Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is there a PLUG receptacle for a custom trailer harness in NON Tow Prepped builds.

Curt show nothing if you don't have Tow Prep built in!! So I wonder where installers getting the converter power an signaling inputs for it. I wouldn't want the snap on splicing of the light wires as in the old days. Most may not work either.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Is there a PLUG receptacle for a custom trailer harness in NON Tow Prepped builds.

Curt show nothing if you don't have Tow Prep built in!! So I wonder where installers getting the converter power an signaling inputs for it. I wouldn't want the snap on splicing of the light wires as in the old days. M
ost may not work either.
I believe all 3rd Generation Pilots have the wire harness connector installed from the factory behind the rear trim panel on the driver's side? No need to splice in if you purchase the other part of the harness that is sold for the trailer connections. It's "Plug and Play" When looking on the link I posted below, click on the Instructions/Installation button to see where it connects to. This is for the 2019-2021 but 2016 and up should also be similar.

Trailer Harness

·
Registered
884 Posts
I see, well confirmed from the PDF in the link on the 2019.

There is an extensive list of parts for it to work. More than just harness's (Two of them) plus a lot of other items. No wonder Curt specifies Tow package vehicles only.
Again, ALL 3rd Generation Pilots will have the harness connector but there are NONE that come from the factory with the tow package. That is something the owner or dealer can add on and it could include the wire harness which connects to the already factory installed connector, the hitch, the transmission cooler, and the ball. Those four items can be added individually over time, all at once, or only one or two could be added, depending on the intended purposes. You could install just the hitch for carrying bikes, and not install the transmission cooler or brake light harness if you wanted.

Or you could install the hitch and the harness for light towing.

The earlier generation Pilots DID have a factory tow package option and that is what the Curt specifications are probable referring to, for those Pilots 2015 and older. 2016 and newer do not have a factory tow package, only an added one

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I must apologize in advance as the list in the PDF not only list two harness items, but relay, control unit fuses and more. So these are all optional items needed in order to get trailer lights going then from what you're saying.

I know the hitch is a separate item with some OEM's and other built in on the vehicle. Others all the functional wiring is ther to the rear except for the converter module common to all vehicles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well I must apologize in advance as the list in the PDF not only list two harness items, but relay, control unit fuses and more. So these are all optional items needed in order to get trailer lights going then from what you're saying.

I know the hitch is a separate item with some OEM's and other built in on the vehicle. Others all the functional wiring is ther to the rear except for the converter module common to all vehicles.
I believe all of those items are included with the purchase of the harness package. They are not optional items but included.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes as I understand it as well. But is it with the Tow Package option as well as everything regarding towing seems to be extra options. Hitch, harness package.
Few if any used Pilots are listed with a Tow Package installed. With that, a lot appears to be needed to be added, over and above the obvious class III hitch. It seems that this harness package and transmission cooler kit both need adding into them before a trailer will work. Given the tranny's overheating on there own in many cases I wouldn't attempt towing anything without a transmission cooler kit in one. Also I'd want all 6 Cylinders running all the time!!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
ON my 1st Gen, I think all Gens actually, there is an empty plug under the trim on the left side under the rear hatch. I bought a 'kit' light harness for the Pilots, that have everything already installed. I installed the 'Pilot specific trailer wire harness in literally minutes after watching one of the Uhaul videos on the Pilots trailer wiring install. ON YouTube.

Now, if you want a brake controller- it's not on there- just the proper light wiring.
Yes you need a hitch. It you're towing over (manual states 2500#'s?), you'll need the extra- to air tranny cooler too. HTH.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
I am referring to 3rd Gen as in 2019 FYI. Post #6 refers to it.
Thx
Right, I actually knew that.

I thought all the Gens were the same w/ the OEM trailer wiring harness plug?
If not, sorry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Right, I actually knew that.

I thought all the Gens were the same w/ the OEM trailer wiring harness plug?
If not, sorry.
No worries, I am trying to figure it out factually. A lot of misinformation or confusion. If next year I decide on a EX-L and it didn't have the tow package or even if it did. I want to know what was then needed. I am not keen on the push buttons at all shifting etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts