Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Sage Brush Pearl 03 Pilot from Ohio Valley Honda (Steubenville, OH) two weeks ago.
It's an EX-L and I wanted an EX-L RES. They offered to add the entertainment system. Their labor rates are higher than the factory apparently, so I paid more to have the RES installed than if it had been installed at the factory. But they gave me a price break because it was an 03 greater than I could find at any other dealer. So I thought I was getting a good deal.
What they didn't tell me is that the RES they were installing is not the same one that is factory installed. It is Honda OEM, but not the same system that is factory installed.
What ticks me off is that they didn't tell me about it; I showed up to collect my Pilot and saw that it wasn't the same. I had read the Owner's manual prior to delivery. When I pointed out that it wasn't the same system. they checked into what it would take to modify it to use the same center console (rear) contols. This has plug ins for 3 wired headphones and a plug in for a game/VCR/accessory. I had already purchased a VCR (12 volt, small, with remote control eye) intending to plug it in there, since my kids have many more tapes than DVDs.
They said there was nothing they could do to install this, so I have to run my RCA cables to the front dash (where the plug in is for the 'aftermarket' RES).

They are giving me two more wireless headphones to make up for it; I appreciate that, but I wish they would have told me about it before. I would have bought one somewhere else that has the factory RES installed.
This is my one and only complaint about my Pilot and the purchase experience.
The thing that ticks me off about it is that I paid more to have it installed and got a less capable system. Am I being petty?:2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had also looked into the factory installed RES, dealer installed RES, and getting a NAVI with the option of installing the screen with an aftermarket unit.

Looking at the websites which sells the honda accessories, such as handaaccessories.com, I noticed that the RES unit was different. They actually don't even have the same headphones as the factory unit which makes me believe that the screen portion may even be totally different. Plus I have not had good experiences with dealer installed options (poor workmanship, skipping a few detailed steps, forget to wrap the wires, etc). I finally decided to do the work myself. Taking that into account, I figure I should get the one which was the most difficult to install, which performed the best coming from the factory, and which cost about the same as an aftermarket unit - the Navigation. So I brought a pilot with navigation and a aftermarket overhead Audiovox 6.5" display which I lucked out for $50.00 when The Wiz closed.

I don't think you'll be able to get the same audio control center as the factory unit just from buying it from the parts counter. Just like you can't buy the Navi display or the DVD/NAVI player. (I'm sure you could but not as a package unit.) I would just leave it for now since there is not much you can do. Take the extra headphone and see if they can throw in any other extras before leaving. Worse come to worse, you can always take the pilot to an aftermarket stereo place and extend the jack into the center console.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts