Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i heard someone just blew is head gasket because he was leaving the oil catch can on winter and there is water that was added in the can that make the crank blew . Its actually winter where i live and wonder if i should just unplug the 2 hose and wait until summer came back to replug it.
Thank you

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
what? water blowing a head gasket? From Hydro lock?

What are you trying to gain by this oil catch can? Keeping the EGR cleaner maybe?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, it will fill up a lot faster in winter than in summer. Ya gotta empty that thing out!

I've been running one on my Pilot for a year now but it's only collected an ounce or so per month in the winter and nothing in the summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what? water blowing a head gasket? From Hydro lock?

What are you trying to gain by this oil catch can? Keeping the EGR cleaner maybe?
I dont know exactly i install my catch can and since i installed it i catch so many oil from it. It might help to keep it cleaner. But i dont know about the water explanation. Im just trying to prevent any further problem so is there any problem to leave it there. Because it seem to catch a lot of oil so it might not be bad after all. So can i leave it there or the cold is bad for the catch can. It minus 25 degree over here it been 2 months since winter start but i dont see any problem leave it there. Im just curious about everybody else installation in cold area.
Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it will fill up a lot faster in winter than in summer. Ya gotta empty that thing out!

I've been running one on my Pilot for a year now but it's only collected an ounce or so per month in the winter and nothing in the summer.
That what i get little in summer but a lil more in winter . Sure i need to empty it but does it damage something to leave it there all winter.
From condensation or something else.
Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually took it off because i know a little about the effect on my pilot in the winter and it was full of ice and tea colour liquid. I should have empty it earlier it was almost full or full. If anyone could explain me if its bad to have it full of ice . I install the svcm on my pilot so does it really important to hve the catch can. In the summer its was always empty now its fill up alot more in winter . I think i just leave it like this not sure about the ice inside if it can damage the head or something like my friends told me he saw a story that the guys blew the crank head because it has water inside . Seem like my case.. maybe it wasnt a pilot too so i unplug it for safety and because i got no warranty on it

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow, that is a lot. I don't think catch cans are an issue unless they fill up and suck all that goop back into the intake manifold. I don't know if that would cause a headgasket issue or hydrolock, but it wouldn't be good!

I know those screw on containers are a pain to check. My advice would be to remove it if you can't commit to checking it regularly, or get a different can that has a dipstick so you can check the level without taking the whole thing out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that is a lot. I don't think catch cans are an issue unless they fill up and suck all that goop back into the intake manifold. I don't know if that would cause a headgasket issue or hydrolock, but it wouldn't be good!

I know those screw on containers are a pain to check. My advice would be to remove it if you can't commit to checking it regularly, or get a different can that has a dipstick so you can check the level without taking the whole thing out.
I have a dipstick on it and its a metal one. It was my mistake to not check it regularly. If you do check it every week and keep it empty all the time i dont see why it should be a problem to keep it i uninstall it because it so easy and because i have little information about the subject but the only problem i could see is if you leave it full and it goes back into the engine. But if it always empty and there is no ice or little why it should be a problem if you empty it every week. I took it off but you can clearly see it fill up pretty quick and i think its was the best ways to keep youre engine clean for longer time. Im hesitating to put it back i know there benefit to put it back i was just worried with all the ice thing and the blew headcrank that i heard but like you said if the other guys never empty it and the liquid goes back inside the engine no doubt it will blew soon or later. I think that the only thing i should be concerned is to always empty it.i would like to hear other story on catch can on 3rd generation in winter area. If it cause other problem
Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what i see all the stuff inside the catch can will go back into the intake manifold in a couple of weeks that problably as bad as to take it off. So i think i should look out every week to see the level and drain it. Otherwise do you think that the ice inside the can will do damage aswell or it a normal process because i live in cold area(montreal).
I might reinstall it soon but i want to be sure before i do to get all the information. I didnt know it might have other problem after the installation other then to check the level from time to time. Water problem make me doubt because i have little information on this subject and because a lot of people live in warmer climate so it doesnt bother them.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
From what i see all the stuff inside the catch can will go back into the intake manifold in a couple of weeks that problably as bad as to take it off. So i think i should look out every week to see the level and drain it. Otherwise do you think that the ice inside the can will do damage aswell or it a normal process because i live in cold area(montreal).
I might reinstall it soon but i want to be sure before i do to get all the information. I didnt know it might have other problem after the installation other then to check the level from time to time. Water problem make me doubt because i have little information on this subject and because a lot of people live in warmer climate so it doesnt bother them.
Thank you
If you're catching that much water in the oil catch can it might pay to worry more about why there's so much water vapor coming from the crankcase than any danger the water in the catch can will cause if it freezes. It's the water in the engine oil that's vaporizing I'd be concerned about. Possibly a leaking head gasket? Too many cold starts and short trips?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're catching that much water in the oil catch can it might pay to worry more about why there's so much water vapor coming from the crankcase than any danger the water in the catch can will cause if it freezes. It's the water in the engine oil that's vaporizing I'd be concerned about. Possibly a leaking head gasket? Too many cold starts and short trips?
I mean i didn't open the can since the start of winter maybe so lets says easy 60 cold days between +10 and -10 so freeze defreeze freeze metal can cause condensation inside i supposed so you think it might be a seal or something else ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leaking head gasket ..i guess honda will charge me 500$ to verify that 😥

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I mean i didn't open the can since the start of winter maybe so lets says easy 60 cold days between +10 and -10 so freeze defreeze freeze metal can cause condensation inside i supposed so you think it might be a seal or something else ?
The water that is condensating inside the can is in the "air" from the crankcase. If it's from anywhere else, chances are there is a leak in the vacuum system. So I don't know what seal or something else it could be.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Leaking head gasket ..i guess honda will charge me 500$ to verify that 😥
After the engine has been off for a while, take the oil drain plug out over a container and see if water comes out. Water is heavier than oil and will sit on the bottom of the oil pan if given enough time to separate out.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Mateo,
If it runs OK, forget about it.
Clean the catch can, clean if you got 'em!

Connect it, disconnect it, really doesn't matter.

It'll be OK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Catch can won’t prolong the life of the engine.
No but can it help prevent any problem and extend life of my pilot ?? Because with no warranty left just trying to do best. Keep good maintenance use good fuel and install svcm i think that the best i could do for my pilot

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I'm still not convinced that I need a catch can, especially after disabling the VCM.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I think regular oil changes with a good synthetic oil and using top tier fuel is all you need to do. I would not use a catch can especially up here with our cold weather and with all cylinders firing 100% of the time

1 - 20 of 25 Posts