Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L 264k miles (RIP)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While going through an unnecessarily long and complicated process to replace the P/S inlet and out oring, I cranked up my baby and was lock-to-locking and hopping out to check my fluid level. I noticed some smoking/burning stank coming from beneath my oil fill hole somewhere. Can't pintpoint. Any common issues? Gaskets I should look into? I got the wrong PCV valve so I can't change that to see if the lower pressure helps at all.
Apologies for posting threads so often.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
While going through an unnecessarily long and complicated process to replace the P/S inlet and out oring, I cranked up my baby and was lock-to-locking and hopping out to check my fluid level. I noticed some smoking/burning stank coming from beneath my oil fill hole somewhere. Can't pintpoint. Any common issues? Gaskets I should look into? I got the wrong PCV valve so I can't change that to see if the lower pressure helps at all.
Apologies for posting threads so often.
May just have gotten oil on the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter. May be burning off. If it doesn't go away, be concerned then.
I wouldn't worry about posting to much. We've been there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May just have gotten oil on the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter. May be burning off. If it doesn't go away, be concerned then.
I wouldn't worry about posting to much. We've been there.
I'll give it a few days of cooking, haven't noticed it before and haven't changed oil recently, got some coming in though.
Would you happen to know why my shifty stick feels gummy when it's cold out? I deal with Sub-Zero temperatures frequently, if the pilot is in a heated garage or it's a warm day it's fine. Cold, it's stiff. Water in the cable?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I'll give it a few days of cooking, haven't noticed it before and haven't changed oil recently, got some coming in though.
Would you happen to know why my shifty stick feels gummy when it's cold out? I deal with Sub-Zero temperatures frequently, if the pilot is in a heated garage or it's a warm day it's fine. Cold, it's stiff. Water in the cable?
If you were working on your Power steering, could likely be some fluid.
I have no advice for cold weather problems. It was in the 80s today where I live.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were working on your Power steering, could likely be some fluid.
I have no advice for cold weather problems. It was in the 80s today where I live.
It's been an issue since my girlfriend's buddy drowned the Pilot.
High of 34 today, much better than -34 a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
That was my first thought too since the power steering fluid could have easily spilled onto the exhaust manifold when the o-rings were replaced.

@Fester All the topics you are posting about will help the next Piloteer who is having a similar issue. Keep on posting!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If you're referring to the gear shift selector years ago I had some difficulty moving the shift selector from PARK to D. If so, don't use force to move the selector. Cleaning (rust/debris) then lubing the shift linkages resolved my problem.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
If you're referring to the gear shift selector years ago I had some difficulty moving the shift selector from PARK to D. If so, don't use force to move the selector. Cleaning (rust/debris) then lubing the shift linkages resolved my problem.
I would have never known to do this ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I could see that being an issue. I'll check it out, thanks a lot. It's all gears and only when it's cold but I'll try it and get back to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts