Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with the oem hitch not having all the bolt holes slotted for adjustment?
One out of five are slotted on mine, not allowing me to adjust it side to side within the bumper openings. Leaving me with no gap on one side of my electrical harness.
To center it up I almost half a bolt hole off, not what I have come to expect from Honda.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
How about using a hole file to open up the holes to your satisfaction?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Mine isn't like that at all; outlet is perfectly centered. And it was DIY install, so that's a miracle. No spare parts, either. :wink:

Make sure you have the outlet mounted in the bracket on the hitch as Honda intends. And see if you can shove the whole bumper cover to align it. There is a lot of give in that, and there is some extra room in the slots that accommodate the chain eyelets. I did a stupid and drove off the end of a small culvert once, dragging the bumper cover out away from the hitch and getting it jammed out of place, but with a small crow bar and some "persuasion" I got it popped back into place.

But if you have to slot that last hole on the hitch, I don't think there is any harm in it. Those bolts get torqued down ridiculously tight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone else had a problem with the oem hitch not having all the bolt holes slotted for adjustment?
One out of five are slotted on mine, not allowing me to adjust it side to side within the bumper openings. Leaving me with no gap on one side of my electrical harness.
To center it up I almost half a bolt hole off, not what I have come to expect from Honda.
Mine is just like yours, and it was installed by honda dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine isn't like that at all; outlet is perfectly centered. And it was DIY install, so that's a miracle. No spare parts, either. :wink:

Make sure you have the outlet mounted in the bracket on the hitch as Honda intends. And see if you can shove the whole bumper cover to align it. There is a lot of give in that, and there is some extra room in the slots that accommodate the chain eyelets. I did a stupid and drove off the end of a small culvert once, dragging the bumper cover out away from the hitch and getting it jammed out of place, but with a small crow bar and some "persuasion" I got it popped back into place.

But if you have to slot that last hole on the hitch, I don't think there is any harm in it. Those bolts get torqued down ridiculously tight.
My cover is just like the picture posted by the OP. I have looked under the suv but there are no obvious bolts to loosed and move.
When you say "shove the whole bumper cover" are you loosing something first and then tightening them back?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Never mind the bumper cover "adjustment". Mine was missing plastic fasteners because of past (mis)adventures. With fasteners replaced, it's still centered, but it no longer has much "give". Dunno what the deal is with your alignment issues. Guess it's back to trying to pivot or slide the whole hitch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same issue, installed my hitch and harness this evening (All OEM). Install was straightforward. The hitch itself has 3 bolt holes on each side. Of these the two holes that are closest to the front of the vehicle are slotted for adjustment, the two closed to the rear are not. This effectively means that there is only one position for the hitch with no left / right adjustment.

As a result my wiring harness is tight to one side of the cover with a large gap to the other side. Looks like I will have to drop the hitch down this weekend and do a little filing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cost of the DIY Harness and Hitch kit

Can anyone who has done this install themselves tell me how much the kit cost and how complicated the harness attachment task was? I have installed hitch before in a Sienna but haven't pulled the electrical harness myself before. Also, does the OEM kit include the pre-finished plastic cover for the bumper so only the harness and hitch show and the rest off the body of hitch is covered? Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cost of the DIY Harness and Hitch kit

Can anyone who has done this install themselves tell me how much the kit cost and how complicated the harness attachment task was? I have installed hitch before in a Sienna but haven't pulled the electrical harness myself before. Also, does the OEM kit include the pre-finished plastic cover for the bumper so only the harness and hitch show and the rest off the body of hitch is covered? Thanks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yes, OEM hitch includes replacement panel for the bumper cover. The panel has a pre-scored cutout for the trailer wiring plug, and you cut it out with a utility knife if you are installing the wiring harness. You can download installation instructions from owners.honda.com in the accessories section. I paid $324 hitch, $202.50 wiring harness, but you can probably do better. I was in a rush when I took delivery. IMO the harness installation is a PITA. It might help to have small nimble hands and eyes that still focus.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, OEM hitch includes replacement panel for the bumper cover. The panel has a pre-scored cutout for the trailer wiring plug, and you cut it out with a utility knife if you are installing the wiring harness. You can download installation instructions from owners.honda.com in the accessories section. I paid $324 hitch, $202.50 wiring harness, but you can probably do better. I was in a rush when I took delivery. IMO the harness installation is a PITA. It might help to have small nimble hands and eyes that still focus.
Couldnt agree more, the harness install is a real PITA complicated by tight spaces and poor instructions from Honda. The first part which took me some time to figure out is to find then actual vehicle wire. This is taped together about 12 inches above the opening in the side of the car. You have to reach up and somehow without seeing what you are doing unwrap / break / cut (If your brave) the tape to get the wire to fall down so you can wire into the harness. After that though its relatively straight forward.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you Wanderer and Deveb926 for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. After posting the message I went on to research online and found the OEM hitch for around $254 and the Harness for approx. $160. Can't recall if the prices included shipping but even if they were shipped for free that about $400+ just for part. I am looking at purchasing the 2017 Pilot EX-L when it becomes available and the dealer quoted $550 for Honda OEM and $450 for non OEM Hitch & Harness installed. Based on your experiences and my research I am thinking having the dealer install the darn thing will be the better way to go :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got my wiring from e-trailer real easy to install. Just picked up my hitch from Bernardi Honda and all the holes are slotted

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought the parts from the USA and had it shipped to Port Huron (my USA address) for $ 342.00 US. ( $456.00 cdn.). Compare I would have paid from Honda here $ 825.00 + tax $ 932.00 cdn. that's a heck of a saving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recommend watching this video by e-trailer regardless of which harness you are installing. It provides good visuals to help you remove the interior panels just enough to make the installation of any harness much easier.
I think Honda's OEM hitch and harness are worth the extra $ just for the looks alone. Honda's harness only comes with the 7-blade connector, so get this adapter for the more common 4-flat.

I bought mine from Honda Village Parts. Check their front page as it often has shipping coupon posted.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Took me 10 min. to install the wire harness and since I only put the flat 4 wiring it was easy. Will never pull any more then a small utility trailer that is all I needed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So just installed the Honda hitch to-day. Used a 2X6 on my floor jack set the hitch on it and jacked it up went perfectly. All the holes lined up, start to finish took 1 hour.

·
Registered
240 Posts

On my hitch that I just purchased all the holes were slotted, easy install

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am thinking about order trail hitch receiver. Do you guys think Honda OEM accessories are necessary? I found ones made by Curt with much better price. Do you have and comment on its quality?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts