Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My next project is to replace the Y-pipe in the '04 EXL pilot with the Walker one . One problem is that it does not come with all needed hardware, e.g., the nuts and bolts connecting the Y-pipe to the CAT:
18176-P08-003 - Genuine Honda Bolt, Converter
Amazon is selling it for $20+/pc and a set of 6 will set back $120+ to my wallet, which seems quite excessive.

My questions are:
(1) what is the spec of the self-lock bolt#27 in this pic ? Is it M10x1.25?
(2) What are the spec of #3 and #4 bolts in the same pic ?
(3) Is it OK to replace the OEM bolts with regular nuts and bolts? If yes, where to buy a good set of replacement ones? Are those sold in HomeDepot good enough (say lasting 3+ years)?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a change of plan: since the leaky part is seen at the flex pipe and the conjunction between the CAT and the resonator pipe, I found a welding mechanic that completed the following fixes: (1) to weld in a flex pipe; (2) cut and weld in a straight pipe to replace the leaky connection (see the 2 pictures before and after). The total cost is $150, for about 1hr of labor + parts.

The net effect: the annoying noise and smelly fume are gone and the pilot drives like a brand new car.

We will see how long the fixes last.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,907 Posts
I had a change of plan: since the leaky part is seen at the flex pipe and the conjunction between the CAT and the resonator pipe, I found a welding mechanic that completed the following fixes: (1) to weld in a flex pipe; (2) cut and weld in a straight pipe to replace the leaky connection (see the 2 pictures before and after). The total cost is $150, for about 1hr of labor + parts.

The net effect: the annoying noise and smelly fume are gone and the pilot drives like a brand new car.

We will see how long the fixes last.
Looks good! If the incompetent Meineke I used could have welded my front pipe/ flex as nice as yours I wouldn’t have an aftermarket front pipe. But with a new exhaust system from front to rear I’m fine although it which may never last as long as the OEM system. P.S. I kept my OEM front pipe and CAT 🐱

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good! If the incompetent Meineke I used could have welded my front pipe/ flex as nice as yours I wouldn’t have an aftermarket front pipe. But with a new exhaust system from front to rear I’m fine although it which may never last as long as the OEM system. P.S. I kept my OEM front pipe and CAT 🐱
Yes, good mechanics are hard to find. I took the car to 4 shops and the first 3 all want >$1000 and some outright declined to weld and insisted on a full replacement.

It's always good to keep OEM parts if possible. Mine still has the original starter, alternator and suspension after 18 years and almost 200k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts