Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got the OEM hitch for my 2017 touring. I did it myself, and went without issue, except one of the bolts just won't go in. It is the Rear-most bolt on the passenger side. It goes in easy for he first half of the threads, and then just stops. I can't get it to go in any further. I can't see anything specifically stopping it, and I stuck a screwdriver up there and that goes through without issue.

Anybody else have this issue? I'm going to try to find a wire brush to run up through there. Otherwise, I'm afraid I might have to re-bore the hole? Has anyone had to do this, or know what bore kit I would need??

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peter, I think I just messed up my terms. Running a tap through it is what I actually meant. Do you know what size I would need?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Thanks Peter, I think I just messed up my terms. Running a tap through it is what I actually meant. Do you know what size I would need?
M14 - 1.5 x 40 is the size of the bolts.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
137 Posts
Confirming they are M14. (metric, 14mm)

If your vehicle is 2 years old, then the weld-nuts on the frame are likely corroded and/or filled with road debris.

WD40 and a quick tap run through should clean that up.

Be careful you don't cross thread the tap and screw up the threads worse!

Also, etrailer sells a 1/2" nylon tube brush specifically for cleaning out weld-nuts:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Fastenal/814092.html

You could try something similar with some spray lube before running a tap, if it's just crud in there there's less risk of damaging the threads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I think it was just gunk in there. I sprayed it out with my air compressor, and ran the bolt up in a couple more times, but it still pretty much had a hard stop. I swapped it out with another bolt, and after running that one up a couple times, taking it back out, cleaning things up, and putting it back in, it finally went through without me having to force it too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts