Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a DYI, I bought the Fumoto oil plug but I still had to lift the car as the position of the oil pan did not make it easy, so today I received my Fluid extractor and I have to say it was the easiest oil change I have ever done including putting a huge ziplock bag on the oil filter and removing it.

After extracting roughly 5.4 litres (1.4Gal) from the dipstick insert using the extractor, I unscrewed the filter and I was so surprised very very little oil drained from that area compared to the usual.

I proceeded to open the fumoto and only got 2 drops from it then completely uninstalled the fumoto and nothing drained out just to prove to myself that the fluid extractor really sucks the oil out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Some people swear by oil extraction and never touch their drain plugs. I can perform all of my oil changes mess free without jackstands using the Fumoto valve so I will stick with that method. I would certainly consider this on a sports car.

·
Registered
846 Posts
enisad, how long did it take to extract the oil using the dipstick tube? How much or how many times did you have to keep pumping it? The one you used looks to have a 2 gallon capacity, the linked one is only 1.4 gallons, which would leave it a bit overfilled if you removed 1.5 or more gallons.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it took me about 40 minutes including the filter as this was my first time and I pumped initially 10 then another 15 times as I am OCD and kept repositioning the tube, I know next time it will be faster. Sorry posted the wrong extractor, corrected above to the 2.1 Gallons

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. I'm so impressed with the results, I will be removing the Fumoto valves and going back to a stock plug on both of mine at the next oil changes.

Reactions: skadoo323

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree it was way cleaner and convenient and I also put back my stock plug.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have used my extractor in the 3rd gen Pilot and it sucks it bone dry. Not so much in my Subaru. Not sure if your extractors have options to hook up to your air compressor. I've used it manually for my lawn mower, leaf blower and smaller 4 cycle engines but for the Pilot I liked to attach it to the air compressor since it's super fast. This is what I used: Extractor

But to be honest I think I prefer to open the drain bolt and grab the oil filter while under there. I think if I was rotating the tires every oil change I would extract and grab the oil filter while the front passenger wheel was off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Holy Guacamole! I thought you were joking at first! An oil extractor thru the dip stick?

Call me old fashioned, but here is where I let gravity do it's thing. Oh, the gravity of the situation! LOL

I can crawn under my O8, and 15 Pilots. Still using the stock drain plugs, usually the same crush washer too!
I use a catch pan that seals- that I take a few miles away to dump into my cities recycle oil vat.

Gravity- it's amazing I tell ya!

What will they think of next? Don't answer that

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
As to the oil filter, I just saw this
As long as it fits your filter well enough and you installed it so you know it's not too tight it could be nice... but once oil gets in it does it ever get clean enough to not be slick again?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i haven't bought it yet and was looking for a solution other than a big sandwich bag, solution one is to align the inside with the sandwich bag or alternative once used, leave it upside down for all the oil to drain then clean it with dish soap to get rid of the oil.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Holy Guacamole! I thought you were joking at first! An oil extractor thru the dip stick?

Call me old fashioned, but here is where I let gravity do it's thing. Oh, the gravity of the situation! LOL

I can crawn under my O8, and 15 Pilots. Still using the stock drain plugs, usually the same crush washer too!
I use a catch pan that seals- that I take a few miles away to dump into my cities recycle oil vat.

Gravity- it's amazing I tell ya!

What will they think of next? Don't answer that
It's nothing new. Some boats and PWC's don't even have drain plugs and you HAVE to use an extractor to get it out. They work great and make things easy. Where it doesn't work is on my BMW that doesn't have a dipstick... but that's a whole different discussion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts