Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see much discussion on here about what brand to use for ignition coils. My brother's Pilot had one fry out (at 220k miles - so not entirely surprising), and we're trying to decide if we should go OEM (~$60 / coil), NGK on RockAuto (~$30 / coil), or cheapest (~$10 / coil).

Because it was only one, we're planning on replacing just that coil. And while we're at it, replacing all the plugs since we can't remember the last time they were changed.

Thanks!

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
I think as a rule of thumb when replacing coils don't just change the one go for all six and perhaps replace all of the spark plugs while you're at it. I read somewhere that when you only change a single coil you start having other unintended problems because of the possible mismatch of coils. So, do try to get all stock coils or NGK coils & spark plugs (heard they're pretty good) and I believe they have a few sets on Amazon you can buy for pretty cheap instead of buying at the Autoparts (unless of course you need them yesterday).

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Depends on how long your planning to keep the pilot ..the OEMS lasted 220K ..no aftermarket product will last that long. If your only doing short term than go for the NGK plugs and wires. I think NGK is pretty close to OEM specs though.

Reactions: pilotalbert87

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Meh, I'd do like for tires or brakes. Change them in sets, not individually. Maybe that's just me. I'd go with the NGKs from Rockauto (and enter the Piloteers 5% discount code).

5% Discount Code: 20CC2CFAD669A0
Expires: May 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Meh, I'd do like for tires or brakes. Change them in sets, not individually. Maybe that's just me. I'd go with the NGKs from Rockauto (and enter the Piloteers 5% discount code).

5% Discount Code: 20CC2CFAD669A0
Expires: May 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know we get discounts for being Piloteers!!!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
I have also heard it’s a good idea to replace coil packs as a set. I definitely wouldn’t go with the cheapest ones. NGK and Denso are respected spark plug manufacturers, so I personally would go with either if you don’t go with OEM.

I just checked and Rock Auto lists Denso as the OEM supplier for coil packs (at least for 2005 Pilots).

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've used Majestic Honda quite a bit over the years for my '05 Pilot and '98 CRV...never had a problem with them. In fact, over a week ago I bought a right rear back-up light housing for the Pilot and a bunch of little odds and ends for both vehicles. I have to place another small order since I need four bolts for the compensating arms in the rear of the CRV. It never ends but I'm taking advantage of this down time since we're pretty much stuck at home anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys (I'm the brother referenced by poster). I'm about to order NGK plugs and coils off rockauto, using the code specified above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
NGK and Denso coils and plugs are reported to be counterfieted en masse and sold on ebay and amazon. I only buy them from Rockauto and dealer websites. Or the local parts store.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX
5 Posts
Hi all,
First time posting or commenting.
Thank you all for the information above. It's been super helpful. I just got an engine misfire code pop up yesterday so I'm gonna go ahead and follow the above suggestions.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Hi all,
First time posting or commenting.
Thank you all for the information above. It's been super helpful. I just got an engine misfire code pop up yesterday so I'm gonna go ahead and follow the above suggestions.
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of good folks here so don’t be hesitant to ask questions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts