Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to check on the odometer accuracy? I got the input on the speedometer accuracy (pretty close to right on!) and wondered if anyone has had a chance to check the odometer. The So. Cal. Auto Club had a speedometer/odometer check near my local office but, they could not check front/four wheel drive vehicles such as the Pilot.

Thanks,
Henry :4:

·
Registered
919 Posts
r_hammel said:
Matches pretty closely with Police radar detectors :(
DOH!

Does anyone have any info regarding the accuracy of the roadside radar boxes they setup on the side of the road? I usually compare my speed to what they are reading is, but I'm not sure if they are typically accurate.

Chris

·
Registered
592 Posts
heng5:

Are you referring to the Odometer or the Speedometer ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awhile back, we got info from the various Pilot owners that the speedometer was pretty accurate, unlike my other Honda Accords. Now I am trying to see if the odometer is reading the miles traveled correctly.

Thanks,
Henry :4:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thats what I thought, but then people started talking about radar-guns and such so was wondering if the talk is about odometer or speedometer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry, My bad, I lost the intent of the initial question. I cannot say for certain whether the odometer is close to accurate or not, though I would expect that if the speedometer is tracking correctly, then the odometer ought to also. Aren't they usually based off the same gearing? Do you suspect that it isn't or just verifying?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that is the interesting question. In my past experience with the Accords, the speedometer would read 8 to 11 % too fast but, the odometers were supposed to be accurate. I don't know what that would work but, that is what it was. Now that we hear from the Piloteers that the Speedo is accurate, I would like to see how the Odometer came out.

Thanks,
Henry:4:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've checked speed (not odometer) against handheld GPS in my older Accord and found it to be close. Maybe a current Pilot owner (still waiting on mine - September delivery?) who is also a savvy GPS user can do a check for all of us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I compared the speedometer with my GPS on a long trip through Michigan and the indicated speeds on the GPS and the Pilot speedometer were virtually the same the whole way. It's right on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've compared my Pilot's speedo with my GPS also, with the same conclusion. It seems to match exactly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Odometer accuracy

On a whim today, I compared the trip odometer reading vs my portable GPS device, and over a 215 mile trip the car read 1.2 miles further than the GPS. Anyone else tried this??? I concur with the previous posts that my indicated speed on GPS is very close (within 0.5mi/hr) to speedometer.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
As general rule, speedometers tend to read high by 5% or so while odometers are much closer. This is because of regulations that permit speedos to read high up to 10% or so, but must never report a speed less than actual. So they're typically biased high to provide some tolerance that will never read low. Odometers, OTOH, have a tighter +/- tolerance to avoid mfgs having warrantys expire prematurely.

The net effect is that even though both speedos and odos use the same source (wheel speed), there is a deliberate design bias to a high-reading speedo with an reasonably accurate odo.

This is a generalization about all cars, not the Pilot. My Pilot reads about 2.5% high on the speedo. I've never checked the odo.

- Mark

·
Administrator
15,464 Posts
Compared to GPS seems pretty accurate. Just a six mile difference after about 960 miles. GPS was the lower number

·
Registered
136 Posts
I haven't checked to odometer on my Pilot, but have on previous vehicles. I found that a good way to check it is to use the mile markers on the interstate. The mile markers are not that accurate sometimes between each one, but if you check it for 10 to 20 miles they'll be pretty close.

I have checked odometers and speedometers by timing between mile markers and have found that if the odometer is off by say 2% that the speedometer will also be off by that same amount.

Like I said, I haven't checked the Pilot other than with my GPS. The speedometer does appear to be in agreement with the GPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I checked my odometer against interstate mile markers on a recent trip. I found that my odometer read 55 miles for every 54 miles by the interstate markers. I would expect that the speedometer reads faster by the same proportion. This is not too bad actually. My Maxima was off by 1 mile for every 27 on the mile markers.

FWIW, one could combat this discrepancy by changing the tire diameter at the next change. When I give up on my stock 235/70/16 GY Integrities, I will probably upsize to 245/70/16's (something other than Integrities). The extra 1/2 inch or so in diameter is just about right to 'calibrate' the odometer. Of course, this will slightly hurt my calculated mpg, but should make my warranty last a little longer. :D

Best to ya

ps....anybody running on H rated 245/70-16 Cross Terrains? Wondering if the extra sidewall stiffness helps control the herky jerky feeling that plagues the stock setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts