Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust system and the flanges on the rear cat is rusting into oblivion. Still works but there is a small leak somewhere so I am ready to just replace the whole line.

Looks like the rear cat is supposed to be surrounded by heat shields which in my case are long gone. I'm curious specifically for NYS: Do inspectors really visually inspect all the emissions related components. For this car if they were to verify the CARB labeling they would need to really dig in there for all THREE cats and take off the sheilds. Orrrr do they just read through the ODBII and call it a day.

Also the rear cat does not look like it has any pre or post sensors. Is that accurate?

·
Registered
242 Posts
They're not going to catch that from my experience in nyc area. I thinking MAYBE 1 in a thousand would spot that in my area.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depends on the mechanic. These guys try and pull jobs saying you need to fix this or that before we can pass you. 2yrs ago had a reverse light out, guy wouldn't pass me and wanted $50 to replace. Go and get a new bulb and notice the old one working. Go back and he said it didn't go on 20min ago, yeah right. Point is shop around if the first shop or 2 gives you problems. I'm on Long Island.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
My exhaust system and the flanges on the rear cat is rusting into oblivion. Still works but there is a small leak somewhere so I am ready to just replace the whole line.

Looks like the rear cat is supposed to be surrounded by heat shields which in my case are long gone. I'm curious specifically for NYS: Do inspectors really visually inspect all the emissions related components. For this car if they were to verify the CARB labeling they would need to really dig in there for all THREE cats and take off the sheilds. Orrrr do they just read through the ODBII and call it a day.

Also the rear cat does not look like it has any pre or post sensors. Is that accurate?
Where are you located? I’m in Dutchess, and if I’m not mistaken emissions testing is only done for Counties West

Technically all NYS DMV requires is a OBD II Emission Inspection.....so I’d bank they’d prob not even notice, unless it trip the MIL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts