Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 08 FWD Pilot- 185K on it. Running fine.

Was on the Interstate and going down a long, steady grade hill with the cruise control on.
Cruise was set about 63mph. I happened to look down at the tach, and every 10 seconds or so, it was like the engine/tranny would 'Freewheel'!

The tach was steady about 2100rpm on the flats.
On this long downhill, the tach would go down to 1400rpm for a about 10 seconds, then bounch back to 2100 rpm and did it several times.
The speed stayed constant- cruise control on.
The was NO DETECTABLE difference in the engine rpm, other than me watching the tach.

It was as if it was freewheeling and going like almost into neutral, and back to the highest gear, in my case, 5th. The speed stayed constant. The cruise control was ON.
It's like the ECU told it to do this to save on fuel and take advantage of the perceived gravity effect of the hill?

I've never had any tach wandering/shifting problems thus far. I still DON'T.

I'm sure someone is gonna say, oh, it's that VCM! Disable it!
Not so fast, I don't think so.

Without anything being 'wrong', has anyone experienced this?
This going to a 'false neutral/freewheeling' while the cruise control is on going down long hills? Again, I only even noticed it b/c I glanced at the tach. The speed stayed constant.

I feel There is nothing 'wrong' with our 08 Pilot when it does this.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
The 2013 and 2008 both do that. I think it has something to do with Honda grade logic or whatever it is. Sometimes it'll hold higher RPMs to sort of "engine brake" or it'll drop almost like its in neutral.

I don't typically use cruise control on hilly terrain and I believe the owner's manual suggests not doing so.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I don't typically use cruise control on hilly terrain and I believe the owner's manual suggests not doing so.

It's really hard on the engine and transmission. I prefer to feather it out, avoiding the passing gear as much as possible. Even if it means loosing some speed going up hill.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for letting me know your Pilots also do something similar.
It wasn't 'hilly terrain' It was a long, steady grade, long downhill, like over 3/4 mile. It's not steep either, just steady downhill.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
View attachment 142039
It's really hard on the engine and transmission. I prefer to feather it out, avoiding the passing gear as much as possible. Even if it means loosing some speed going up hill.
A few weeks ago I was riding with someone who was basically driving with the cruise control. Made me feel bad for the poor car!!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
It's doing the grade logic speed control. I didn't know my 05 had it until it did it coming down I77 towards Charlotte NC. Looked up the owners manual and there it was.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's doing the grade logic speed control. I didn't know my 05 had it until it did it coming down I77 towards Charlotte NC. Looked up the owners manual and there it was.
The What? If your 05 has it, om 08 SE should have it too.

I'm going to go home the same way today in my 08 Pilot. I'll try the CC set on while going down the long grade. I'll see if it reproduces it. I'm thinking it will.
And, just to be clear, I don't use CC with traffic around, if it's wet, snowy/icy, etc.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The What? If your 05 has it, om 08 SE should have it too.

I'm going to go home the same way today in my 08 Pilot. I'll try the CC set on while going down the long grade. I'll see if it reproduces it. I'm thinking it will.
And, just to be clear, I don't use CC with traffic around, if it's wet, snowy/icy, etc.
Grade Logic will gear the transmission to hold the car at a certain speed if you’re coasting or going down a big hill. It’s perfectly normal for your car. Some people don’t notice since it’s pretty unnoticeable.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Cruise control is good for flat roads without too much traffic. For hilly areas, not so much.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
I think it only did it that once coming out if the mountains. It all depends on traffic and whether you are able to maintain CC use. Whatever you do drive safely

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grade Logic will gear the transmission to hold the car at a certain speed if you’re coasting or going down a big hill. It’s perfectly normal for your car. Some people don’t notice since it’s pretty unnoticeable.
Ok, Right.
Was able to set the CC @ 62 mph, clear highway lane, steady long downgrade again.
I watched the Tach again. A few times, it would go from 2000rpm, to 1400rpm.
I watched closer and it would only stay there about 3 seconds, then bounch back up to 2000rpm.
I could not 'feel' or hear anything different.
IMO- I think it freewheels the tranny like a false neutral- and when it does this it also cuts or nearly cuts the injectors/Throttle body opening b/c the rpms go down, and the Pilot stays the same speed. It doesn't slow at all when it drops from 2000rpm to 1400rpm- thus is has to be putting it into a false neutral by I'm assuming disengaging the Torque convertor a bit? It's already in it's highest gear, so I don't think it's finding another/higher gear either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts