Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Pilot and the dealership says it's normal for the battery to lose it's charge in about a week because of the anti-theft. Is anyone else having this problem? It doesn't seem normal to be unable to park your car while on vacation without the battery going dead.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Totally unacceptable for the battery to be discharged in a week with or without OEM accessories. Perform a parasitic draw test after getting basic battery/alternator health evaluation by competent technician.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car only has about 15,000 miles on it. The first time it happened we replaced the battery. It did it the next time it wasn't driven for over a week. I called two Honda service departments and both said that we either need to disconnect the battery or put a charger on it if we're not going to drive it for a week. I just took it in today to have it tested and they said there is not any unusual draw on the battery and it's normal. Just doesn't seem right...

·
Registered
134 Posts
What part of the country are you in and how cold has it been. I could see it being an issue if it had been below freezing for a month but I have had mine (2004) sit for over a month while out of the country with no issues when I came back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What part of the country are you in and how cold has it been. I could see it being an issue if it had been below freezing for a month but I have had mine (2004) sit for over a month while out of the country with no issues when I came back.
We live in Tampa, Florida so I don't think that's the problem! :D

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot and the dealership says it's normal for the battery to lose it's charge in about a week because of the anti-theft.
The car only has about 15,000 miles on it. The first time it happened we replaced the battery. It did it the next time it wasn't driven for over a week.
Are you the original owner?
How long ago did you replace the battery?
What battery did you get for the replacement?
When you drive your Pilot, what is the typical length of a trip?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you the original owner?
How long ago did you replace the battery?
What battery did you get for the replacement?
When you drive your Pilot, what is the typical length of a trip?
Yes, we're the original owners - someone in the dealership drove it but they sold it to us as new. We replaced the battery in August of 2019. Battery is a duracell. I don't drive it far - just to the grocery store, etc. usually. I talked to the Honda service manager today and he said if the key is located near the car when we're not driving it, that could be the problem because a signal is constantly being sent. He suggested that when we're going away, we should move the key 50' away from the car...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,471 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I do not believe that Duracell makes a battery for the 2017 Honda Pilot. That should be an AGM battery which for Duracell would be their Extreme line. In doing a couple of searches I'm not finding a Duracell for your vehicle.

Are you sure it is a Duracell or could it be a Duralast? Also is it an AGM battery or a standard starting battery.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Yes, we're the original owners - someone in the dealership drove it but they sold it to us as new. We replaced the battery in August of 2019. Battery is a duracell. I don't drive it far - just to the grocery store, etc. usually. I talked to the Honda service manager today and he said if the key is located near the car when we're not driving it, that could be the problem because a signal is constantly being sent. He suggested that when we're going away, we should move the key 50' away from the car...
Easiest and cheapest first step would be to leave the keys at least 50' away from the Pilot - or take the keys with you - when you're going to be away.
If that doesn't solve the problem, then you should check for an excessive current drain:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Sam's receipt says 348116 Duracell 48/H6.
This then would be the battery you bought. A standard lead acid (flood) starting battery. Like I previously stated I believe your vehicle takes and AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery. They are designed for newer high vehicles with lots of electronics.
A little about AGM Batteries. Advantages of an AGM Battery | Shop Car Batteries

One of the advantages with AGM batteries is the slower discharge rate when the vehicle is not being operated. I would suggest that you check your owners manual to see what battery your vehicle actually needs.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot and the dealership says it's normal for the battery to lose it's charge in about a week because of the anti-theft.
Is its anti-theft system aftermarket?

But yes, also make sure you have the correct AGM battery for your vehicle.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I do not believe that Duracell makes a battery for the 2017 Honda Pilot. That should be an AGM battery which for Duracell would be their Extreme line. In doing a couple of searches I'm not finding a Duracell for your vehicle.
Type of battery depends on the trim level.

This would be the Duracell AGM battery, if needed:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you - I've printed that out and will take it in when I go for the new battery. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Type of battery depends on the trim level.

This would be the Duracell AGM battery, if needed:

According to the owners manual all 2017 Pilots are equipped with AMG batteries.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
According to the owners manual all 2017 Pilots are equipped with AMG batteries.
Where in the owner's manual is it stated that all 2017 Pilots are equipped with an AGM battery?

There is some mention of charging an AGM battery, which is then followed by an asterisk and a note that it is not available on all models.

Furthermore, if you go to the Honda Automotive Parts website, it shows that the battery for EX-L and below trim levels is 31500-TZ3-100M, which is identified as a flooded lead acid type battery. The battery for the Elite and Touring trims is 31500-TZ7-AGM100M, which is an AGM type battery.

Are you suggesting that their information is somehow incorrect?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts