Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. According to my local Honda OEM ATF cooler setup is for all wheel drive only. The website I've ordered the kit from states it is for both FWD and AWD model. Which one is correct? Does anyone with FWD pilots have it installed?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, the more I look the more answers I find that OEM ATF cooler is for AWD only....that is a BUMMER. Doesn't sounds like installing it on the car still under warranty would be a great idea after all?

I'm NOT HAVING ANY LUCK with my pilot improvements lately....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What tranny do you have?.......6AT or 9AT?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The OEM ATF cooler may be exclusive to AWD Pilots but aftermarket ATF coolers can be professionally installed (or DIY) in most vehicles.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There was a post in the past several weeks regarding someone trying to install a Honda transmission cooler on their 3rd generation Pilot. They were baffled as there was no hole or something to mount a bracket that held the lines. Turned out that they had a FWD which the cooler did fit EXCEPT for that mounting hole.

This is the link to the post but it is a 9 speed transmission. Not sure how different the 6 speed mounting hole is or isn't on your FWD. He did get it installed by using JB Weld or something if I recall. I haven't reread the post.

No mounting hole for Honda transmission cooler on FWD

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OEM ATF cooler may be exclusive to AWD Pilots but aftermarket ATF coolers can be professionally installed (or DIY) in most vehicles.
I just don't get it. If trannies on AWD and FWD are identical, why it's not suited for FWD? Cause honda doesn't want me to tow with FWD?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Did you try to look up a cooler on Rock Auto? If they sell it, it should be compatible

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just don't get it. If trannies on AWD and FWD are identical, why it's not suited for FWD? Cause honda doesn't want me to tow with FWD?
You may be on to something. If I recall, the tow package ups the AWD model to 5k lbs capacity, but the FWD is only 3500 no matter what?

I'm only guessing here, but wouldn't the OEM cooler hook up the same FWD or AWD? Having just replaced the transmission filters on both my Pilot and Odyssey, the connections in that area are just about the same. I mean, I just can't see why the aftermarket ones would fit and the OEM not?

Really puzzling decision by Honda to market the OEM cooler that way.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 9AT is way different than the 6AT. These 6AT installation instructions say nothing about FWD vs AWD.

I had no issues connecting an aftermarket cooler to to the tranny on our FWD Ridgeline. Had to get creative mounting the cooler itself as it is substantially larger than the Honda unit.

If I’m understanding correct, adding a cooler will not increase tow capacity of the FWD Pilot or Ridgeline. I installed a cooler on our FWD Ridgeline because I was tired of seeing 210F+ TFT, not to increase tow capacity.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may be on to something. If I recall, the tow package ups the AWD model to 5k lbs capacity, but the FWD is only 3500 no matter what?

I'm only guessing here, but wouldn't the OEM cooler hook up the same FWD or AWD? Having just replaced the transmission filters on both my Pilot and Odyssey, the connections in that area are just about the same. I mean, I just can't see why the aftermarket ones would fit and the OEM not?

Really puzzling decision by Honda to market the OEM cooler that way.
Precisely my concern at the moment....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
How much weight are you wanting to tow?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The Honda cooler in the link above will utilize the existing bolt holes that are already in place on your FWD Pilot.👌 Nothing to drill/cut, somewhat plug-n-play.

Over at the Ridgeline Owners forum, there are numerous posts where peeps have replaced the factory cooler (that came standard on AWD Rigi's) with larger coolers. FWD Rigi's are very rare, from what I have read, and like Pilots, do not come from the factory with a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s not that you CAN’T tow with a FWD Pilot, it’s that you can’t safely tow over 3,500lbs with an FWD
Yes Sir. Like I mentioned in my prior posts, I have no intentions to tow. In fact, I have nothing to tow, car is my wife's and used for hauling kids and groceries only. The whole idea of the cooler install is to lower the tranny temps during daily use, especially in summer time. And my concern with installing it is potential Honda's perception that car is being used for towing since the cooler is installed. Not sure if this makes sense

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Yes Sir. Like I mentioned in my prior posts, I have no intentions to tow. In fact, I have nothing to tow, car is my wife's and used for hauling kids and groceries only. The whole idea of the cooler install is to lower the tranny temps during daily use, especially in summer time. And my concern with installing it is potential Honda's perception that car is being used for towing since the cooler is installed. Not sure if this makes sense
Yea, saw you post after I had replied lol. What device are you using to measure your ATF temp? If your actually running at 200deg F, I would certainly have that checked out since that’s certainly high, esp. with no actual load.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Yea, saw you post after I had replied lol. What device are you using to measure your ATF temp? If your actually running at 200deg F, I would certainly have that checked out since that’s certainly high, esp. with no actual load.
[/QUOTE
Similiarly, a nice “thing” on the 6sp Trannies is you can fairly easily change out the fluid. Might be worth decreasing your fluid change intervals if you have concerns about a hot running tranny. Fluid is fairly cheap...I believe in the $10 / qt range and if memory serves me well you’d need about 3qts for a “change”

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got an Autel OBD reader connected to the phone via bluetooth. In summer time I've seen temps at 195-200 pretty consistent and I think that's the natural thing for these 6ATs based on the other members experience measuring the temps in their pilots. As far as the ATF fluid change regimen goes I've started changes at 20k in the unit and have been doing 2 D&F every 10k since the fluid was deteriorating that quickly. And I believe part of that has to do with how hot transmission runs. I'll try to get the software update as per TSB but I'm not certain if that'll help with the temps. And that's the whole reason I'm pursuing the idea of cooler install. Complicated, I know...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts