Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post (though I've spent many hours reading the excellent content on this site). I finally took the plunge, and have a new White Pilot EX coming in June.

I will be taking the family on a 2,000 mile round trip vacation within two weeks of receiving the vehicle and want to keep the front end stone-ding free. Several threads cover the various methods of protecting the front end, including clear film, bra's and the wind deflector. It appears the wind deflector will protect the front edge of the hood, and will also do the best at keeping the windshield clean.

As I look at the half or full nose mask pictures on the Hondacars.com site, I believe the raised portion at the top of the mask should also do some good in deflecting bugs up away from the windshield. Does anyone have experience with the nose masks? Since the raised portion doesn't extend the width of the windshield, it looks like any bug protection would only cover the center third.

Any input would be helpful in my decision, especially from those of you with nose masks.:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't have a nose mask on my Pilot, but I do have one for my Integra. I end up using it very infrequently because you have to worry about dirt or water getting under it. If you are willing to spend the time to make sure you are caring for the car under the mask it is great. I used the mask on my Integra on my cross country trip and it definitly saved the front end of the car. For daily use though we bought a FormFit airdeflector for the Pilot, there are a lot less worries and like today when it is sitting in the rain I have no concern about it damaging the paint. Plus I like the way it looks on truck vs. the mask looks better on a car. Just my .02 I am sure you will get some differing opinions on this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good Question. I've been thinking about the same since I got my Pilot last week. Mine is Balck and I also wonder how black deflector would look on NBP ....anyone got it ?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks PSUPilot. I suspected the mask would take some regular care. It seems like the FormFit airdeflector is the better move. Not sure how this looks on a White Pilot though.

Regarding the mask on your Integra, does it help keep the windshield clean?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jazcar said:
Thanks PSUPilot. I suspected the mask would take some regular care. It seems like the FormFit airdeflector is the better move. Not sure how this looks on a White Pilot though.
You'll find an excellent info on the FF deflectors here, http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=651&highlight=form+fit
You also have the Perfect Fit as an alternative aftermarket deflector and you can find some info on the same link. I have it and I really like it, especially the "wings" that extend over to the lights. The FF doesn't have that. Whatever choice you make will be a fine one. Just do not, I repeat, do not get Honda's own OEM deflector. They have to drill two holes under the hood and uses metal brackets and many people have had numerous problems with it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Welcome jazcar!!!

Congrats on your new Tafetta white Pilot! You're going to love it!
I'm also torn on the mask vs. Formfit- Thanks for posing the question. I have the 1/2 mask on a Civic, and have to just add the extra step to wash it when I wash the car, but they look great. Not too much trouble really.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nose Mask

Personnally, I would never own a nose mask. They trap dirt, and the trapped water softens the paint. No thanks... I'll pass.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RipRock - what a great link - thanks. After reading evvvvvery thread, it looks like the FormFit is the answer.

Thanks for the warm welcome 74PILOTMOM. I will go with the FormFit for my car. I am wondering how it will look with the Tafetta white. Guess that's a minor concern though.

One more question for the group. Now that winter is over, I'd like to know how easy it was to clear snow from the hood the car with the FormFit deflector installed. Did it get in the way? or get hooked on brushes, etc?

:eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Neither

I have seen too many cars that have the paint rubbed down to just a dull smudge from nose masks (bras) and I don't care for all the weird noises that bug/wind deflectors make. I prefer the invisible bra (3M Scotchcal). Closest thing to "natural" that you can do and still protect the front of the vehicle.

IMHO
:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree that the 3M clear bra is the ultimate in "stealth protection". I recall reading your comments about the product on other threads, but not the details. Did you apply yours to the headlights as well as the hood? I was actually thinking applying to the lights along with the deflector. Since the windshield is fairly high and tough to reach when cleaning, the added benefit of minimizing bug juice is still a plus in the deflector column.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jazcar said:
RipRock - what a great link - thanks. After reading evvvvvery thread, it looks like the FormFit is the answer.
You're very welcom. Glad the link helped you out.
Thanks for the warm welcome 74PILOTMOM. I will go with the FormFit for my car. I am wondering how it will look with the Tafetta white. Guess that's a minor concern though.
I think it'll lend a nice contrast between the white of your Pilot and the almost black color of the deflector. I've seen one on a white Pilot on the road before and it looked pretty sharp...almost as sharp as my blue Pilot :D
One more question for the group. Now that winter is over, I'd like to know how easy it was to clear snow from the hood the car with the FormFit deflector installed. Did it get in the way? or get hooked on brushes, etc?:eek:
It was pretty tricky for me at first. You have to remember to brush the snow away from the deflector, so you don't end up shoving more snow under it. Then, you lay the brush flat on its side and carefully get under the deflector and sort of pick the snow out from under. Also gotta be careful you don't hit the 3M bumpon(s) that you attach to the hood which come with the deflector. You can unseat it sometimes.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Mask versus deflector

I agree with other posters who have indicated a preference for the deflector. I had a mask on my 1990 Eclipse and experienced dirt trapped under the mask, flapping at high speeds and an abrasion line under the mask edge across the hood.

Takes a lot of maintenance to keep the hood from showing the wear induced by a mask - frequent polishing and waxing.

You might also want to consider the weathertech deflector. Here's a link to the site / product.

Weathertech deflector

I like the weathertech because it mounts using existing holes (no drilling). I think the best combination would be this type of deflector and the clear 3M on the headlights to protect the plastic from chipping.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought my white Pilot back in Janaury then I bought the half nose mask in February. My advice, don't buy the mask. If after all the members on this forum have not dissuaded you from buying, perhaps you might be intersted buying mine, make me an offer. My Pilot worn the half-nose mask for about two weeks and it collected gravels so quick then I took it off. I will only put it on only for long trip. If I have a choice again, I wouldn't get anything for the front hood protection. If the hood does get chipped, there's always touch up paint for it. After trying on the new look with the mask, I think the original look of the Pilot is perfect the way it is. It's waste of money to alter it's style and for much of anticipated paint damage. It's like buying warranty for your car which most likely you won't be using it.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
jazcar said:
I agree that the 3M clear bra is the ultimate in "stealth protection". I recall reading your comments about the product on other threads, but not the details. Did you apply yours to the headlights as well as the hood? I was actually thinking applying to the lights along with the deflector. Since the windshield is fairly high and tough to reach when cleaning, the added benefit of minimizing bug juice is still a plus in the deflector column.
I had mine installed by a detailer - simply because the hood has so many complex curves that I did not want to chance it. I have int stalled similar 3M Scotchcal protective film on several motorcycles and it is fairly easy as long as the surface is not complex.

This is not the same thickness as the material used for headlight protection. IIRC, it is something like 90mil thick (0.090"). I have it on my motorcycle headlight, but not my Pilot. Then again, my motorcycle headlight is glass and well over $300 to replace!

YMMV
:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
jazcar said:

Regarding the mask on your Integra, does it help keep the windshield clean?
Sorry for the delayed response, but no the mask on my Integra does not keep the windshield clean because it does not have the raised edge like on the Pilot mask. And I always take the mask off the Integra after a long trip and leave it off for around town driving.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Works fine for long trips!

I got the full nose mask for free and have been using it on long trips. I do agree with some posts about the dangers of using them but the benefits easily outweigh the cons if used sparingly and with care.
What do I mean? Well, before putting it on for a long trip I make that there is a good coat or two of wax on the paint surface. And then I always take off the mask as soon as I get back from the trip, inspect my paint and perform any maintenance/detailing, when necessary. This ensures that there is no permanent negative effects of using the mask...and no rock chips, either!

Of course, the clear bra is the way to go if you don't want to do all the work that I do just to use the mask.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If after all the members on this forum have not dissuaded you from buying, perhaps you might be intersted buying mine, make me an offer.

Thanks kippy95, I'll take your advice (and others) and will not buy a nose mask.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My dealer talked me out of the mask. He said that not only would it scratch if dirt/debris got between it and the car, but that prolonged use would make the paint under neath and the rest of the vechile not match. So I went with the deflector. I have had no experience with noise from it, but 2 weeks ago we had the love bug population grow to record #'s. I had bug guts all over everything..what a pain in the :bootyshak to get off!!! Deflector didn't help much during that!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts