Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I have 2012 Touring and I am needing tires pretty soon. Started shopping around and I am leaning towards the Michelin Defender T + H (235/60R 18) just because everyone including my husband says you cant go wrong with Michelin. I looked at my records and I had to change my factory tires at about 32K miles and I believe those were Michelin Primacy MXV4. I was surprised to have to change them so early and did not get to 60K thread life. I think that is why I then went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season plus which have now taken me 45K miles. So they did do better than Michelin, but not the full miles. I am not good at rotating, just found out its free so will do that more with new tires. I think I am a good driver, sports mom and just drive about 15K a year in mostly local area so not sure why tires do not last long. I do live in central Florida so maybe its the heat.
Any advice? Do you have the Defender and they took you to 50K miles? Or any other brands that took you to 50K? I looked at the Nexen Aria but since no name not sure. The Tire Kingdom guy "guaranteed" that if I get Michelin they will last 50K..but not sure if that is sales talk. Any recommendations on how to get a good price for Michelin or Perelli? Defenders are about 200 a tire even at Costco. I have Sams (a member), Bjs, and a lot of tire places pretty close to me.. My husband said to wait for Labor day as there may be sales. All advice is appreciated!!

·
Administrator
15,524 Posts
If you've only covered 32k in six years, Michelin as much as I like them last too long for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My two cents say that it's more than just the overall distance you can drive them. My driving is mostly on Texas roads, so 100+ degrees in summer is common, along with fast highway speeds.

I've had to make multiple emergency manuvers at 70 - 80 mph. These have included avoiding deer, bad drivers, and a front tire blowout. I think the Michelin tires have always been worth it for stopping and safety. When I hit the brakes, I want the vehicle to stop!

I've run Michelin tires on my pickup doing mostly local driving with some highway miles. My cargo van, carrying a heavy load, drives 85% highway miles and the tires held up well too. My previous set on the pickup lasted close to 10 years. My van tires usually go over 50 or 60k. I've got a new 2018 Pilot so have not bought tires for it yet but Michelin will go on when needed.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hi! So I have 2012 Touring and I am needing tires pretty soon. Started shopping around and I am leaning towards the Michelin Defender T + H (235/60R 18) just because everyone including my husband says you cant go wrong with Michelin.
Any advice? All advice is appreciated!!
Already gave you some advice here:
https://www.piloteers.org/threads/h...u-gotten-from-your-tires.160925/#post-1621150

Did you get price quotes for the Continental and Yokohama tires that were suggested?
How do the prices compare to the Michelin (and Nexen) tires?

Check for any manufacturer's rebates.
If nothing is currently offered, call the tire company's customer service department and ask when the next rebate might be available. Same for any of the stores or dealers from whom you're likely to buy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had Defenders on my CR-V for several years. I will need to replace them soon as the tread is getting low. I am right at 67,000 miles on them. On-road driving mostly, mix of in town and highway.

I will be putting the same tire back on as I have been extremely happy with their performance. When my Pilot needs new tires I will be putting Defenders on it too.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,958 Posts
I have run Michelin (LTX MS2) and BFG tires previously on my Pilot. Both lasted less than 40k miles. I’m done spending big bucks on tires for this tire chewing machine. Currently have Yokohama Geolandar AT installed and have been happy with them thus far.
I’m a Costco member but went with America’s Tire (Discount Tire in some other areas) and haven’t regretted it.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
After getting about 50K each from two sets of Michelins, we just put a set of Continental SureContact LX on our 2012.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts