Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep it simple for quick viewing, taking into consideration those who use dial up. Besides, I don't really want to spend a lot of time to spice it up. Here it is:

http://bkwon.dnsalias.com/pilot/

(new link updated 07-23-2003)

Comments are welcomed .... :)

If anyone has a good OCR software and is willing to scan the index pages (i.e. into a text doc), I'll be pleased to create an index complete with links. Sorry, I'm just not willing to type the complete list ... :D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
bkwon: Me likes what you did with the owner's manual!!! Darn, if I had known you were going to do that, I would've tried a little harder to line up the manual on the scanner so that the scans were straight (many of them are crooked because I was aiming for speed, rather than aesthetics). No, I do not want to rescan those 400 pages again, so don't ask!!! :p :p :p

When I get a chance, I'll see if I have OCR software that came with my scanner (and if I even installed it, for that matter!)...

GREAT JOB!!!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
bkwon: Here are the 9 index pages scanned and OCR'ed... I didn't perform any formatting -- they are "as is" from the OCR software!!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!!

Outstanding job bkwon!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the all ready fantastic job of Kemo to a new level of convenience!!!

Thanks to BOTH of you!!!

:6: :6:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
admin said:
If interested, I can put the manual directly on honda-pilot.org, linked from the top menu.
That would be ideal! I can package a zip file (21 mb including the HTML files). Although the image files are already uploaded by kemosabe, if it's easier I can send the whole thing to avoid linking problems. I've renamed a few files. The alternative is to send you just the HTML files and the few renamed imaged files only. Please let me know your preference and who I can email them to.

BTW, kemosabe, I've added the list of alphabetical index complete with linking. It took a while but it's done! Feel free to have a look ... :)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
bkwon said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

BTW, kemosabe, I've added the list of alphabetical index complete with linking. It took a while but it's done! Feel free to have a look ... :)
bkwon: I am most definitely impressed with the amount of effort that you expended into this project -- terrific job and excellent results, my friend!!!!!! I hope members find this little online reference guide useful!!! :29:

Can I buy you a cold one...??? :7:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, kemosabe, no problem, I'm glad to contribute! You know the OCR software you used is pretty good. Generally, the problem with OCR software is recognizing the letters, e.g. "m' sometimes becomes "nn". I only had to fix a couple of minor problems. I also had to create tabs in the text files (because of the 3 columns) and then use Excel as a go-between to data parse the text files, clean up a bit, etc. which was OK. I'll admit it was tedious linking the pages but after a while I began to really speed things up. I wouldn't tell people at work what I did 'coz they're really going to say I've got nothing better to do at home ... and they're right (sometimes) ... :D

Yeah, I'll take the cold one ... thanks!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
bkwon said:

That would be ideal! I can package a zip file (21 mb including the HTML files). Although the image files are already uploaded by kemosabe, if it's easier I can send the whole thing to avoid linking problems. I've renamed a few files. The alternative is to send you just the HTML files and the few renamed imaged files only. Please let me know your preference and who I can email them to.

A complete ZIP file would be cool. Do you have an FTP server I can snatch it from?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
bkwon said:
Hey, kemosabe, no problem, I'm glad to contribute! You know the OCR software you used is pretty good. Generally, the problem with OCR software is recognizing the letters, e.g. "m' sometimes becomes "nn". I only had to fix a couple of minor problems. I also had to create tabs in the text files (because of the 3 columns) and then use Excel as a go-between to data parse the text files, clean up a bit, etc. which was OK. I'll admit it was tedious linking the pages but after a while I began to really speed things up. I wouldn't tell people at work what I did 'coz they're really going to say I've got nothing better to do at home ... and they're right (sometimes) ... :D

Yeah, I'll take the cold one ... thanks!
bkwon: Now that I've had a chance to take a look at the OCR output, I gotta admit that it did a fairly decent job of doing the "translation" from image to text!! The snag was that the index is three columns and the OCR software doesn't do any formatting.

Me, neither... I wouldn't tell people at work I spent an (almost) all-nighter scanning in a nearly 400-page owner's manual!!! :p :p :p

The next time I pass through Mississauga on our way to Toronto (to visit relatives), I'll swing by and buy you that cold one!!! :26:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts