Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a small coolant leak, according with the dealership.

What radiator are you guys replacing yours with, I looked on Rock Auto there's a Denso.

Is the Denso the best choice?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just installed this at the shop last month--Denso 221-3232 Radiator. Perfect fit and is working well, so far! I also ordered 2 gallons of Honda coolant (just in case) and a case (12 quarts) of automatic transmission DW1 (I since changed transmission fluid 3 more times). All orders thru Amazon. The mechanic only used 1 gallon coolant, by the way, Labor bills totaled $410.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beato, what year is your Pilot?

RockAuto calls for number 211-3226, plus Amazon says the 3232 does not fit.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,937 Posts
I purchased an OEM radiator a couple years ago for my wife’s 2005. Bought it from
hondaautomotiveparts.com
It wasn’t that much more than an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I purchased an OEM radiator a couple years ago for my wife’s 2005. Bought it from
hondaautomotiveparts.com
It wasn’t that much more than an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OEM rad's design is flawed. Its crimp ends far from the ports and that is where the plastic warps away from the aluminum core as nothing supports it. The good quality aftermarket rads are crimped all the way to the ports and that prevents the warpage. If you are replacing an OEM rad with another OEM rad, you are perpetuating Honda's intentional design flaw and would have to do it again.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Can, do you have photos of the differences between aftermarket crimps vs OEM crimps?
And do you know what Honda changed for 2005 Pilot radiator revisions? The radiator I replaced on my wife’s 2005 was a newer revision than the original one.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
No photos and no brand names unfortunately. My mechanic showed me the difference visually when he replaced my already leaking OEM rad at 60k miles when I originally bought my Pilot. Look at the lower port. If the crimp goes all the way to the port - this is a good design. If however there is a couple of petals left un-crimped to the left and right of the port, than that is the flawed Honda design.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
No photos and no brand names unfortunately. My mechanic showed me the difference visually when he replaced my already leaking OEM rad at 60k miles when I originally bought my Pilot. Look at the lower port. If the crimp goes all the way to the port - this is a good design. If however there is a couple of petals left un-crimped to the left and right of the port, than that is the flawed Honda design.
sounds like the same issue with the air bags ..manufacturing issues

1 - 13 of 13 Posts