Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Odyssey EX 2015_Chevy Venture 2003_
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to ask my fellow piloteers how long does the OEM battery in this generation last?

Does disabling the auto start feature help in terms of gas mileage and battery life?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just want to ask my fellow piloteers how long does the OEM battery in this generation last?

Does disabling the auto start feature help in terms of gas mileage and battery life?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I just changed out our original, it was 5 1/2 years old. No sign of it slowing down, and did so as preventive maintenance.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,306 Posts
AGM batteries need maintenance, contrary to popular thought these days. When they advertise a battery as maintenance free, they are talking about not having to open the battery and add battery acid since they are sealed batteries.

The maintenance for an AGM battery has to do with charging and storage. AGM batteries should be kept near or at a full SOC, as much as possible, at least 80 to85%. That means driving the vehicle for a reasonable period of time, not just short little trips that are not long enough to let the system recharge the battery. As much as possible get the SOC to 100%.

If you are not going to be using the vehicle regularly, less that once a week, or only making short little trips, then you need to keep the battery charged to avoid sulfation. Not all battery chargers/maintainers are created equal. You need a smart charger that has the specific ability to charge/maintain AGM batteries. AGM batteries, while they can charge faster than a flood acid battery, are more susceptible to damage from being over charged than flood acid batteries. The AGM cycle in a smart charger and used by Honda is a 2 step or tapering charging system. Once the battery gets to a certain level of charge the charging system either switches from a higher rate of charge to a low rate of charge or tapers the charge to the battery.

Be mindful of the ambient temperature when charging an AGM battery. Heat, not cold is a battery killer. Cold temps require more energy to turn over an engine than hot temps so weak batteries tend to fail in the cold, but it is not the cold that caused the failure. A good smart batter charger will have a temperature compensation ability built in to the charger.

As for the Auto Idle Off feature, in terms of gas mileage, no turning it off won't help. That is the reason for the system so save gas when the vehicle is idling. As for battery life, turning it off when you start the car can help extend the life of the battery depending on your driving style and situation. Batteries like to be used so starting the vehicle is what the like to do. If you drive long trips with a stop or two in the mix then no turning it off won't have any effect on the battery life. However if you are doing a lot of stop and go driving then yes, that can affect battery life, as you can keep the battery from reaching that proper 80 to 85% or better SOC.

For what it's worth, I'm 34 months into the OEM battery in my 2020 Passport and the SOC after a full charge and sitting for 8 hours before being measured is 12.7 volts. Since my driving is a mix of city and highway driving I just shut off the Auto Idle off when I start the vehicle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use this charger on my 2018 Pilot Elite, original battery

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
107 Posts
I'm reading through the thread and I didn't know until today there's really something you can do to maintain the battery life of the vehicle. I'm now almost 36 months on my battery and now I'm contemplating on installing this. Is this a permanent install or you needed to pop up the hood everytime? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ 1.25a, are you doing it every night or alternate?
The specs. seems pretty good. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Pilot EX 2WD
1 Posts
New Pilot owner, just bought a CPO 2021 EX Pilot. Longtime Odyssey owner so I'm very familiar with Hondas. At rest after a long drive the battery voltage is reading down in the 12.1 to 12.2 range. When the car is running the voltage is up in the 14s so I know it's charging properly. My wife had a 15-mile commute each way work, almost all freeway so it gets plenty of time to charge. Looks like an AGM battery is discharged at 11.6 so I'm not fully dead but definitely nowhere near the 12.8 fully charged voltage. Car so far doesn't have any issue starting.

I need to disconnect the battery and see if the voltage goes up as there may be something drawing down the battery.

Car has a build date of 10/2020 and was purchased soon after. First owner had it till about March '22 and then it bounced between multiple dealers until I bought it in early October. Wondering if all the sitting killed the battery? It's a 2WD which most people don't want which probably explains all of the sitting around.

My battery tester shows it having over 650CCA so I think the battery is good, just won't charge. But I'm new to AGM batteries.

No battery lights or anything so I'm wondering if the dealer would even do anything?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
1,034 Posts
Better than 6 years on the OEM and still going strong. I do use a NOCO maintainer occasionally when the car sits for longer than a week. I also have CAA in case I need a boost so I am going to see how long it will last.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,082 Posts
Better than 6 years on the OEM and still going strong. I do use a NOCO maintainer occasionally when the car sits for longer than a week. I also have CAA in case I need a boost so I am going to see how long it will last.
Check the thread on jump starting. One of the inexpensive portable jump start setups can make it convenient to not wait for a jump from CAA or AAA. The ground bolt (or terminal) mod makes that easier. Everyone that drives the vehicles should know how to use it.

My friends wife called AAA on one of those cold days. They told her 3-4 hours before they could get there. He called me, she was on the road in 5 minutes so she could pick up the kids from school. Battery replacement came after.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
1,034 Posts
Check the thread on jump starting. One of the inexpensive portable jump start setups can make it convenient to not wait for a jump from CAA or AAA. The ground bolt (or terminal) mod makes that easier. Everyone that drives the vehicles should know how to use it.

My friends wife called AAA on one of those cold days. They told her 3-4 hours before they could get there. He called me, she was on the road in 5 minutes so she could pick up the kids from school. Battery replacement came after.
I do have one of those NOCO Sport Li ion jump start packs for the Motorcycle and it has actually started my wife's Corolla with a completely dead battery. I guess that I should invest in a larger one for the Pilot just in case.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
48 Posts
I replaced my battery just after 2 years from brand new.

I know that's a pretty short time to have a battery, but I had a couple of separate occurrences in which the engine had trouble turning over. I also noticed when I used the start/stop feature, there were several occurrences in which the engine was slow to restart, as if the battery was struggling. I live in San Diego so we don't deal with any extreme weather.

We use the pilot regularly for mixed highway long distance (30+ miles) and short trips to the grocery store. I didn't want to risk the wife and kids being stuck somewhere with a dead battery so I just changed it. Since changing it, the engine starts strong and the idle start/stop hasn't had any issues. I have made it a habit to turn off the idle feature whenever I get in the car.

I should note, my kids are using the Blu ray player almost every time we drive, not sure if that's using up extra energy that would shorten the battery life. I've also taken my Pilot off roading, not sure if that makes any difference?

I replaced the OEM battery with an interstate from Costco. Hoping this one lasts longer than 2 years

·
Registered
106 Posts
2019 Pilot EX-L, OEM SLA (non-AGM) died just under 3 years old, replaced under warranty. Not uncommon in hot Texas climate - tough on batteries, paint, and tires. At least we don't have the undercarriage carnage of the Rust Belt (watching some of those South Main Auto videos where a 5 year old GM pickup is just rotting away is scary.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replaced my battery just after 2 years from brand new.

I know that's a pretty short time to have a battery, but I had a couple of separate occurrences in which the engine had trouble turning over. I also noticed when I used the start/stop feature, there were several occurrences in which the engine was slow to restart, as if the battery was struggling. I live in San Diego so we don't deal with any extreme weather.

We use the pilot regularly for mixed highway long distance (30+ miles) and short trips to the grocery store. I didn't want to risk the wife and kids being stuck somewhere with a dead battery so I just changed it. Since changing it, the engine starts strong and the idle start/stop hasn't had any issues. I have made it a habit to turn off the idle feature whenever I get in the car.

I should note, my kids are using the Blu ray player almost every time we drive, not sure if that's using up extra energy that would shorten the battery life. I've also taken my Pilot off roading, not sure if that makes any difference?

I replaced the OEM battery with an interstate from Costco. Hoping this one lasts longer than 2 years
Thanks for this very informative share, now my thoughts on auto idle stop is still using a battery everytime it re-start from idle which will result to shorten the life of the battery.

Notes:
When the engine is running, Car is powered by the alternator not by the battery so in any means of using accessories will not be a problem.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,306 Posts
Thanks for this very informative share, now my thoughts on auto idle stop is still using a battery everytime it re-start from idle which will result to shorten the life of the battery.

Notes:
When the engine is running, Car is powered by the alternator not by the battery so in any means of using accessories will not be a problem.
Incorrect, the vehicle is powered by the battery while the alternator is there keep the battery topped off while the vehicle is running. Most cars haven't been powered bye a generator for many years now. It is more efficient and better for the battery to be used than for it to sit with only starting duties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts