Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I knew how to best describe but here goes. I recently bought a used 2016 EX-l with 30k. Regardless of econ or not when accelerating the up shifting does this odd thing where I can watch the rpm gauge bounce. The engine is similar meaning it shifts smooth but goes up but then slightly down. There isn't a noticable gear shift but on a meter you would see rpms rising but periodically dropping a little bit. Almost feels like riding waves. Is this normal?

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
My sense is that the transmission isn't shifting as quickly as it should. Freshening the ATF probably will solve that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm lost but it maybe normal. try it with cruise control. you said it shifts fine?
Tekken,

The cruise seems to work fine. It's as if I took my foot on off the gas when accelerating. It's a smooth shift but not a consistent rpm increase. Normally in between shifts the rpms would drop maybe half an rpm. In this case if accelerating from 30 to 60 mph, the rpms will do this odd up and down 5-6 times like I'm letting off the gas a little while increasing speed. Probably terrible way to explain but hope that helps

·
Registered
830 Posts
Almost sounds like a shift flare. If the transmission valves stick a bit during the upshift and allow the engine to rev up before the new gear engages, that's a shift flare. Fresh ATF is probably needed. Do you have the 6 speed HONDA transmission, or the 9 speed ZF?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts