Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Off to the Vet in the Pilot

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  why2kmax 
#1 ·
Today was take the dogs to the vet day. 3 big dogs ( 2 labs and a shepard).. Tried to protect the pilot as much as I could. Use of cargo tray, numerous sheets and towels to cover the back area. Everything that could be cover was covered except for the trim work around the doors. The pups ran from window to window hanging their heads as as far as I would allow. Thank goodness for the automatic window locks controlled by the driver side otherwise I might have lost a dog or too!:eek:

The pilot survived and very little hair clean up was necessary after our little adventure. The problem was the dog slobber left on the windows and door trim. Spent an hour wiping the Pilot down on the inside so that new car smell would return!

Next year on vet day I will invest in some duct tape and a few old sheets to protect the trim around the doors or buy a old beat up vehicle to transport dogs!
Total of today's expenses: $500 for shots and heartworm medicine for 3 dogs. Just think of all the pilot accessories I could have bought.

:5: :p

Oh well love me...love my dogs!

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds like an "interesting" trip!! :eek:

I have 2 dogs that don't shed and can't reach the windows.
:2:

#3 ·
hmmmm..... maybe I can find away to shorten their paws!:13:

Also gonna have build a pup ramp to get them in and out of the pilot a little bit easier... They are too old to jump in like they use to and with all the seats down the cargo area is very high!

#7 ·
jtvicknair said:
Today was take the dogs to the vet day. 3 big dogs ( 2 labs and a shepard).. Tried to protect the pilot as much as I could. Use of cargo tray, numerous sheets and towels to cover the back area. Everything that could be cover was covered except for the trim work around the doors. !

Next year on vet day I will invest in some duct tape and a few old sheets to protect the trim around the doors or buy a old beat up vehicle to transport dogs!

Oh well love me...love my dogs!
Rather than using numerous sheets and towels, would it make sense for you to invest in the Pilot Cargo Liner? Seems like it would be something that would justify your investment, what with hauling your doggies!

#12 ·
I was also looking at the cargo liner for protection from the yellow lab and hauling "stuff."

The parts guy at the local Honda dealer, when discussing the liner with me, stated that most people who buy the liner bring it back very dissatisfied.

He states that the Velcro used to attach the liner rips very easily and the liner does not stay put.

Interested in learning the first hand experience of anyone with the liner, or other cargo liner options (with second seat down).

Thanks

#13 ·
If the cargo liner covered the area of the door trim all the way to windows I might interested in the cargo liner for my dogs on VET day.

Because I have 3 very big dogs that must travel together (as in I can't take one in the Pilot because the neighbors would call 911 for all the howling that would go on).... I must transport them together and fold the 2nd row seats downs to make room for all 12 paws and bodies---leaving my door trim very vunerable to paw scratches and dog slobber.

Like the previous post.... from what I read most piloteers have not been happy with the cargo liner and the installation is somewhat of a bear. So next vet day it's duct tape and sheets on the door trim.

Yes, I know I have left myself wide open for a Kemosabe image!

#18 ·
Re: Cargo Liner and Dogs

HondaFan said:
Does anybody have the Cargo Liner and like it? Are the pups happy back there? Does it protect the plastic too?
I also wouldn't mind hearing from Cargo Liner owners. I know the Cargo Liner has been discussed a few times in past threads, but it would be nice to get more input from some others who have recently purchased it.

I love the Cargo Tray I have, but I know we'll soon be hauling lumber, mulch, and other potential nasties requiring the second-row seats to be folded down. It might be worthwhile to have the Liner on hand to cover that additional exposed space.

#19 ·
Well, I think the liner is great. Since I don't use the third seat and keep it folded down all of the time, the liner is in semi-permanently. I also have the cargo tray on top in the back, behind the second seat row.

The tray handles the wet, really dirty stuff, and I can lay anything else on the liner. The liner appears to be water proof, but stuff could leak around the liner if it is super wet. It nicely covers the top of the second seat, so with it down, the surfaces are well protected. Some folks don't like the velcro that you have to glue up for the liner, but I don't care because I have it on all of the time. The liner is also nicely fitted to the back and can be lifted up to access the storage areas.

I recommend it.

EJ

#20 ·
Eddie Joe said:
Well, I think the liner is great. Since I don't use the third seat and keep it folded down all of the time, the liner is in semi-permanently. I also have the cargo tray on top in the back, behind the second seat row.

The tray handles the wet, really dirty stuff, and I can lay anything else on the liner. The liner appears to be water proof, but stuff could leak around the liner if it is super wet. It nicely covers the top of the second seat, so with it down, the surfaces are well protected. Some folks don't like the velcro that you have to glue up for the liner, but I don't care because I have it on all of the time. The liner is also nicely fitted to the back and can be lifted up to access the storage areas.

I recommend it.

EJ
Thanks for the input, Eddie Joe. Something to think about.

#21 ·
Twistep ramp for Pets

Came across this ramp today. I would try it if I had a hitch. Makes more sense than a ramp you have to lift in an out of the vehicle, especially if it is muddy. The specs page even has the Honda Pilot listed! I was surprised.

http://www.discountramps.com/twistep.htm

Attachments

#22 ·
Gettin' the dogs in

I think I mentioned this method in a previous post. I have two large Bernese Mountain Dogs. Even though one is not as spry as she used to be, BMDs are not big "leapers" to begin with (e.g., like Collies), they're drafting dogs. I also try to avoid any unnecessary stress on their joints.

What I do is put down the left side of the split middle row and leave the seatback up on the right side. Open the right door and drape a blanket from the seat out almost to the ground. This prevents their nails from scratching the leather and gives them a graduated, non-skid surface for them climb in. To them, it looks like a small flight of stairs: side step, floor ledge, seat bottom, and up to the cargo area. Then I throw the blanket in the back for them to lay on (it collects most of their sheddings) and I put the right seat down.

Getting out is no problem. They just hop out the back.

As far as cleaning dog slobber off the windows and vacuuming fur - it's what you do when you have dogs. Nothing compared to what kids leave behind. Kids will grace the back seat with substances that CSI couldn't identify.
:16:

#23 ·
Here the Cargo liner, which also covers the bumper when the hatch is up. I'm using a MDX cargo tray which came in tan to match my interior was purchased a couple of weeks before I decided to get the liner. Kind of looks odd with the black liner, but it works very well. The Pilot Cargo Tray comes in black which would look better with the liner. I also have a home made separation net that keeps my dog off the seats and in the back. I've been thinking about making some plexi-glass window covers to keep my dog from scratching the window tint. Maybe hold the pieces in place with velcro.

I think the liner, cargo tray and separtion net would do the trick for you.

Attachments

#24 ·
cargo tray works with cargo liner nicely

cargo tray works WITH cargo liner nicely for our black dog!

we frequently take her swimming with zero impact on the pilot

only exposed area is 2nd row head rests which i covered with shower caps...the caps also makes for a great converstion starter!

the downside is its a hassle to remove and then reinstall the liner and tray when you want to use the third row seat and or those nifty grocery hooks

no duct tape required (unless you want too)

hope this helps

:p

#25 ·
oh yeah one other thing i wish the rear window(s) opened

on a long trip i dropped one of the split seats and put a blanket on the back of the front row seat so dog could get her head out the window(an important aspect of doggie driving)

:4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.