Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT ANYWAYS...... I WANT TO TAKE MY 2016 HONDA PILOT EX-L JUST A LITTLE OVER 28,000 TO A MECHANIC SHOP AND NOT HONDA DEALER TO HAVE AN OIL CHANGE, NOW MY QUESTION IS IF I TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC SHOP AND DO THE OIL CHANGE, DO I GO WITH WHAT THE MILEAGE THE MECHANIC PUT ON THE STICKER OR DO I GO WITH WHAT MY DASH SAY'S AND CHANGE IT AT 15% EVEN THO I DIDN'T HIT THE 3,000 MARK. I KNOW THAT HONDA IS NOT DOING THE MILEAGES ANYMORE AND JUST GO WITH THE PERCENTAGE. JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT BACK TO HONDA AND GET CHARGED A HUNDRED SOMETHING JUST FOR OIL CHANGE. I KNOW THE RULE OF THUMB IS TO CHANGE IT EVERY 3,000 MILES OR SO......

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT ANYWAYS...... I WANT TO TAKE MY 2016 HONDA PILOT EX-L JUST A LITTLE OVER 28,000 TO A MECHANIC SHOP AND NOT HONDA DEALER TO HAVE AN OIL CHANGE, NOW MY QUESTION IS IF I TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC SHOP AND DO THE OIL CHANGE, DO I GO WITH WHAT THE MILEAGE THE MECHANIC PUT ON THE STICKER OR DO I GO WITH WHAT MY DASH SAY'S AND CHANGE IT AT 15% EVEN THO I DIDN'T HIT THE 3,000 MARK. I KNOW THAT HONDA IS NOT DOING THE MILEAGES ANYMORE AND JUST GO WITH THE PERCENTAGE. JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT BACK TO HONDA AND GET CHARGED A HUNDRED SOMETHING JUST FOR OIL CHANGE. I KNOW THE RULE OF THUMB IS TO CHANGE IT EVERY 3,000 MILES OR SO......
As everyone knows here, I'm not one that fears disobeying the Maintenance Minder. But that being said, If your going to work outside of the Honda maintenance box, you do need to keep up with what's been done. The little sticker put on the windshield by an independent mechanic is you being taken out of the Honda box and put in another. To free your self, know what type of oil and filter are being used on your vehicle. If you use cheap conventional oil and a cheap generic filter, then you need to have your oil changed at 3k miles. If you use a synthetic blend with a standard Wix filter or something equal, you can go 5k miles. Honda dealership oil change is a 5k interval. Now if you want to go longer between oil changes, like 7.5k, Buy a really good proven full synthetic oil with a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter or a filter made with synthetic fiber instead of cellulose.
Keep good records. Know that other things need to be maintained in their due time, like the transmission fluid and filter, power steering fluid, coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, timing belt, spark plugs etc. Your manual will tell you when to do these things. You can free yourself from the box and save a few $, but remember that life outside the box requires awarness or your vehicle can and will eventually fail you.
Has your transmission fluid ever been changed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I follow the MM exactly, because those are the terms of my Honda Extended Warranty. I ask my mechanic to note and sign the exact service and mileage in the maintenance book, and save all receipts/work descriptions in the book like it specifies. This way, if I have an issue, I have the paper trail to show the maintenance was completed as honda prescribed.

If I continue to not drive the car, I'll probably have my mechanic do an extra oil change and note that in the book with a line like "car not driven due to Covid, extra oil change" or something.

To answer your question, if you're driving your car regularly, just go with the maintenance minder. If you're driving much less like many of us these days, do an extra oil change between the maintenance minder's intervals for peace of mind. It will be, relatively, cheap insurance :)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I follow the MM exactly, because those are the terms of my Honda Extended Warranty. I ask my mechanic to note and sign the exact service and mileage in the maintenance book, and save all receipts/work descriptions in the book like it specifies. This way, if I have an issue, I have the paper trail to show the maintenance was completed as honda prescribed.

If I continue to not drive the car, I'll probably have my mechanic do an extra oil change and note that in the book with a line like "car not driven due to Covid, extra oil change" or something.

To answer your question, if you're driving your car regularly, just go with the maintenance minder. If you're driving much less like many of us these days, do an extra oil change between the maintenance minder's intervals for peace of mind. It will be, relatively, cheap insurance :)
Warranty does change things, but often, it's the fear of the big

that often cost you more money than you needed to spend to stay under waranty.
I don't find it peaceful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a stupid question at all, it can be confusing...and controversial. I agree with the advice to follow the Maintenance Monitor. Generally, the MM will indicate service Is due about every 7500 miles. The MM calculates oil life based on engine operating parameters, not mileage. The MM algorithm is smart enough to determine if the oil needs to changed at shorter intervals due to severe conditions. The only exception to the rule is to change the oil if the MM does not indicate service required after 1 year. See the owner’s manual (pg 557) for more information on the MM and required maintenance.

Also, like religion and politics, never discuss oil change intervals around the dinner table. 😀

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Generally, the MM will indicate service Is due about every 7500 miles.
The MM algorithm is smart enough to determine if the oil needs to changed at shorter intervals due to severe conditions.
I have not quite 4.5k on my current oil change and my MM has me at 5% oil life. I have Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil and filter. When I pull my dipstick, the oil still looks clean. I say 🐃 to the MM knowing my oil needs changing.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
I'm guessing you are doing a lot of short trips with that vehicle then. That is part of the algorithm. Slow speeds and short run times will cause this.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm guessing you are doing a lot of short trips with that vehicle then. That is part of the algorithm. Slow speeds and short run times will cause this.
Since the pandemic, ya, probably more short drives.
It's still no reason to discard clean oil. And if I did, I would not change the $10 filter. Nither will happen. Going to 7.5k.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That is part of the algorithm. Slow speeds and short run times will cause this.
Can you prove this? Because I have not seen ANY official documentation from Honda on the logic used for the Maintenance Minder system. Nor have I seen anyone who has datamined the info from the ECU, either sharing or interpreting the code.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I have not quite 4.5k on my current oil change and my MM has me at 5% oil life. I have Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil and filter. When I pull my dipstick, the oil still looks clean. I say 🐃 to the MM knowing my oil needs changing.
Since the pandemic, ya, probably more short drives.
It's still no reason to discard clean oil. And if I did, I would not change the $10 filter. Nither will happen. Going to 7.5k.
Even the latest Pilot owner's manual does not specify synthetic motor oil, so one might presume that the MM oil life calculations are based on the use of conventional motor oil - or, perhaps, synthetic-blend since 0W-20 doesn't seem to be available in a conventional formula.

OTOH, how do you know that your oil hasn't deteriorated in ways that you cannot determine simply by looking at it?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Even the latest Pilot owner's manual does not specify synthetic motor oil, so one might presume that the MM oil life calculations are based on the use of conventional motor oil - or, perhaps, synthetic-blend since 0W-20 doesn't seem to be available in a conventional formula.

OTOH, how do you know that your oil hasn't deteriorated in ways that you cannot determine simply by looking at it?
It doesn't specify synthetic because that allows Honda to put what ever in your engine to make more money on the MMers. They know your coming back when the 🔧comes on. How many are getting this so they will come back more often?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think Maintenance Minder was "invented" because most people don't give a crap about car maintenance. It's not some conspiracy to milk customers of all their money. I'm not a huge dealer fan, because I have independent mechanics who are the best so I don't feel the need to go anywhere else but I realize their overhead is so high that is why they charge more. Some are scummy but in general they do fine work, if they didn't it would be problem and nobody would ever go back.

It's great if you can do your own maintenance but most people (even me for some things) don't want to take the time to do it themselves and are fine spending the money. The MM goes off of driving habits, etc. Honda didn't put it in the cars only to make people spend more money on service, but rather to alert owners when maintenance is required. I go 5,000 miles between changes using Mobil1 High Mileage synthetic and an Extended life filter. Usually the MM is at 40% life, but I don't feel comfortable going that long and it's only $50 (sometimes less with rebates).

Most people don't have 10 cars or whatever so its ok to spend $50 for an oil change (including the filter) every 2-3 months.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
That was one of the questions I asked when I bough the Passport, was what oil it had. The answer was the Honda full synthetic oil and was assured that was what would be put in it when the dealer did the service. The 2013 Pilot came with the semi-synthetic at the time I bought it. Never had an issue with that vehicle for the 71K I put on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keep good records. Know that other things need to be maintained in their due time, like the transmission fluid and filter, power steering fluid, coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, timing belt, spark plugs etc. Your manual will tell you when to do these things. You can free yourself from the box and save a few $, but remember that life outside the box requires awarness or your vehicle can and will eventually fail you.
This is why I use a little black logbook to keep track of all the maintenance details and back them up with parts receipts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m not familiar with the Pilot since we just purchased. But for comparisons sake.. I don’t change mine in my Silverado until the oil life monitor hits 0%. Which is usually anywhere from 7-9,000 miles. Full synthetic oil used. Have 100,000 miles on it and never has the oil looked overly dirty when I changed it at those intervals. Did the same with our previous Accord and zero issues. All personal preference...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very first thing at the top of the page. It's actually pretty simple, it's a search function.
Thanks. But you do realize that page you are referring to is a dealer "blog" post. It's not directly from Honda. Dealers can do and make up whatever nonsense they want. That dealer could be 100% correct but until Honda officially releases the info (which they probably never will), I can't and won't trust it.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

It doesn't specify synthetic because that allows Honda to put what ever in your engine to make more money on the MMers. They know your coming back when the 🔧comes on. How many are getting this so they will come back more often? View attachment 136845
... And paying for oil changes at the stealership and getting their filter changed every other time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just want to point out that clean oil is not the absolute indicator of oil life.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts