Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual and the owners link both recommend changing the oil at 7500 intervals and the filter at 15000 mile intervals. So on your first visit, it should only be the oil change. I have read people changing both at 7500 miles. Is it a good idea to replace filter as well at 7500 when Honda recommends changing it at 15000 miles?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I always change both.
While the oils out replacing the filter is cheap insurance.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
:werd:
$5 for the filter, and you're down there for the drain plug anyway. Change both @ the same intervals (7500 normal service, 3750 severe).

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are gonna keep the Pilot for only a few years go for it...if you want long term reliability change both, way sooner than 7.5k IMNSHO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think most people change the filter everytime they change their oil, otherwise you are leaving close to 1 qt of dirty oil in the engine. I also would not trust a filter for 15,000 miles. If a filter becomes plugged it will allow the oil to bypass and then you are basically running without a filter.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
For many years I have simply changed the oil and filter in all my vehicles every 5,000 miles. Much easier to keep track of with a simple glance at the odometer (5,000/10,000/15,000/etc). Filters are cheap insurance and the 5K is a good compromise on the "severe/normal" mileage interval recommendation.

rod

·
Registered
56 Posts
3750 miles btw oil changes for me

I generally have a local oil changer do the oil changes for me. However, I supply a geninue Honda oil filter and crush gasket for them to install. Also I use whatever weight oil the manual recommends for oil.

To date, I have over 195,000 miles on my '91 Legend and 260,000 miles on my '90 Civic (now donated to charity) by changing the oil and filter at 1/2 the recommended maintance intervals. No burning of oil or leaks in either car.:cool: :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would certainly agree w/pjb3, and I've changed my oil, so I can tell you about the oil that's left above the filter, even after the pan is drained. Changing the filter is cheap insurance.
BTW, if you do change the oil/filter yourself, be aware that the oil drain plug is located on the side of the oil pan, instead of the bottom. This means when you pull out the plug, oil will initially go shooting laterally. Have a wide oil basin ready.....

hth,
Phil Reedy

·
Registered
415 Posts
For $17 to $25 oil and filter change, it is quite affordable. So, why skimp on a $2-3 filter when it comes with the oil change anyway? Under normal driving conditions you can go between oil changes every 7500 miles, having your intervals around 3750 miles will not hurt both the pilot nor your wallet...unless, of course, you spent all your $$$ on the pilot:2:

·
Registered
920 Posts
The type of oil filter you get for $2 to $3 will end up causing more damage than good. Think about that the next time you get your oil changed. Checkout my sig if you wanna see what I use---

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are several quality oil filters in the $2-3 range. Purolator is one, Sears sells them for $2.99 everyday, less on sale. Stay away from Fram, they have gotten a really bad reputation since the company changed hands a few years back.

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts