Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered before...

but what are the pros and cons of the OEM side steps or running boards vs afteermarket ones...

thanks

Steve

2003 Silver EX
1990 Supra Turbo
http://www.mk3.us/steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
OEM vs Aftermarket

Well I can tell you I went through the same process and came to the following conclusion:

The aftermarket ones seemed to stick out a bit farther than the OEM steps. IMO this helps ward off the dreaded door dings. The step will usually catch the culprit car door before it hits yours. So I liked that.

Another big factor for me was price. The OEM side steps cost upwards of $450. After some research I found a real nice set of Westin Side Steps from www.ultimateautoaccessories.com for $214 plus shipping. They are a bit longer than the OEM and look real nice.

·
Registered
608 Posts
i had this same question when deciding on side steps. i looked at the westin oval tube and the OEM one and ended up going with OEM.

this is because the westin one only had six bolts on each side to bolt it to the car. the OEM one has 12 on each side, 6 on the outside frame right under the door, 6 on the chassis frame about 7 inches farther in.

westin probably engineered their stuff to work well, but the OEM one just looks a lot more sturdier to me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think OEM is more rusted resistant that the aftermarket sidestep. I used to have aftermarket on my Pathfinder, and never again getting aftermarket; especially when you live in NY area there are going to be a lots of salt on the road during Winter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
great points that I need to take in consideration as I am deciding between ss/running board and oem vs aftermaket. 12 bolts would seem sturdier and definetly don't want to start seeing rust too early...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the responses, now to decide OEM running boards or OEM side steps...hmmm I like both so i will let the wife decide so if she doesnt like it later on she will be to blame ;)

Steve

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Manik Side Steps

I installed a set of stainless Manik sidesteps on my silver '04 EX. I like the looks of the stainless but I'm not totally happy with the mounts. The Maniks do stick out farther, which may not be a bad thing, but I do occasionally hit my pant legs on them. My wife being several inches shorter than me likes the step up they give. The mounts look a bit hokey but they are strong. I bounced my 250lbs up and down on them and they did not budge.:eek: The stainless Maniks have a lifetime warranty and are definately cheaper than OEM. I bought them locally for $349.00. The install was a breeze, maybe 1/2 hr tops. If I were to do it over again I would probably go with the OEM chrome because of the slicker mounts.:rolleyes:

You can see the mounted side steps at my webpage under Pilot.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1fi18

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Just installed mine

tledjazz said:
I just installed the boards i got from the link below. The brackets had holes for all four factory mount points, but the kit only came with 2 bolts/bracket (12 total) so we got 12 more from the local Lowe's. Pix to come
http://www.runningboardfactory.com/product.asp?0=287&1=299&3=131
Those look pretty good! Are they sturdy when standing on them? They say they're plastic with aluminum inside.. are they strong? Also, is there air space between them and the body so water won't stand there? That's almost 1/2 the price of OEM boards.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: Just installed mine

tledjazz said:
I just installed the boards i got from the link below. The brackets had holes for all four factory mount points, but the kit only came with 2 bolts/bracket (12 total) so we got 12 more from the local Lowe's. Pix to come
http://www.runningboardfactory.com/product.asp?0=287&1=299&3=131
I agree -- pricewise and designwise, those boards seem very promising. Please post pictures of installed product as soon as possible. Might very well be a viable alternative to the fairly expensive OEM boards. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pictures as promised

Here are some shots of the Accra boards on my rig. They're pretty sturdy. The tread attaches with 3m tape. the cut of the tread is a little rough on the curved ends, but it doen't look bad once you lay it down. The aluminum channel keeps the boards pretty rigid. There's a little flex when you stand on the back, but I think that has more to do with the position of the bracket mounts than anything else. Installation was pretty easy once we figured out where the mounting points were, and after we bought the additional bolts. Overall I'm satisfied, and couldn't see paying the extra $$$ for the OEM units. Now I'm looking for some nice lights to put on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pictures as promised

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: Pictures as promised

tledjazz said:
Thanks for the photos. Do you foresee any problems if a rear splash guard is already in place? When you mentioned some "flex" if you stand at at the end -- does this flex occur with the normal entry through the rear door, or did you mean standing on the extreme rear end, say when you are trying to dry the roof after a wash? Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the rear splash guards. No problems. By flex I mean if you stand on the very end. Otherwise they feel solid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts