Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery on my new black Pilot and am getting ready to install a hitch. Even though I will do all of my heavy towing with my truck, I want to install a cooler on the transmission as I believe it is cheap insurance. My question is this:

Is there really any advantage to using the Honda OEM parts when there are lots of after market coolers out there that would be easier to install and probably provide higher cooling capacity at a much more reasonable cost. The same logic applies to the Power Steering cooler.

Thanks
Sailing1

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
sailing1 said:
Just took delivery on my new black Pilot and am getting ready to install a hitch. Even though I will do all of my heavy towing with my truck, I want to install a cooler on the transmission as I believe it is cheap insurance. My question is this:

Is there really any advantage to using the Honda OEM parts when there are lots of after market coolers out there that would be easier to install and probably provide higher cooling capacity at a much more reasonable cost. The same logic applies to the Power Steering cooler.

Thanks
Sailing1
Yes they are cheaper and yes you can get more cooling, but I am not sure about easier to install.

You are going to need to take the bumper off anyhow to get to the old PS cooler.
With aftermarket coolers you are on your own to find a spot with good airflow, make an assumption you are not blocking air to the engine, and fashion your own plumbing and brackets.

On the other hand you can plumb in spin off filters if you are real paranoid.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The cooler install was not a big deal at all, except for taking time to remove the bumper and splash guard. The Honda coolers mounted righ tin front of the radiator and was a very clean and easy install.
Plus it goes under the Honda warrentee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts