.7 qt of oil with filter. I assume this is on a flat surface. If oil is changed on a ramp (car tiled instead of level), it's going to be less than 5.7 qt, right? Sorry, I got distracted from my original question. Just curious.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Pilot calls for 5.7 qt of oil with filter. I assume this is on a flat surface. If oil is changed on a ramp (car tiled instead of level), it's going to be less than 5.7 qt, right? Sorry, I got distracted from my original question. Just curious.
Level ground is best to remove old motor oil.
On level ground, no ramps, I know if you jack up the driver side rear jack point, and remove another .3 of ATF.

Reactions: Captain_Pilot

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
The reason I'm asking "oil change without jack" is because I'm too chicken to craw under jacks. I've read many good reviews on similar ramps you mentioned. However, it really bugs me that the ramp are "C" shaped not "E" shaped. I'm no mechanical engineer, but common sense tells me "C" shape can collapse easily. Probably I'm thinking too much :LOL:
You mean as in C shaped like so may bridge supports you see driving over bridges?

Where is the drain plug in relationship to the pan and vehicle. It is at the bottom of the pan on the rear facing edge facing to the back end of the vehicle. Front end up, drain hole pointing down and oil comes out real easy. Mechanic shops use level because they have something we don't have, either a pit or an expensive lift.

I've used similar steel ramps for years, and years, along with a couple of chock blocks as posted. The ramps are extremely sturdy and chocking the wheels prevents movement. As for worrying about failure, what's going to happen when your under there and a tire all of a sudden goes flat?

Jacks are for raising a vehicle. Once raised on a vehicle should be put on Jack stands. Yes there are many people that are too cheap to buy jack stands. We call them filler items for the newspaper.

To each his own, but for my money I would never put 2 wheels on the curb and 2 wheels in the road. Cub denotes civilization which denotes traffic which means there is some bozo out there driving and texting who could hit the part of you car in the street that you are working on. They have to work harder to hit it up in my driveway or garage.

·
Registered
922 Posts
With the drain plug located at the lower rear of the oil pan, being on jacks with the front end up will drain perhaps a little bit more oil than if the car were sitting level. Not enough in my opinion to worry about it.

It will still take 5.7 quarts to fill it even if on the ramps. However, I put in 5 quarts (I usually use the 5 quart jugs) while it is still on the ramps. I then start the car and back off the ramps. Now when it is on level ground I put in another quart. The extra .3 quart isn't going to cause any problems. I always check the level on the dip stick after driving a few miles and have never had it too high.

Easy-peasy!

Honda Pilot Oil Change

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You mean as in C shaped like so may bridge supports you see driving over bridges?
Good point. I never thought about this.

With the drain plug located at the lower rear of the oil pan, being on jacks with the front end up will drain perhaps a little bit more oil than if the car were sitting level. Not enough in my opinion to worry about it.

It will still take 5.7 quarts to fill it even if on the ramps. However, I put in 5 quarts (I usually use the 5 quart jugs) while it is still on the ramps. I then start the car and back off the ramps. Now when it is on level ground I put in another quart. The extra .3 quart isn't going to cause any problems. I always check the level on the dip stick after driving a few miles and have never had it too high.

Easy-peasy!

Honda Pilot Oil Change
Got it. Thanks. I'm thinking to get a measuring container to be sure the amount of oil goes in = out.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I totally agree with the information posted earlier also about using a large ziplock bag or heavy plastic bag when removing the oil filter. Break the filter loose and then put the bag around it. Turn the filter with the bag around it and the oil will drain into the bag, not all over the under carriage components of the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts