Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else’s Pilot burning oil? I have 21k miles and had the oil changed at the dealership 2,900 miles ago. We started the Pilot this evening and it was making a gnarly noise at idle. I had my wife turn it off and checked the oil. It’s sitting under the half mark. It was 7/8 after the oil change and I check it ever two weeks and have noticed that it has been dropping. I blown away that at such a low mileage it would be burning. My 2013 CRV with 99,900 miles has never burned a drop. Nor did my 2014 Civic with 79k miles (traded in for the Pilot). I’m seriously thinking about getting rid of it now. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
203 Posts
That’s why change it yourself. That way you know how much oil is added. As far as burning oil nothing yet.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think this has something to do with the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. Many owners of the previous gen Pilot also have this issue, but I haven't seen any owners with a third gen Pilot burning oil. Your car is pretty low mileage and pretty new so I'm not sure why you are having any issues. I'm hoping the third gen Pilot doesn't have oil burning issues. When you checked it the first time, was the engine cold? The oil level will change depending on your engine temperature. Also I'm not sure if the Pilot has this but the dipstick may indicate two different oil levels on each side, one for hot and one for cold.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
The oil doesn’t have to be filled up to the top mark anyways. Usually if it’s between the 2 marks it’s good enough.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
It's the gnarly noise I'd like to hear and know more about. There would have to be no oil on the stick, none in the pan and a engine light, if this noise is oil related.

Reactions: PLT383 and The Todd

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
If you're talking about the oil being halfway down in the normal range, that isn't going to cause an engine noise. Being half a quart low isn't going to starve an engine of oil that's driven normally.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I have always found Honda engines to be pretty tight and not use much oil. Never had to top up between oil changes with the 16 EXL with almost 60k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
813 Posts
When I start your Pilot, then there's a faint belt squeak noise for like 30 seconds. Maybe that's the noise you're experiencing too. A video of the noise would be nice but that's the only noise I know of that should be happening when you start it up.

Well, I think it should be happening. Do other people have this sound too?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealership did the oil change and on the invoice it just said 0w20 with no name brand. There are no oil spots on my driveway and I looked at the drain plug and it’s dry. I’m just very surprised that the oil level dropped. The sound seems to be coming from a pulley which is weird because it just started. I’ll try to get a video in the next couple days. I did too it off with Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 with pureplus. I’m going to monitor the situation. I’m a mechanic by trade, so I’m definitely no novice by any means. I did all the basic troubleshooting prior to posting my question on here.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
The dealership did the oil change and on the invoice it just said 0w20 with no name brand. There are no oil spots on my driveway and I looked at the drain plug and it’s dry. I’m just very surprised that the oil level dropped. The sound seems to be coming from a pulley which is weird because it just started. I’ll try to get a video in the next couple days. I did too it off with Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 with pureplus. I’m going to monitor the situation. I’m a mechanic by trade, so I’m definitely no novice by any means. I did all the basic troubleshooting prior to posting my question on here.

Honda 0w20?

Ugh 🙄

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I guess so. It did just say motor oil 0w20. I’ve never see Honda 0w20, so I didn’t realize that’s how they posted it. Not sure why you posted “ugh” at the end of your post.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yea I guess so. It did just say motor oil 0w20. I’ve never see Honda 0w20, so I didn’t realize that’s how they posted it. Not sure why you posted “ugh” at the end of your post.

Because, 0w20 can mean synthetic blend.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because, 0w20 can mean synthetic blend.
Yes you could be right. I did specify full synthetic and they did say it was. However, here is the invoice.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yes you could be right. I did specify full synthetic and they did say it was. However, here is the invoice.

$3.40 a quart. Likely so. 😑

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$3.40 a quart. Likely so.
You’re probably right. I topped it off and will monitor it. I’ll do my own oil change next time will use Pennzoil Platinum FS or Valvoline FS in 0w20 form.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Honda 0w20 is full synthetic. They dropped the synthetic blend a few years ago.
If the Full Synthetic is $3.40 per quart, we should go wipe them out.

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 20 of 25 Posts