Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont want to sound dumb, but what does OEM mean. Does it refer to accessories not made by honda.
Also, I am searching the internet for most reasonable place to buy sideboads and cross bars. H & A (Honda & Accura Accessories) seems to be the most reasonable. Has anyone purchased from them?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Original Equipment Manufacturer, a lot of the accessories are made by other companies, for example; the Honda short box( rooftop carrier) is made by Thule. If you buy the OEM with the Honda decal you pay more as opposed to buying same item form Thule for less.

I haven't ordered any accessories on line so I can't help you on your second question.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilotgal said:
Dont want to sound dumb, but what does OEM mean. Does it refer to accessories not made by honda.
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.
It refers to the company that makes a product to be distributed as another's.

Most of the parts in cars (especially accessories) are made specifically for the manufacturer by outside companies.

Whether the company selling the part (e.g. Honda) or the company making the part (e.g. XYZ Manufacturing) is "the OEM" is a point of discussion. It seems to be used both ways with lots of history on both sides. No one can claim to be right on it.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Oem

N_Jay said:
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.
It refers to the company that makes a product to be distributed as another's.

Most of the parts in cars (especially accessories) are made specifically for the manufacturer by outside companies.

Whether the company selling the part (e.g. Honda) or the company making the part (e.g. XYZ Manufacturing) is "the OEM" is a point of discussion. It seems to be used both ways with lots of history on both sides. No one can claim to be right on it.

and OEM comes with 1 year warrant from Honda (or the 36 month warrenty if you have it installed when taking delivery)

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I was researching accessories, I found forum sponsor Hondacuraworld as well as Discount Honda Parts to have the best prices.

Hondacuraworld has the running boards for $453.70, the crossbars for $133.90, plus a $3.95 handling fee for a total of $591.55.

Discount Honda Parts has the running boards for $394.80, the crossbars for $130.80 with free shipping for a total of $525.60.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Pilotgal said:
Dont want to sound dumb, but what does OEM mean. Does it ...H & A (Honda & Accura Accessories) seems to be the most reasonable. Has anyone purchased from them?
I purchased my first couple add-ons from handaccessories and had no problems. They do, however, add shipping (per pound) to the price listed on-line while hondacurraworld does not (only $3.95 handling for each order). So when I learned this, I started buying from hondacuraworld and waiting for the "monthly specials" to save an additional 10% or so.

(Running boards and cross bars from handaccessories will cost you around $34 for shipping.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I asked the very same question when I first got my car. Must be a girl thing to not have a clue as to what that means!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
my3kids said:
I asked the very same question when I first got my car. Must be a girl thing to not have a clue as to what that means!
Here is the other OEM thread called "What does OEM mean?" that was started by my3kids: click here to go to it... ;)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
kemosabe said:
Here is the other OEM thread called "What does OEM mean?" that was started by my3kids: click here to go to it... ;)
I remember that thread (I was looking for it earlier). That was back when ramirami was still in training.

Here's a pretty good quote that sums up that thread:

Sage said:
So what you guys are REALLY saying is...

OEM means Original Equipment... Maybe. :4:
...or summed up as:

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
We were thinking alike Pilotgal. I was going to ask the same question :D

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
pilotgal:

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4125

Here is a list of all the websites selling OEM accessories. I put this together a while back when I was looking for the best price on OEM accessories. If you are from Simi Valley, CA, you would save more by buying out of state. Your best bet is www.hondacuraworld.com or www.hondapartsforyou.com. Note that majority of my accessories were purchased at www.hondapartsforyou.com because they will match or beat the lowest price on line and shipping is only $3.95.

Also, crossbars and sideboards are the easiest to install yourself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I go to the parts for you site, the pictures do not seem to load. Is this just a temp issue.

UMM the pilot side of the site loads pics but the Element side doesnot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts