Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Pilot EXL, should you change the oil & filter when the wrench icon pops up, or at 5,000 miles that the dealer recommends?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's what I typically follow. Just recently had them change it on my same vehicle. Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I change oil and filter every 10k regardless of when that stupid wrench/maintenance light turns on. Using 0W-20 Amsoil Signature series (full synthetic). Have been using the Amsoil Signature series in an 06 Tacoma since new and I have 192k on it without any leaks, consumption or noticeable issues.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a 2018 Pilot EXL, should you change the oil & filter when the wrench icon pops up, or at 5,000 miles that the dealer recommends?

Depends on who is paying? If dealer covering it, then 5,000 is fine. But if your paying for it, then wait for the Maintenance Minder to inform you. No point in wasting oil and your money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
NEVER take dealer's advice on service frequency as they have a very strong economic incentive to over-service any vehicle. Honda says to use the MM (i.e., the system on the dash that puts up the "wrench icon") and most folks here do. There's nothing wrong with doing it more often but there isn't any real data that says it has any significant benefit, especially if you use synthetic oil and are following Honda's relatively conservative MM recommendations.

- Mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
There does seem to be some variance in MM-suggested oil-change intervals with current Hondas. Based on reports in this forum, typically they're in the range of 5K-9K miles, with 7K about average. The algorithm doesn't keep track of calendar time, but these systems typically use some combo of total engine revolutions, total fuel burn, and number of cold starts as a better oil life surrogate than miles driven. So if you do a lot of short trips and/or drive the car hard, your intervals are likely to be on the shorter end of this range; conversely long trips at low-RPM would result in a longer interval.

As modern cars go, Honda's recommendations are pretty conservative..... today, 10K is more typical and many cars have intervals stretching to 12K-20K, although the cars with very extended intervals usually require synthetic oil. (I don't think it is a coincidence that the cars with the most extended servicing intervals tend to be the cars that offer free maintenance during the warranty period.)

Following the MM and using synthetic is a VERY conservative strategy for a Pilot.

- Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
The light on our 2017 comes on about 7000 miles between changes. Just did the third oil change at 20k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got my MM on my Hondas, and usually run it down to about 5%.

On my 2017 Touring, I have had oil changes done at
--6,037 miles
--13,333 miles (7,296 on interval)

I am at about 20,500 miles right now and taking it in tomorrow for it's 3rd oil change.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There does seem to be some variance in MM-suggested oil-change intervals with current Hondas. Based on reports in this forum, typically they're in the range of 5K-9K miles, with 7K about average. The algorithm doesn't keep track of calendar time, but these systems typically use some combo of total engine revolutions, total fuel burn, and number of cold starts as a better oil life surrogate than miles driven. So if you do a lot of short trips and/or drive the car hard, your intervals are likely to be on the shorter end of this range; conversely long trips at low-RPM would result in a longer interval.

As modern cars go, Honda's recommendations are pretty conservative..... today, 10K is more typical and many cars have intervals stretching to 12K-20K, although the cars with very extended intervals usually require synthetic oil. (I don't think it is a coincidence that the cars with the most extended servicing intervals tend to be the cars that offer free maintenance during the warranty period.)

Following the MM and using synthetic is a VERY conservative strategy for a Pilot.

- Mark
I just wanted to bounce Mark's great comments, (Wish the 'Like' button would come back).

Just follow the Maintenance Minder, its tracking your driving habits. Don't worry about it, everyone has a different mileage number. Use a full synthetic oil. Enjoy your Pilot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to bounce Mark's great comments, (Wish the 'Like' button would come back).

Just follow the Maintenance Minder, its tracking your driving habits. Don't worry about it, everyone has a different mileage number. Use a full synthetic oil. Enjoy your Pilot.
Fair warning to everyone. I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring. Mostly highway driving.

I took it 9,000 miles since last oil change. Suddenly, all systems lights showed as failing and the screen showed it cycling through each system and it failing).

Apparently, this has damaged the short block. Looking at $9,000 to fix that and they haven't checked head or camshaft.

I thought with my mostly highway driving that it could go 10k miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fair warning to everyone. I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring. Mostly highway driving.

I took it 9,000 miles since last oil change. Suddenly, all systems lights showed as failing and the screen showed it cycling through each system and it failing).

Apparently, this has damaged the short block. Looking at $9,000 to fix that and they haven't checked head or camshaft.

I thought with my mostly highway driving that it could go 10k miles.
This sounds bad, especially if Honda won't cover it under warranty. If Honda won't cover it, a used engine is usually the most cost-effective strategy to get back on the road.

Sounds like it ran catastrophically low on oil during the 9K miles. The MM system does not monitor oil level and Honda certainly doesn't guarantee that any given car will make it between oil change intervals without running low on oil. Most do, but a percentage of the fleet will have higher-than-average oil consumption and require that the owner add oil, perhaps even multiple times. As per the OM, it's still the owner's responsibility to monitor oil level and add makeup oil between oil changes as necessary to keep the oil level above the "add" line on the dipstick.

Assuming that oil is added as necessary, almost any modern car should be able to go 50K+ miles without an oil change without suddenly failing. It's not good for engine life or long-term performance, but the car should keep running and not blow up.

- Mark

·
Registered
237 Posts
Can you share what oil you were running and if the filter had been changed last oil change also? What filter if it had been replaced?

How many miles total on the car?

thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2017 Touring AWD is at about 29K miles. I recently had my 4th oil change, so it seems around 7K miles. I tend to use the MM and run it down to between 5- 10% like the poster above. This is my 4th Pilot since my original 2007.

After following the MM for all these years, I have never had to do more to the drive train than change fluids at the recommended intervals. Absolutely zero mechanical repairs. I typically put about 100K+ miles on one before I flip it. Of course, that's why we drive Honda's right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts