Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Honda Pilot
I've changed the power steering o-rings and spark plugs. One spark plug was not even in. Seems to be coming from power steering area.Ratteling noise gets louder as pedal is pushed down. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
As I've pointed out, checking and retorquing spark plugs has become a maintenance item on Pilots because of their proclivity for backing out, unfortunately.

Now that you've taken care of that, whining that accompanies RPMs is usually the alternator dying, but you describe the noise as rattling. Can you post a video? Are you reading any codes?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Alternator bearings, power steering pump wear, drive belt tensioner bearings, water pump bearing, timing belt tensioner or pulley bearings, valves, exhaust manifold leaks, crankshaft pulley rubber isolator gone. All can make noise.

Step one would be to simply remove the serpentine drive belt, and see if you can reproduce. If the noise goes away, shut off the engine, and see if you can determine if there is bearing roughness from the alternator, ps pump, drive belt tensioner bearing, crankshaft pulley.

If it is still there, focus on the items that are not drive belt connected, which are going to be more of a pain and potentially $$$.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
This is the video.
To post a video, simply paste the Youtube video's URL into the response box. However, I think you can only do that after five posts on the forum.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hard to tell for sure - but it sounds like it could be a timing belt tensioner, or possibly the power steering pump. Does it eventually get better after it warms up or stay the same cold or hot?

Still I'll reiterate:

Step one would be to simply remove the serpentine drive belt, and see if you can reproduce. If the noise goes away, shut off the engine, and see if you can determine if there is bearing roughness from the alternator, ps pump, drive belt tensioner bearing, crankshaft pulley.

If it is still there with the drive belt removed, focus on the items that are not drive belt connected. (Timing belt tensioner, pulleys, water pump, valves, rod knocking, etc.)

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
How does the sound when you listen to it live compare to this video of my alternator whine?

Alternator issue?

Try the removing the serpentine belt troubleshooting method @boom suggests.

And/or could be a heat shield.

Mine was rattling a bit at red lights and stop signs. I bought a couple of large hose clamps for a quick and cheap DIY fix, but ended up getting it done at a trusted mechanic with a lift. Eric the Glib Car Guy shows how you can double up on hose clamps if you need more circumference. I wouldna thunk about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts