Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to work from home, we just don't drive much anymore. When we do go out, we drive the Pilot. My other car has been sitting in the garage collecting dust. It has been driven for about 50 miles only since last oil change about a year ago. Should I.....1. change both oil and filter, 2. change oil only, 3. do nothing?

Engine oil has few years of shelf life. Since only 50 miles driven, can I assume the oil is still new? Can I be lazy and wait for another year before changing?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You’re not going to get rich with the savings and it sounds like you need a reason to go out. I vote for ‘change’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the gas. Cars are made to be driven. If they just sit, things start to fall apart. Can you force yourself to drive?

The general rule of thumb is change the oil at a minimum 1x/year.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You’re not going to get rich with the savings and it sounds like you need a reason to go out. I vote for ‘change’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The gasohol in the tank and lines sucks up water from the atmosphere and corrodes everything. Best thing you can do is change the oil and take it for a long drive, dump some Stabil in the gas tank and fill it up with ethanol free gasoline. Start it up once a week outside and let it warm up until the fans come on and run the AC to lube the compressor seals. Keep a battery tender on it. Move it now and then so you're not parking on the same spots on the tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The gasohol in the tank and lines sucks up water from the atmosphere and corrodes everything. Best thing you can do is change the oil and take it for a long drive, dump some Stabil in the gas tank and fill it up with ethanol free gasoline. Start it up once a week outside and let it warm up until the fans come on and run the AC to lube the compressor seals. Keep a battery tender on it. Move it now and then so you're not parking on the same spots on the tires.
+1000 to everything jimmaki has said, especially the ethanol-free gas and battery tender. In fact, you may consider running ethanol-free gas constantly as ethanol is known to eat away at the rubber in the fuel system and intakes.

Also, once a year run a can of BG 44K on a fresh fill-up through it, preferably on a fair-long, highway trip.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
You don't say your model year, but assuming 2006 or later, what does your Maintenance Minder say? I assume its algorithm is based on mileage and perhaps some other various usage factors, but I'd be surprised if time is one of them, because how could it tell time? One more example why every automated system should have a human override option. And perhaps an override to that.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
Due to work from home, we just don't drive much anymore. When we do go out, we drive the Pilot. My other car has been sitting in the garage collecting dust. It has been driven for about 50 miles only since last oil change about a year ago. Should I.....1. change both oil and filter, 2. change oil only, 3. do nothing?

Engine oil has few years of shelf life. Since only 50 miles driven, can I assume the oil is still new? Can I be lazy and wait for another year before changing?
Motor oil isn’t just oil any longe. The base lubricant may still be fine but the additives that make the motor oil work at peak performance deteriorate over time. motor oil should be changed once a year regardless of the mileage.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Suppose that a Honda dealer has a new Pilot sitting on the lot for a year.
Do they run it through the shop to change the oil on its birthday?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
I don't know. Why don't you call Liberty Honda in Hartford and report back to us on what they say?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
My guess is the motor oil won't be black and if the dealer is nice they'll offer a free oil change to the new buyer in 3K

·
Registered
3,526 Posts

Once a year OCI with a high quality oil and filter is what I'd do for your Pilot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added Stabil during last fill up a year ago. Stabil claimed it's good for 2 years. Hopefully that gas is still fresh.

From time to time I do idle (not driven just idle) the car for 10-15 mins / run the AC / roll all windows up and down / keep tire pressures just slightly lower than the maximum allowed printed on tire wall.

I am lazy. I was hoping to get feedbacks saying no need to change anything :p :p Yeah, guess I should at least change the oil. Filter can wait. BTW, since car has only been driven 50 miles since last oil change a year ago, MM still shows 100%.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
Most likely you will be fine even if you don't change your oil, BUT it couldn't hurt right?
If there's one thing you will learn about people on here, excessive/unnecessary maintenance is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Start it up once a week and turn the HVAC “OFF”, move the gear shift to each position 2-3 times while idling. When the efans turn “ON”, then turn the HVAC “ON” for a minute or two and cycle both the vent “MODE” and recirculate/fresh several times. Two year old gas is far from fresh, but still ok.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Starting an engine just to idle it and shut it off is a bad idea. If you're going to start it, then drive it.

Find excuses to drive the vehicles -- there's no reason to have it and not drive it unless it's an appreciating exotic. If you won't need it indefinitely, then consider selling it.

Oh, and to the original question: Yes, change the oil 1x/year no matter what. And no, the dealer wouldn't do this to cars in stock for more than a year because they don't care.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If the OP were driving, this thread would not exist. So, letting it idle once a week 'til efans turn on at 205F ECT is certainly better than letting it sit. Best I can tell, ECT does not get up to 205F when driving.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
Wife laughs at my ability to find something to do outside the house every day.
I think it’s very good to get out and about.
Homes I’m surprised that the battery isn’t flat due to lack of use. Tire pressure’s down etc.
That said we used to do 25k or do a year. Last year we were closer to 18k. 6k of that coming from three drives of 2k each to SX and back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts