Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've searched this previously but just need the help now.
My wifes 04 pilot has had intermittent starting problems. Occasionally it just clicks. She turns the key to 1/2 for a bit, then it starts.
This morning it did nothing but click so she had to take my truck.
I put the battery on the charger and it was at 95% & just around 12 volts. It's 5 years old so I decided to just go ahead and replace it.

It's on the charger now at 99%, but the car still just clicks.
It did start this morning after charging the old battery.

Where do I start next? I've heard checking out the starter relay and/or ignition switch?

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I'd check all the ground cable/straps for corrosion or breaks. Clean connections.
  • Negative battery cable to chassis
  • Engine/starter to chassis
  • Transmission to chassis
If discovered that replacement is needed, Wal-Mart has some inexpensive alternatives. (Determine lengths)
Product Liquid Gadget Audio equipment Street light

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Where do I start next? I've heard checking out the starter relay and/or ignition switch?
Sometimes the fix may be something simpler. Last time I had an intermittent start it turned out to be a bad ground wire. Based on the age of the Pilot there is a chance the problem may be similar. Take a peek down under and check all the cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I recently replaced the battery terminal connectors and none of the ground or positive wires are in anywhere near as a bad of shape as the previous pictured ones.

The new battery has been charging for a few hours now. Still just clicks....

Looks like I may be replacing a starter tonight.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,323 Posts
Based on your description of the symptoms, your starter has been dying. Its time though for a new one. Its located right under the battery......

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
135 Posts
Similar things happened to me on my boat. It was just a loose connection on the negative battery cable.

Load up the connections with dielectric grease and crank them down.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
Make sure you have a long breaker bar. Getting those two starter bolts loose is the toughest part of the job.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
All good advice here. I can't not like any of it. (y)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update, I ended up replacing the starter with an autozone lifetime warranty unit. The job was pretty straight forward & easy. I did notice the long ground cable that goes from the battery to the block below the starter was little frayed. It was not bad, but slightly corroded & frayed so I replaced it.
Now I have a new battery, new battery terminals, new ground cable & new starter. So far so good. I've started it probably 15 times with no issues...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
So you've earned the Piloteers' coveted successful DIY repair happy banana dance.

Toy Beard Electric blue Event Font

1 - 12 of 12 Posts