Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around the boards here a little bit and I know a lot of people say they only use the Honda fluids. However, I have also read other threads where people use the stuff at the auto parts store and do not have any problems.

Anyone use over the counter stuff for coolant, transmission fluid, steering fluid, etc. What exactly do you use and why? What is your experience with using it, good or bad?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
"Other" fluids are fine if used for tranny, oil, front diff. (if you have one) and coolant. But do not use any other fluid for your rear diff. other than Honda/Acura branded VTM-4 fluid, this is a must.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the coolant... I live in Florida so it never gets freezing... I am thinking about doing a coolant flush. What should I use that I can pick up at the store? Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been lurking around the boards here a little bit and I know a lot of people say they only use the Honda fluids. However, I have also read other threads where people use the stuff at the auto parts store and do not have any problems.

Anyone use over the counter stuff for coolant, transmission fluid, steering fluid, etc. What exactly do you use and why? What is your experience with using it, good or bad?

Why would someone who spent several thousand dollars on a car skimp on OEM oil, to save a few dollars? I can understand if you are going to save several hundred dollars, but that isn't the case here. Why mess with an expensive vehicle when you can spend a few dollars more and get what Honda recommends?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Why would someone who spent several thousand dollars on a car skimp on OEM oil, to save a few dollars? I can understand if you are going to save several hundred dollars, but that isn't the case here. Why mess with an expensive vehicle when you can spend a few dollars more and get what Honda recommends?
Why is there always the assumption that OEM fluid is better or that using aftermarket oils is just to save money? Redline ATF is not cheaper than OEM.

When my Pilot was made, the Honda ATF was Z1. Z1 is no longer available at the dealer and I'm supposed to use the "new and improved" DW1. Honda tranny problems are not uncommon. How do we know the Z1 wasn't part of the problem in the first place?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why is there always the assumption that OEM fluid is better or that using aftermarket oils is just to save money? Redline ATF is not cheaper than OEM.

When my Pilot was made, the Honda ATF was Z1. Z1 is no longer available at the dealer and I'm supposed to use the "new and improved" DW1. Honda tranny problems are not uncommon. How do we know the Z1 wasn't part of the problem in the first place?
Point taken, my assumption that its only to save money is incorrect.
I would still maintain that I do not claim to know more about Honda than Honda engineers/car company itself. Even if I did, I would still side with them AFA what oils to use. That way I can claim warranty (assuming the part is still covered) and won't have to explain why I chose to not use OEM oil.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not about saving money for me... I personally like to go to the autoparts store and buy the oils and fluids that I require. My vehicle is out of warranty and Valvoline Full Synthetic ATF is fine if not better than the Honda brand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honda does not make any fluids, they can tweak the chemistry or have the exact same stuff in the bottle as offered elsewhere.

I do not mind paying a reasonable price for anything, but dealers should be more competitive with standard parts and fluid, then people would not be so apt to research and find something else.

Not a Honda, but my 2008 Rav 4 water pump leaked like a sieve at 80,000 miles and only ever had Toyota coolant in it a $20 a gallon, their coolant was a waste of money. Maybe an aftermarket anit-freeze would have been better and cheaper!

·
Registered
623 Posts
While under warranty, use Honda fluids in the off chance an issue arises. An exception here is motor oil; HGMO is nothing special and very few dealerships even use it. Just use a quality name brand oil that meets that meets mfg specs and you're good.

Coolant: All Asian coolant is phosphated HOAT and silicate-, borate-, amine-, nitrite- and EHA-free. Valvoline Zerex is a good substitute to the pricey Honda stuff.

PSF: Honda only since aftermarket stuff can make the pump whine and cause cold-weather issues.

ATF: DW-1 is good but many people have good luck with MaxLife.

Rear Diff: Honda VTM-4 only

Transfer case: Whatever meets the spec

·
Registered
230 Posts
As for Honda fluids, I used the coolant and vtm4 fluid.

Otherwise, I use Valvoline ATF, AutoZone PS/brake fluid for Honda, and whatever is on sale for oil and filter for the last 30k+ miles of 160k miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Because many times, OEM fluids is just a rebranded parts store fluid with a 300% markup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because many times, OEM fluids is just a rebranded parts store fluid with a 300% markup.

I bought a Honda mower and the manual says to use the honda oem oil for it lol. I put some 10w30 synthetic in it running great with 100s of hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts