Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I really am crazy! But each time I see a Pilot it catches my eye. I mean that fair right, I have always bought the used cars, so this is my first New New car. Well for me each time I see a Pilot it is almost like playing punch buggy, I call out the color and "Pilot".

Well the other day I am driving back from horse country (Middleburg, VA) and I end up driving up behind another Pilot. Wow whats the chance?? When we came to the stop light I was turning left and they were going straight so I ended up next to them, it was a couple. So I rolled down the passenger window, they didn't and mouthed, "NICE CAR", they rolled down their window and I repeated myself. The light turned green and they drove by looking at me like I was a "FREAK". How disappointing
! I have to admit at least if I leave a Honda-Pilot.org business card it will be anonymous.. :(

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
klowry said:
Maybe I really am crazy! But each time I see a Pilot it catches my eye. I mean that fair right, I have always bought the used cars, so this is my first New New car. Well for me each time I see a Pilot it is almost like playing punch buggy, I call out the color and "Pilot".

Well the other day I am driving back from horse country (Middleburg, VA) and I end up driving up behind another Pilot. Wow whats the chance?? When we came to the stop light I was turning left and they were going straight so I ended up next to them, it was a couple. So I rolled down the passenger window, they didn't and mouthed, "NICE CAR", they rolled down their window and I repeated myself. The light turned green and they drove by looking at me like I was a "FREAK". How disappointing
! I have to admit at least if I leave a Honda-Pilot.org business card it will be anonymous.. :(
Unfortunately this seems to be the norm, Klowry. Very disappointing. But if you leave the Biz-Card with "Klowry" on it, well who's to know who u are, Except us and you're one of us. There's no escape! :2:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
a bad experience....just a bad experience..

I have had plenty of piloteers wave at me :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
klowry said:

How disappointing for you! I was followed by a Pilot a few days ago (see "Serves me Right" thread) and ended up having a very pleasant 1 minute with the driver and before that I have felt silly giving the thumbs up and mouthing "great car" at other Piloteers. Most probably think I'm nuts but I still do it. A lot of us on the site understand - otherwise we probably wouldn't be here! :2:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
ramirami said:
a bad experience....just a bad experience..

I have had plenty of piloteers wave at me :rolleyes: :D
ramirami failed to mention that the other Piloteers were waving a baseball bat at him... :eek: ;) :D

klowry: Well, it wasn't Mr. and Mrs. kemosabe who blew you off!!! I always try to make eye contact (behind my mask) with other Piloteers, but I, too, have noticed that many other Piloteers just stare straight ahead (in the D.C. area)... :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I will keep trying, maybe not as directly unless like you (kemosabe) mentioned, make eye contact first and smile.

I will however keep an eye out on long distance trips for any other piloteers wanting to make a cruising partner... That seemed to always happen with me in my previous Passat, somehow I always ended up driving from VA to NC in a long line of fellow passats, cruisng at about 80mph, that was fun ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
klowry said:

Klowry -
I forgot to mention this is also our FIRST NEW CAR - always had really old used ones up to now. So I'm a little enthusiastic and a lot in love...:10:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
klowry said:
The light turned green and they drove by looking at me like I was a "FREAK". How disappointing
Klowry, who knows? They may have been on the way/coming back from a funeral, visiting someone in the hospital, or some other unpleasantry and just may not have been in the mood for a light moment.

I hope you won't let one disappointing experience discourage you from making friendly passing contact with a fellow Piloteer in the future!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Or...maybe they think they have a big bad SUV truck, and CAR bugged them? My sister's 8 y.o. twins hopped into my Pilot and said "YAY! we get to ride in a VAN!" -While I appreciated the enthusiasm, "VAN" still sticks in my head.
:mad:
Snooty P'tooties around here too-I've been ignored many times. I'm still excited about my car and play punchbug with Pilots, and will gladly wave and chat with another Piloteer. We're out there, promise :) Happy Piloting!

ZIPLOCK! When did you change your Avatar? Has it always been that way, and I just now noticed it? It's too cool!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:

ZIPLOCK! When did you change your Avatar? Has it always been that way, and I just now noticed it? It's too cool!
Thanks, 74PILOTMOM!!!

The new, improved Cheshire Cat materialized today, thanks to the help of a magical friend !!! ;)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It's a cultural thing

Here in NY, we don't wave. If somebody waves to me, sure, I'll wave back just to be nice (and hope I'm not seen by anybody I know). The most common expression of acknowledgment is usually limited to a barely perceptible head bob. This, accompanied by a momentary raise of the eyebrows is an indication of overwhelming enthusiasm. We're all too damn full of ourselves and wrapped up in our own pathetic lives to bother.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Bah Humbugs..

Hi too have seen the strange way other Piloteers tend to stare into the emptyness that is in front of them instead of acknowledging me. Too bad for them!

Then you get the one in a hundred (not really) that just loves the fact you have a Pilot too and takes your card and chats.

Don:4:

·
Registered
178 Posts
All of the cars that I have ever owned seemed to have a bit of cult status amungst their owners: Nissan 200 SX SE-R, Honda Pilot and (concurrently) Subaru WRX. I have to say, I am the kind of guy that always waved at and stopped to talk to others with the same car. First in Mass, and now on Long Island, I have ALWAYS been returned with kindness and similar enthusiasm. In fact, I happened upon a young lad the other day parked in his 2003 SE-R and we talked for 15 minutes telling stories about racing around and having fun. My wife has had similar experiences with our Pilot (which she drives the most) and other Piloteers and prospective buyers. Not to mention people with WRX's - they practically hold regular human sacrifices to keep the Subaru gods happy (except me, of course).

Anyway, I guess I have two points:

1. Here in NY, we aren't all that bad (Although you beeter be quick on the trigger at a green light)

and

2. I'm the kind of dope that waves at everyone too. You're neither alone, nor strange for trying to make a connection with someone else. That's what life's all about.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
FOUND ONE!

A happy fellow Piloteer of a RRP passed me at an intersection and did the full on head check with a big smile that seemed to be saying "haaaaaaaay!" behind it. I'm sure I looked just like her in my SS. If you're here lurking, blonde lady in the RRP, NICE PILOT!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
That's great, PILOTMOM! Must be a nice feeling when that happens. That's yet to happen to me here though. With every single Pilot I've seen on the road so far, which has been happening at least once every two days or so now, the driver will take a quick glance at my Pilot and then look away immediately, while there's me like a big idiot with a big smile on my face, ready to wave or nod if we happen to make eye contact.

This one time, which I wrote about in another thread with a subject similar to this one, another Pilot ended up beside me at a red light and the other driver just stared straight ahead. I was looking in their direction for a few seconds, but not even a glance. Felt like quite the fool.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Once in a while folks do respond in the DC area. I ended up following a black Pilot into a neighborhood whilst driving to swim meet last night. He smiled, waved and paused at the intersection looking over my Pilot. No time for talk, but a friendly exchange none the less. I keep hoping to run across (not over) one of locals from this site on the street, wouldn't that be funny coincidence?

·
Registered
620 Posts
klowry said:

Same deal here in Cali. I think one person has acknowledged a wave from me. The rest are not even looking around. BUT, I was driving by another Pilot the other day and I think I missed a wave from somebody, so I am part of the problem not the solution... :whip:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RipRocK said:

This one time, which I wrote about in another thread with a subject similar to this one, another Pilot ended up beside me at a red light and the other driver just stared straight ahead. I was looking in their direction for a few seconds, but not even a glance. Felt like quite the fool.
I remember your story- then the exact same thing happened to me, with an IDENTICAL SS PILOT, actually I believe it was the one that was waiting to be delivered right after mine in the showroom. It ended up directly in front of me, then I ended up following it through through 3 towns without a glance. It's really cool to see what you look like from all angles while moving. They never made eye contact, but I gave them a quick wave as I passed them anyway. Can't wait for the H-P.org license plate frame, I'm sure people will show up here with that constant advertisement on the roads. Hopefully the friendly ones :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think it is just the nature of the world we live in today. I'm not sure why you don't believe that any Honda Pilot drivers could be part of that small percentage of screwed up people riding around with a chip on their shoulders just waiting for the right moment to do whatever or that you may be perceived by others who want to mind their own business as that screwy person. I f you read the threads on this site carefully you will find all kinds of people, even those carrying a loaded guns in their Pilot. I too admire other Pilots on the road, but if the other driver does not acknowledge my Pilot I drive on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We have also seen people driving Pilots who seem aloof. My take is this: some of these people buy new cars every year or so, choosing their model by which way the wind blows. They are not "avid" Pilot owners, and do not see it as a particularly noteworthy vehicle. Unlike many of the members here, they have no loyalty to Honda. They may trade their Pilot when the latest SUV catches their eye.

BTW, this is not our first brand new vehicle, but it is our first SUV and we are proud owners. :4:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts