Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the trigger and purchased a 2021 Elite. Want to get some crossbars for a cargo box.

2 questions:

1. Do the OEM crossbars produce additional wind noise? I know they are not adjustable and once you put them on, they stay on. Aftermarkets (like Yakima) are adjustable and can take them off when not in use -- eliminating any additional wind noise.

2. Those with OEM crossbars -- which Yakima box (or Thule) fits best. I prefer Yakima (made in USA).

I am a little hesitant on aftermarket detachable crossbars -- I have never had "flush" side rails before -- not sure how sturdy the crossbar connection will be. But, if I use the OEM crossbars and cannot find a box that fits, or the crossbars produce a ton of wind noise -- that would not be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pulled the trigger and purchased a 2021 Elite. Want to get some crossbars for a cargo box.

2 questions:

1. Do the OEM crossbars produce additional wind noise? I know they are not adjustable and once you put them on, they stay on. Aftermarkets (like Yakima) are adjustable and can take them off when not in use -- eliminating any additional wind noise.

2. Those with OEM crossbars -- which Yakima box (or Thule) fits best. I prefer Yakima (made in USA).

I am a little hesitant on aftermarket detachable crossbars -- I have never had "flush" side rails before -- not sure how sturdy the crossbar connection will be. But, if I use the OEM crossbars and cannot find a box that fits, or the crossbars produce a ton of wind noise -- that would not be ideal.

Thanks in advance.
I have the OEM bars on my wife 2019 Pilot. I went with Yakima Skybox 16. I don’t regret it at all. I was undecided between 16 or 18 at first but either one would have been a good choice. I’ll post some pictures later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Awesome, thanks so much. This forum has been so helpful.
As far winds noise, I can’t really tell with the radio and kids talking I hardly noticed but I can tell you for sure that is nothing that will be really bad. I’m very picky about noise and I can’t complain about the roof box.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don’t hear any noise from the OEM crossbars on my 2019 Touring (neither on my previous 2016 Touring) whenever the roofbox is not installed. I have the Yakima Skybox Carbonite 21 and don’t hear any difference in noise (as fellow pioliteer earlier stated, can’t hear much with the radio, kid(s) and conversations while on a roadtrip. I believe I have the biggest box at the time (2016) that Yakima makes and it does not cause any problems with the rear hatch opening, also sunroof tilts just fine with the clearance of OEM crossbars by and roofbox together. Makes sure if/when you load the box to even the weight fore and aft and keep in mind of the weight limits for the Pilot roof and roof box. I purchased the biggest box as to make sure my kid’s stroller (Chicco Bravo stroller) would fit as other roof boxes would not allow open clearances of the strolller. REI is a great place to test fit a stroller in a roofbox if you live near one. Hope this helps! Have Fun traveling!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t hear any noise from the OEM crossbars on my 2019 Touring (neither on my previous 2016 Touring) whenever the roofbox is not installed. I have the Yakima Skybox Carbonite 21 and don’t hear any difference in noise (as fellow pioliteer earlier stated, can’t hear much with the radio, kid(s) and conversations while on a roadtrip. I believe I have the biggest box at the time (2016) that Yakima makes and it does not cause any problems with the rear hatch opening, also sunroof tilts just fine with the clearance of OEM crossbars by and roofbox together. Makes sure if/when you load the box to even the weight fore and aft and keep in mind of the weight limits for the Pilot roof and roof box. I purchased the biggest box as to make sure my kid’s stroller (Chicco Bravo stroller) would fit as other roof boxes would not allow open clearances of the strolller. REI is a great place to test fit a stroller in a roofbox if you live near one. Hope this helps! Have Fun traveling!!!

Thanks. I am thinking the Yakima Skybox 18. Mainly putting snow skis and jackets/ski clothes in it -- will not come close to the weight limit.

I am past the days of the stroller -- those were good times. 😁

Thanks again.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Had to take a second glance, thought that was my ride LOL but the skybox gave it away. If only Disneyland was open. I hate my Governor. The main reason I haven’t taken a road trip down there this year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry you are packing up to leave Disney. That is the worst - we are huge Disney fans! Also the reason I need more cargo room is the drive from Texas to Florida!

Did anyone consider the Honda OEM box? Seems to be one of the more reasonably priced new boxes and I think is made by someone else anyhow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts