Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Piloteers
I need to do a valve adjustment and timing belt. While I'm there should I replace any other parts?
I am using Rockauto for the Aisin timing belt kit, valve cover gasket, feeler gauge, oil filter housing gasket, oil hole gasket, honda coolant(from honda), thermostat, oil pump gasket.
Should I get crankshaft seal? What am I missing, I may as well make a day of it.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Hello Piloteers
I need to do a valve adjustment and timing belt. While I'm there should I replace any other parts?
I am using Rockauto for the Aisin timing belt kit, valve cover gasket, feeler gauge, oil filter housing gasket, oil hole gasket, honda coolant(from honda), thermostat, oil pump gasket.
Should I get crankshaft seal? What am I missing, I may as well make a day of it.
Oh wow! That's a lot, a lot.
Just to take some pressure off, the valve adjustment can come later.
Since you want to seal your pan and oil pump, yes, this would need to be done when doing the timing belt.
There are some things I would order from RockAuto, but a few things OEM.
Just to confirm, these parts are for a 2010 Honda Pilot.
RockAuto
Aisin Kit TKH-002
Do you need to replace the serpentine/drive belt?
Bando 6PK2135
Has the serpentine/drive belt tensioner been replaced? I would if this is the 2nd timing belt job without changing it.
INA FT40415
My OEM Honda Parts order would be...
(2) Cam seals 91213-RKG-003
Front main seal 91212-5MR-A01
Oil Filter housing gasket 15302-RDV-J00
Oil hole gasket 15115-P8A-A01
Oil pickup tube o-ring 15221-RYE-A01
(2) Exhaust gasket 18212-SA7-003
Exhaust gasket 18393-SDB-A00

Optional
Relief valve 15231-PE0-000
Relief valve spring 15232-R70-A01

Gasket Maker

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I'm sure you have metric tools? 10mm, 12, 14, 17, 19
Also need a torque wrench.
Replacing the cam seals can be a challenge. I used a couple of break over bars and an impact.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write up's. I bet I'll run into some questions while I'm doing the job. It's good to know the piloteers have your back with the DIY help.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Great write up's. I bet I'll run into some questions while I'm doing the job. It's good to know the piloteers have your back with the DIY help.
Most of the torque specs come in the directions that ship with the Aisin kit. Just know that everything has a torque specification. Its important so no bolts get twisted off. Even then, some bolts you remove may prove difficult. I had some trouble with the engine mount bracket bolts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of the torque specs come in the directions that ship with the Aisin kit. Just know that everything has a torque specification. Its important so no bolts get twisted off. Even then, some bolts you remove may prove difficult. I had some trouble with the engine mount bracket bolts.
Yes I forgot to mention. I am replacing the side engine mount when I do the timing belt. I will support the engine with a block of wood and floor jack before removing. More thanks.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I wanted to mention too about dropping the exhaust to remove the oil pan. If your in the rust belt, you may want to be prepared to replace the exhaust flange nuts. I was able to reuse. I gave them a good soaking with PB Blaster (Liquid Wrench 👍) before attempting to break loose. Hopefully the flex pipe is still in good shape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to mention too about dropping the exhaust to remove the oil pan. If your in the rust belt, you may want to be prepared to replace the exhaust flange nuts. I was able to reuse. I gave them a good soaking with PB Blaster (Liquid Wrench 👍) before attempting to break loose. Hopefully the flex pipe is still in good shape.
I will definity need to replace the exhaust flange nuts. The flex pipe seems ok, but the metal shield thing broke loose, but I wrapped it with copper wire and it's been staying on fine for over a year.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I will definity need to replace the exhaust flange nuts. The flex pipe seems ok, but the metal shield thing broke loose, but I wrapped it with copper wire and it's been staying on fine for over a year.
And Honda is insane for what they want for lower cat heat shields! 😤

·
Registered
2 Posts
what i ended up doing is getting a giant stainless steel hose clamp and wrapping it around the cat and heatshield...tighten it as much as i can and the heat shield has been holding strong ever since.

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
And Honda is insane for what they want for lower cat heat shields! 😤
View attachment 148341
How much would those shields ultimately sell for if you paid for someone (and their benefits package) to design them, the tooling to stamp them out, the sheet metal, a press, someone (and their benefits package) to operate it, keeping them in inventory, someone (and their benefits package) to package and ship the parts to a dealer/retailer - who will also add their own markup/profit?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
Thanks so much. This forum is great. It would be a shame to miss something while you have everything apart and then have to go back.
Yes! This forum is great. Then we also have wonderful resources like NailGrease too!
Lot's of others too! Don't nobody get offended now. I say, settle down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts