Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot and the dealership says it's normal for the battery to lose it's charge in about a week because of the anti-theft. Is anyone else having this problem? It doesn't seem normal to be unable to park your car while on vacation without the battery going dead.
Have your battery checked at Walmart or autozone etc..... anything under 70% the battery needs replaced.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Some of my less used vehicles have no problem starting after several months but a battery maintainer or tender will help batteries last longer and keep them ready to work when you’re ready to start them.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Just tried to start my Pilot after it sat there for over two weeks. Fired right up and took it for a midnight drive burn off the accumulated carbon deposits in its pistons and in my head. We both feel better now.

FWIW, it's a Walmart EverStart Maxx I just installed myself a couple of months ago, but I think the real secret is
a generous dollop of dielectric grease. :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot and the dealership says it's normal for the battery to lose it's charge in about a week because of the anti-theft. Is anyone else having this problem? It doesn't seem normal to be unable to park your car while on vacation without the battery going dead.
Um...no, that is not correct. I leave my Pilot in the garage for weeks at a time and never came out to a dead battery. If they're telling you this, it maybe under warranty and they don't want to fess up the $$ because the battery is over $120 bucks (if you buy one from the dealer). So maybe have someone remove the black battery cover and look for the expiration date or install date and see when it expires or comes due. I always go to different dealers for stuff...if I get the run around on one issue, I'll take it back to the dealer. Like there was a small clunk when I shut off the engine but I never heard it when I was in the car only when the car is turned off with the door open...so I took it to a few dealers and one of the service guys came out and said he was wondering the same thing one day (because he has one) and he found it was the air dam exhausting the penned up air inside the intake. Go figure. Wish you the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honda has really confused people with battery selection. If your Pilot has start-stop technology (engine turns off at traffic light - typically Touring or Elite) then you must have an AGM battery. EX-L and lower trim without start-stop has standard battery. Here is where it gets tricky - the start-stop cars also have a different alternator that has a much tighter control of charging voltage which is needed for the AGM battery to charge correctly. So if you put an AGM battery in a Pilot that was not delivered with AGM, the alternator does not charge the AGM battery correctly and you'll get rapid fall-off in performance. So make sure your battery matches what it is delivered with your model. On other car makes, they typically upgraded the alternators on all cars so using an AGM battery on a car that doesn't need it is not an issue. Not the case with Honda.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, battery should hold charge longer than that. However, couple of things to consider:
1) Did you just plunk the new battery in, or did you measure the charge/charged it before it went in?
2) Are you using proper AGM charger or standard battery charger? Before I knew better, I wrecked 2 AGM batteries by using my old faithful regular battery charger.
3) Have you tested your alternator to make sure it's actually charging?
4) What does your driving look like before you park your car? If you're doing a bunch of short runs, then between running engine and accessories your alternator is not giving your battery enough charge. Still, though, in warm climate, it shouldn't be an issue, provided the battery was properly charged to begin with.

I know I can leave all of my cars parked for 2-3 weeks, come back and start them without any problems. 4 weeks and longer I typically just disconnect the negative terminal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The car only has about 15,000 miles on it. The first time it happened we replaced the battery. It did it the next time it wasn't driven for over a week. I called two Honda service departments and both said that we either need to disconnect the battery or put a charger on it if we're not going to drive it for a week. I just took it in today to have it tested and they said there is not any unusual draw on the battery and it's normal. Just doesn't seem right...
I just read something online about a fuse Under the hood that can kill the battery overnight (which is what’s happening ya me but I haven’t found the cause yet). It seems to be Honda Pilot common: b ut the example was on an older Pilot.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is also a TSB for the Pilot (older, though, I believe, like 2009 ~ 2011) that talks about sunroof draining battery even with ignition off and car parked, go to the NHTSA website, search your model year, and see, if that applies to yours too, perhaps.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts