1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Aftermarket with lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
13 year old pilot ? depends on the wallet .. i doubt aftermarket will bring in another 145k ..i have 199k rear is now starting to leak...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Rears can be neglected for a long time. The fronts CV joints take the brunt of wear and start clicking in the sharp turns. Then they have to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Is there a maintenance schedule for the Front and Rear CV's? We have 214000 on our 2005 and have never heard any grinding noise. 99.9% road mileage. Also, do you go until you see grease coming out of boot or until you hear grinding?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
No, you replace them when you know there is a problem such as vibration, torn boots, or clicking CV joints. If they do not create vibration, then the other two can be ignored.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Thanks!! Got torn boot on passenger inner and leaking grease at driver inner! Replacing both sides completely. I want another 214k !!! ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies, has anyone actually changed the fronts with aftermarket and have had zero issues? If so, please let me know which brand. I previously tried an aftermarket axle which made the car wobble, and threw my old oem one back in and all was fine again. I spoke with a honda tech who stated for our gen, that only oem work correctly. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I did use an aftermarket axle on my Nissans and the only issue was that the boot on one of them developed a tiny crack after 5 years with low miles. Never used them on Hondas.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
An oem part got you to 214k ... I highly doubt any aftermarket part can do the same ..I could be wrong but I would consider OEM's as an investment if your planning another 200k

The older nissans are build almost bullet proof ... What I really miss is the true 4x4 , A feature that the pathy has that the pilot cant even come close .

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Thanks again for all the replies! Garage told me OEM Quality and Not Cheap Parts- Import Direct is what I found out they put in. Price wise- cheap parts however; They are as smooth as the OEM's taken out that had the ripped boot and leaking grease, so I guess they did a good job putting them in and seem to be better than APEAS2 aftermarkets he had trouble with.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
import direct ? I may have to look into this as another venue to get parts from

1 - 15 of 15 Posts