Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread on Pilot length/width versus Ody got me to thinking... anyone on the board own both, and if so, how does the Pilot's performance and handling compare to the Ody? The "feel" of the vehicle, so to speak... a test drive is one thing, but day in and day out driving is much different, in my mind anyway.

Appreciate your feedback on this...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Okay, here goes!

The Pilot feels much "tighter": a firmer suspension, more rigid construction. This helps give it car-like attributes. The Odyssey feels more like a truck, at least when lightly-loaded (we've not had the chance to pack the Ody to the gills).

On the other hand, I think the steering is better in the Odyssey; the Pilot steering is too "slow", i.e., it requires too much turning of the wheel to produce a given response, and understeer is pretty severe. I don't know how much impact better tires would have on this.

The thing that suprised me the most was the difference in feel of the accelerator, since both vehicles have the same engine and transmission, and weigh about the same. The Odyssey responds more quickly to pedal depression, and requires less pedal effort to maintain cruising speed. The difference is so substantial that when I first got the Pilot, I thought I might have a wheel alignment problem. I've not had the alignment checked, but I no longer believe that is the cause. Rather, I now attribute it to the VTM-4 system and the wind profile of the vehicle. I believe this is the reason that the highway gas mileage is so much higher on the Odyssey.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The '03 Pilot has a much better ride (comfort) than the '99 Odyssey.

The '99 Odyssey is tighter in turns, and has a lower center of gravity. The '03 Pilot understeers when pushed in turns much more quickly than the '99 Odyssey.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What dsrpilot said.....
99 Ody is a sports sedan compared to our Pilot, but the Pilot is near luxury compared to the Ody.
I think its due to the suspension settings, insulation/isolation of 99 Ody vs 03 Pilot. I've read that the 02 and later Odys are a lot more plush and less firmly suspended.
Agree that the Ody gets better gas mileage both city and hiway, but love that 240 hp & 5spd auto!
Our Pilot gets about 17 mpg and Ody about 19 in suburban driving.
Braking seems noticeably better in the Ody..!?

Life with Ody and Pilot? ...... love the comfort, quiet, acceleration of Pilot. Feels like a personal luxury vehicle. You don't notice the bulk until you have to park. Lots of respect from this SUV.
Love the space of the Ody, not a as bulky as Pilot but backing out is more of a concern. Superb hiway cruiser, excells at extended hi-speed cruising. Mommy-Van image is biggest downside.

03 EGP Pilot, #15505
99 MB Ody
87 Z28 Camaro
DLT 2K Craftsman Lawn Tractor
2000 Trek 4300 MTB
1984 Team Miyata Road Racer
02 Tomi ChargE Racers
03 Toro 3650 Snow Blower ......

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pirate-kat said:
I've read that the 02 and later Odys are a lot more plush and less firmly suspended.
Actually, the spring rates were increased in the 2002 Ody, resulting in a slightly firmer suspension.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rear end different

Ody leans into a turn much like a truck. You can feel that early and thus adjust for it by slowing. You know right away that you can't ask too much. The Pilot rear end is a little lighter and the sense of body roll comes later into the curve. I haven't noticed acceleration issues.

The Pilot is much quieter because it doesn't have a huge hole cut into the back for the 3rd seat. The overall ride is similar. The Pilot's steering is a little more removed in feel; the Ody is more a typical Honda road feel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's where I read the decrease in handling trade-off for more plush......

epinions review from Mkaresh:
The Bottom Line:
Excellent minivan at a reasonable price. Shame it doesn't handle as well now, but this is the price of an improved ride.

The new van is much smoother and quieter. This makes it feel more luxurious. This comes at a cost. The handling is not nearly as sharp as I recall, and the vehicle now feels as large as it is. As I noted then, I suspect this makes it a better van for the great majority of people, but something special has been lost. The revised Odyssey isn’t nearly as fun to drive as the 1999-2001. I’d say they transferred this attribute to the Pilot, which went on sale a few months ago, but Honda’s large SUV also leans towards the lux end of the lux-sport spectrum.

http://www.epinions.com/content_80487419524

·
Registered
336 Posts
We have a 99 Oddy LX and a Pilot EX. The Pilot rides smoother, but the steering feel is a bit tighter in the Oddy; I'd attribute the difference to the tire choices in the 2 vehicles. The 99 is a LOT noisier; Honda seems to have done some work on the noise leve; the new Oddy is better in that regard as well.

Really like both vehicles; I'd love to get the Oddy versatility with the Pilot's off-roading capability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts