Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I live in the Boston, MA area. I went thru last winter with the OEM Goodyear tires, which were like slicks. I will not go thru this upcoming winter with these.

I really want a tire that is GREAT in the winter. I'm thinking of switching to the Nokian WR SUV tire, which I understand is the first all season, with a winter rating.

Does anyone have any experience with this tire ?

TIA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All tires are a comprimise. Your best bet is a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter. Can't tell you what works best on a pilot (ours is still on order), but I've had good luck with the bridgestone blizzaks on other cars. Tirerack.com is a great source of info even if you end up buying locally.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm with hazmat. I've ran an extra set of winter rims and tires on our Civic and Corolla for years. Found the Blizzaks to be good on snow, excellent on ice, okay for wear. Found the Nokian Haklapiliitas or something like that ("Haks" to those of us non-Finish folks) to be excellent on snow, good on ice, good for wear. Depending on budget constraints, we would like to try some Nokian SUV "Hak's" this fall, however, the OEM Bridgestone Duelers still look to be in good shape, though their tread pattern doesn't bode well for deep snow.

Got our first 8cm of snow this morning and it's snowing as I type...:) The Albertan driver has two seasons... winter and construction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Although I have yet to buy my Pilot, (lease expires in January on current vehicle) like you, living in the Northeast, I would consider either the Nokian WR's for all season or the Hak Q's for winter tires. I had an Audi v8 with Nokian NRW's and they were great and used NRW's on an Olds Aurora for winter tires. I currently use Hak Q's on my AWD Town & Country and Saab 9-5 and I like them very much. The Q's have many sipes and really grip the ice. Remember with all wheel drive or four wheel drive, you can always go, but stopping is another thing. In a nut-shell, I recommend Nokian tires. I have been using them for years. My question, like you, is how do they perform on the Pilot?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have had Nokian WR on my Pilot since I changed them out when the Pilot was still new. Was my plan to use them just in the winter and go to Cross Terrains in the summer. The Nokian's preformed so well and were not noisy so I left them on this summer. Very happy with my choice. Have 30,000 Km (23,000 miles?) and no signs of wear. Only problem is most people have never heard of the Nokian name and don't realize they are the best winter tire there is. The winter performance was super. We had a lot of snow last winter and they performed great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks! Thought they would be great on the Pilot. It's too bad people don't recognize Nokian as the winter, if not all season, tire of choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed out the OEM Bridgestones early on and put on a set of Nokian WR-T in the original size. Like regrus, I had originally planned on using them in the winter and getting another tire for summer use. However, after talking to Nokian, I decided to give them a try in the summer, and I've been very pleased with their performance. They aren't completely silent, but it's not bad at all. Better tire in all categories than the OEM Bridgestones.

The WRs also have a long tread wear warranty (can't remember the exact number). Overall highly recommended.

I had Nokian Hakka Qs on my VW Passat wagon, and they were great in the winter. I wouldn't recommend them for summer use however, although they do quite well on dry pavement.

·
Registered
385 Posts
What's the pricing like on Nokians? I have heard great things about them. Can't find any prices at the online stores.
Just wondering how they compare with Cross Terrains, etc..

·
Registered
1 Posts
suv winter tires

Consumer reports ran a review of snow tires a whiile back and the Michelen Alpin came in best. I bought wheel and tire sets from Tires.com and love them. The Alpins are very good in snow and ice and are surperb on dry roads.. Had them for 3 winters, 20,000 miles and they still look great. Only negative is at certain speeds, 55-70mph, they make a wind road noise like a that sounds like a jet plane engine. Distracting, but I wouldn't use anythig else for our Buffalo winters! The difference in winter driving is amazing. Just remember 4 wheel drive vehicles don't stop any faster in winter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
davemac said:
What's the pricing like on Nokians? I have heard great things about them. Can't find any prices at the online stores.

I'll answer my own question (if anyone is interested in Nokians). Just was quoted $132/ tire, including mount & balance for Nokian WR SUV 235/70/H16.
These are the "all seasons" that are supposed to perform great in snow as well.
Will report back, should I decide to go with them (with intention of using year round).

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tried to find good info on the Nokians as well and came up with mixed reviews.
I decided to go with a sure bet and got the Michelin CTs.
So far they seem great.
They were wonderful in all the snow we just had.

·
Registered
385 Posts
hazmat said:
A place in Portsmouth NH (Davies Tire?) that was recommended by a coworker (who's brother swears by Nokians). The Nokian website www.nokiantires.com has a "dealer locator" feature by state. Not sure where in Mass you are, but there are about 25 dealers in state.

·
Registered
385 Posts
hazmat said:
Thanks! I'm in NE Mass myself (Near Haverhill)
With the wind to my back, I could drive a golf ball into Haverhill (Rocks Village) from my front yard. I'm in Merrimac.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Howdy neighbor. I'm in West Newbury. I live next to the high school. I'll keep my eye out for a black pilot....:2:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
davemac said:
Just wondering how they compare with Cross Terrains, etc..
eTires [www.etires.com] is the only on-line store I've found that sells Nokian Tires.
The WR all-season tire sells for $131 ea. and the Hakkapeliitta 1 snow tire is $118 ea.
Shipping charge for 4 tires to the Boston area would be about $50 additional.

This thread [http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5685] also has some info on various other winter tires.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just ordered a set of Nokian Haakapeliita SUV for $118 ea at a local tire distributor in Elmsford, NY. I will probably put 'em on steel rims so I have two sets of tires and I'll just swap 'em with my OEMs come Spring, without having to go back to the tire place to remount them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered a set for my wife's 04 Honda Pilot after spending 2 days researching and shopping for tires. What sold me on the tire, was when the owner of the tire dealership showed me what he had on his wife's audi. They were on their second season and looked great. I, like many people, used Consumer Reports as a guide. They didn't even review the Nokian, so I was a little skeptical. However, when the tire dealership's owner has the option of putting 4 out of the 5 best tires rated by consumer reports on his wife's car and he chooses the Nokian, that told me alot about what the people who sell them every day think about the tire. Anyway, Good bye Goodyear Integrity's and hello Nokian WR SUV's! Talk to me next year after 15K miles, and see what I think!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts