Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running an errand just after dark 2 nights ago going thru my neighborhood. I'm suburban, some subdivisions, with many fields, some farmed, and creek bed lands left as natural beltways all mixed in within a block from my home.
This section of 2 lane road has no streetlights, with farm fields on one side and wooded large home tracts on the other.

I was driving my 08 Pilot, cruising up a hill about 35mph, when for some reason within milliseconds I saw a blurry thing in the right of my peripheral vision. I jammed on the brakes! Within less that a second, this HUGE deer dart across from right to left, and less than a second later- another one darts by. I'm stopped by now and waiting for any others.
I waited a few seconds, didn't see any, thanked God, and kept cruising. Now with my high beams on and watching more diligently for Deer and slowing a bit on the darker back streets.

I narrowly missed the first one, by about 1 foot! It was a very big Doe (no antlers), and fully grown- big!

If I had not of gone with my instincts before I really saw and knew there was a deer and jammed the brake, I surely would have hit it big time!
This would not have been life threatening or harmful to me driving at these speeds (in a 'cage'- motorcycle rider lingo for 4+ wheeled vehicles), but would have caused major front end damage do the front end- maybe set an air bag off too?

That'd be something, air bag deployment b/c I hit a deer!

Watch out on those darker country roads this time of year.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
I've seen photos of those Wisconsin whitetail deer. They can be twice the size of whitetail in Texas. Could prove to be deadly if you hit one.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this one was really big. I've seen plenty of young small ones too.
Luckily I was in an SUV, and not going too fast, still would have done some major damage FS.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
That'd be something, air bag deployment b/c I hit a deer!

Watch out on those darker country roads this time of year.
Glad to hear you avoided your close deer encounter. Braking and preparing for impact is better as swerving to avoid them usually doesn’t end well for the driver as the deer scampers away.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Glad everything and everyone is OK, including the driver that wasn't right behind you.

Are you now contemplating any of these accessories?
  • deer whistles, if they really work
  • 10,000 lumen LED low and high beams, if you don't already have some Amazon.com : 10000 lumen headlight
  • bull bar or brush guard, FWIW
  • a dashcam so you can post an awesome video of your next encounter

·
Registered
613 Posts
Braking and preparing for impact is better as swerving to avoid them usually doesn’t end well...
After a mild deer incident years ago, I asked my insurance carrier about this. The rep didn't even hesitate - she said "Hit the deer. Never try to avoid it."

If you take evasive action and there's a wreck, it's your fault. If you drive into a deer, it's not. I don't know where braking suddenly in heavy traffic would fall.

But I once knew a guy that swore by deer whistles. He routinely drove through an area called Elk Heights. Running into one of those guys makes hitting a deer look mild.

Glad you came out unscathed.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
After a mild deer incident years ago, I asked my insurance carrier about this. The rep didn't even hesitate - she said "Hit the deer. Never try to avoid it."

If you take evasive action and there's a wreck, it's your fault. If you drive into a deer, it's not. I don't know where braking suddenly in heavy traffic would fall.
I've been told the same thing. We get plenty of deer through the winter.

Funny story... a buddy of mine had a deer hit him. Legitimately ran into the SIDE of his car while moving.
My wife had that happen to her. Sitting at a stop light and it rammed into the side of her car, leaving a dent on the door and fender and hair in the door jamb. Scared the crap out of her since she never saw it.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
My wife had that happen to her. Sitting at a stop light and it rammed into the side of her car, leaving a dent on the door and fender and hair in the door jamb. Scared the crap out of her since she never saw it.
Mine was similar, but I was moving. I saw it standing on the side of the road, slowed down, thought I was OK as I got close with it still just standing there. As I passed, it panicked and jumped into my passenger-side door.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny story... a buddy of mine had a deer hit him. Legitimately ran into the SIDE of his car while moving.
True story/ies-
On my motorcycles over the years- near the lakeshore of Lake Travis ouside of Austin- on my 'ol CB750 w/ my girlfriend on the back- similar situation- except I was going faster, and instinct told my to speed up/full throttle. Instead of hitting the deer, it hit my girlfriends shoulder and did not put us down either.
#2- With my with on the back- my ol GS1100ES- in TX again, outside of Houston. Same situation, I was going too fast to stop for it, and nailed the throttle- only to have it hit my wifes shoulder, again- didn't put us down.
Both times the deer grazed them, instead of hitting the deer broadside.
True stories

AND, no one was behind me. AND, even if they were- they should not be following so closely that they couldn't react to my slamming on the brakes from about 30 mph.
When I was in drivers ed. I was taught- you hit someone in the rear - YOUR fault, no if's and's or buts. Pun intended.
Today, they want to blame the car braking just because they can't follow at a safe distance, and can't be too bothered by PAYING THE F ATTENTION.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.