Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
How much would those shields ultimately sell for if you paid for someone (and their benefits package) to design them, the tooling to stamp them out, the sheet metal, a press, someone (and their benefits package) to operate it, keeping them in inventory, someone (and their benefits package) to package and ship the parts to a dealer/retailer - who will also add their own markup/profit?
If I needed these parts, I'd weld a piece of metal on it an drill my own hole. So they loose a sale because they are priced to high.
IMO, they are taking advantage of people who have had their cats stolen.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Yes! This forum is great. Then we also have wonderful resources like NailGrease too!
Lot's of others too! Don't nobody get offended now. I say, settle down.
Oh stop it. Lol, Look at this crazy. 🤪

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
If I needed these parts, I'd weld a piece of metal on it an drill my own hole. So they loose a sale because they are priced to high.
IMO, they are taking advantage of people who have had their cats stolen.
Of course, everyone owns welding equipment.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
$120 for welding equipment versus about $80 for new shields. That makes no sense.
Really?
A pair of cat heat shields is $92 + tax/shipping.
I can fix a lot of heat shields among other things, like welding in a new radiator core support. How much of a savings is that?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
As a non-fabricator myself I would see if there was a way to drill/bolt/clamp the shield back on and if not I bite the bullet and buy the OEM part. I save enough money doing my own work on things that I can justify spending that much on a piece of bent sheet metal.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
As a non-fabricator myself I would see if there was a way to drill/bolt/clamp the shield back on and if not I bite the bullet and buy the OEM part. I save enough money doing my own work on things that I can justify spending that much on a piece of bent sheet metal.
I get a thrill by keeping my credit card in my wallet. 😁

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Really?
A pair of cat heat shields is $92 + tax/shipping.
I can fix a lot of heat shields among other things, like welding in a new radiator core support. How much of a savings is that?
View attachment 148406
How often do you need to do that sort of work on your Pilot?
Is welding in a new radiator core support a regularly scheduled maintenance item of which we are unaware?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
How often do you need to do that sort of work on your Pilot?
Is welding in a new radiator core support a regularly scheduled maintenance item of which we are unaware?
The point is that these small welding machines can pay for themselves quickly and continue to save you money long after.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I get a thrill by keeping my credit card in my wallet. 😁
I get the same thrill. Only DIY'ers can get the most value out of there vehicles. But I also understand once a vehicle reaches a certain age, you need to break the attachment to it, or you will end up dropping to much money and time into it and it could become a diminishing return. It's a hobby and it's fun.
Thanks for the tip on the welding machine but now I'll need a welding helmet.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts